Chapter 15

A Matter of Trust

A sigh left Jun as he looked up at the sky from his favorite spot in the backyard. Kevin was in his dog form snoozing beside him, his ears twitching every now and again from either a dream or sounds Jun couldn't really tell with him sometimes.

"You really must like this spot," came Yunhyeong's voice as he walked over, going to sit beside Jun. "It's nice and shady," hummed Jun as he turned to look at Yunhyeong. "What brings you out here?" He asked. "I thought you had work," he said. "No," hummed Yunhyeong. "I have the day off today," he said. "Ah," hummed Jun as he nodded.

"What, I can't come hang out with you?" Asked Yunhyeong. "No no," said Jun as he shook his head. "You can," he added. "I just thought you may find this boring as hell, as Kevin apparently thought," he said, motioning to Kevin who twitched his body in response when he felt the contract react to the amusement coming from Jun before settling back down to sleep. Yunhyeong chuckled slightly. "No, I think we're good," he said.

 

~



"Kevin," said Yunhyeong. "What's up?" Asked Kevin as he turned to Yunhyeong. "What happens to you when Jun's wolf takes over?" Asked Yunhyeong. Kevin blinked in surprise. "Why are you asking?" He asked.

"I feel like it's going to happen one of these days," said Yunhyeong as he scratched the back of his head. "Ah," hummed Kevin. "Well, nothing should happen to me anyway," he said. "But Eric and Jacob may get affected the most," he added.

"The anger would have them in their animal forms going on a rampage," said Kevin. "At least, that's what happened last time," he said. "For some reason, even though his wolf didn't take over the anger did," he said.

"All while his body was shutting down," said Yunhyeong. "Yep," said Kevin. "Do you think it'll happen the next time?" He asked. "It's possible," said Kevin as he looked down at the floor, pretending to find something interesting to look at.

"The worst that could happen is that Daewon shuts down the program and causes both his and Jun's chips to shut down," said Kevin as he looked back up at Yunhyeong, his expression blank. "And then what?" Asked Yunhyeong. "I don't know," said Kevin. "Your guess is as good as mine," he said.

"Is there a way to restart it?" Asked Yunhyeong. "I'm sure there is," said Kevin. "Daewon may have the answer to that question," he said. "So ask him," he said. Yunhyeong hummed in response.

 

~



"You have a lot of nerve asking for my presence you know," said Eric as he and Haknyeon met Yunhyeong somewhere out of the way with Yunhyeong having the excuse of running errands for the day. "I just have a few questions," said Yunhyeong. "About what?" Asked Eric as he sat down in front of Yunhyeong with Haknyeon sitting at a nearby table to give them a little privacy.

"About the contract," said Yunhyeong. Eric leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table in a thinking pose. "What did you want to know?" He asked.

"What happened that day?" Asked Yunhyeong. "When Jun was captured?" Asked Eric. Yunhyeong nodded. "A lot of things," said Eric. "It was one of the scariest moments of our lives," he said. "Because we weren't sure what was going on for one, and we hoped that whatever was happening, Jun was fine," he said.

"Kevin was able to stay human for as long as possible, as he and Daewon went to find out what was going on," said Yunhyeong. "I'm sure," said Eric. "Kevin has the biggest connection contract wise compared to Jacob and I," he said.

"So what do you think will happen to you three if his body shuts down again?" Asked Yunhyeong. "We've discussed it before," said Eric. "But if the chips get shut down and the contract breaks well," he said, shrugging. "We're not really sure what happens at that point but," he added. "It hasn't happened yet, and we're determined to not let it happen," he said.

"Where is your scar anyway?" Asked Yunhyeong. "Right on my stomach," said Eric as he shrugged. "I don't know why it was placed there, nor do I care but," he said. "Unlike Jacob and Kevin I'm fine with being back," he said. "I see," hummed Yunhyeong.

 

~



Jacob was not really doing much when Yunhyeong approached him, with Yunhyeong having a small solo mission in Sweden that didn't require Jun to be there. Jacob had regarded him with a cold indifferent stare when Yunhyeong showed up at his doorstep but he let him stay for the duration of his mission.

"What, Jun didn't want to come along?" Asked Jacob as Yunhyeong returned from the one mission. "Well," said Yunhyeong as he shrugged. "I'm only mentoring him when he gets missions it looks like," he said.

"What's your real reason for coming here?" Asked Jacob. "I wanted to ask about Jun and your contract," said Yunhyeong. "I see," said Jacob as he sighed. "Come with me then," he said, going to his office. Yunhyeong followed after him and Jacob went to sit at his desk, motioning for Yunhyeong to pull up a chair. Yunhyeong pulled up a chair, sitting in front of the desk.

"What did you want to know?" Asked Jacob. "What will happen if the contract fails?" Asked Yunhyeong. "I don't know," Jacob said honestly. "I would assume that we'd become regular animals again," he said. "But what happens after that is my guess," he said. "I don't know what the contract details are, though I know that if Jun dies then we get released from these bodies," he said. "I see," said Yunhyeong.

 

~



"How was your mission with Jacob?" Asked Jun as he looked over at Yunhyeong. Yunhyeong shrugged. "It was nothing special," he said. "They could've done it themselves but everyone was busy," he said.

Kevin lifted up his head, sitting up as he put up his human illusion, showing that he was stretching. "Jacob mentioned that you had been over for one mission," he said. "I'm surprised really, he could've done it himself if he wanted," he said, a knowing look crossing his face as he looked at Yunhyeong. "Well," said Yunhyeong as he scratched the back of his head.