Chapter 19

A Matter of Trust

Jun, for what he was, did try and make the relationship between himself and Yunhyeong work. Yunhyeong was in the same boat, but as time went on they decided to take a break for a while. Jun's chip wouldn't allow them to truly be together, and with Jun soon getting more missions Yunhyeong was left to his own devices.

"It's not like you are rejecting me," said Yunhyeong. "We just need this break," he said. "I know," said Jun. "But we'll work it out, we always do," he said. "We have to right?" Asked Yunhyeong. "I don't think any of us want to have an insane werewolf on our hands, even if your chip may even suppress it," he said.

"Believe me, I don't think it will," said Jun as he turned away from Yunhyeong.

 

~



"We have to update our chips," said Daewon as he sat down in the chair beside Jun. "We do?" Asked Jun as he turned to Daewon. "I got a letter from our doctor," said Daewon as he passed over a letter. Jun took a second to compose himself before opening the letter and starting to read it.

"Sangbae survived," said Jun as he looked up at Daewon. "He is rendered pretty much an emotionless robot now, but yeah," said Daewon. "The doctor needed protection, and Sangbae provided it, in exchange for his humanity," he said. "The price to pay for staying alive," said Jun as he sighed, passing back the letter. "Exactly," said Daewon as he shook his head.

"When do we need to update our chips?" Asked Jun. "As soon as the phone gets updated," said Daewon as he shrugged. "The doctor is pushing for an update soon, we'll have to ask Eunwoo to use one of the rooms in the hospital," he said. "Right," Jun said with an exasperated sigh.

 

~



Yuto and Hoetaek showed up a few days later, with Yuto wanting to see Sanha and Hoetaek coming to get Hongseok. "You know," said Hoetaek as he sat down in front of Jun. "If I didn't know who you were I'm pretty sure this would've turned out differently," he said. "I'm sure," said Jun. "How is Hyojong doing?" He asked. "Better, now that he's in a place where no one will try and kill him," he said.

"He owes you one you know," said Hoetaek. "If it wasn't for you he'd probably be dead," he said. "I know," said Jun. "Just keep the dog under a tight leash, is all I ask," he said. "Don't worry, we will," said Hoetaek. Jun nodded.

 

~



"You have to update your chips?" Asked Eunwoo as he eyed Jun and Daewon warily. "It's nothing new," said Daewon as he shrugged. "We regularly update them to keep things going," he said. "At least, to make sure things are still going," he added. "We just need a sound proof room somewhere in your hospital," he said. "I'd have to ask Yixing about that," said Eunwoo. "Since it's his hospital," he added. "Right," said Jun. "We'll wait for your response," he said. "I'll see what I can do," said Eunwoo.
 

~



Jacob, Eric and Kevin all came over after making sure their territories would be fine for a few days to see how things were going with Jun. The three of them were aware the chips would be updated soon and wanted to make sure Jun would be fine with them being gone.

"Where are you three going?" Asked Jun as he turned to Jacob. "All three of us have a mission outside our respective countries," said Jacob. "So we'll be out of touch for a bit," he added. "I'm sure you'll get updates from the rest of our respective packs while we're gone," he said.

"Who's in charge of your information networks?" Asked Jun. "Sangyeon," said Jacob. "Haknyeon," said Eric. "And Juyeon is in charge of mine," said Kevin as he nodded. "Alright," said Jun. "I'll keep an eye out for anything from them," he said. "Good luck on your missions," he said. "I probably don't even need to tell you three to be safe," he said. "Nah," said Kevin as he shrugged. "We'll be fine," he said.

"Don't get into trouble now," said Jun. "We won't," said Jacob as he shook his head. "Well, Eric and I won't," he added. "Oi," whined Kevin, earning a chuckle from Jacob and Eric.

 

~



"Alright," said Eunwoo as he walked over and sat in front of Daewon. "You have a room for you," he said. "What do I need to get everything ready?" He asked. "I'll write down a list," said Daewon as he nodded. "Plus, you'll need to talk to our doctor," he said. "So you'll be in a call with him," he said.

"Is it safe to do so?" Asked Eunwoo. "Believe me, Sangbae needs to update his chip too, so yes," said Daewon. "Nothing will happen to you," he said. "If you need to bring someone in the room with you, I think it's fine," he said. "I'll have Moonbin in the room with me," said Eunwoo. "He does know what to do in case something goes wrong," he said.

"Shut down the chips, and restart them to force the update," said Daewon. "Hopefully he can read Mandarin," he said. "I'll tell him which button to touch on the screen," he said. Daewon nodded.

 

~



"Can you see me?" Asked their doctor as he sat in a chair. "Yes, I can see you," said Eunwoo as he booted the program on the computer screen to get everything ready. Jun and Daewon were putting nodes on certain spots around their heads, connecting wires to them and making sure they were in their right spots. Moonbin was next to Eunwoo, keeping an eye on Jun and Daewon to make sure nothing went wrong.

"Good," said the doctor. "Jun, Daewon," he said. "Yes?" Asked Daewon as he finished connecting the last wire to the node on Jun's head. "This one is going to hurt more than the last one," said the doctor. "Considering I was unconscious for the other updates, I'm sure it's nothing," said Jun as he moved away from Daewon after finishing connecting the wires.

"Are the chains necessary?" Asked Moonbin as he looked at the chains connecting to the table Jun and Daewon would be laying down on. "It's a precaution," said Jun as he went to attach the shackles to his ankles before doing the same to his wrists. Daewon had done the same thing, tugging at them to test the strength of it.

"It won't hold us down for long if we go berserk, but it'll hold us down long enough to get the chips shut down," said Jun as he laid down on the table. Daewon let out a soft sigh as he also laid down, staring up at the ceiling above him and bracing for the oncoming pain.

"Do you see the three connected charts?" Asked the Doctor. "I do," said Eunwoo as he nodded. "Good, do not stop the program until I say so," said the doctor. "We have to let it run it's course," he said. "WIll you start it?" Asked Eunwoo. "We have to do it at the same time," said the doctor. "Are you two ready?" Asked Eunwoo as he turned to Jun and Daewon. "As ready as we can be," said Jun. Daewon nodded in agreement.

"In 3... 2... 1... Go," said the doctor. Eunwoo pressed the button at the same time as the doctor, turning around when he heard Jun and Daewon's gasps. Jun arched up off the table before falling back and focusing the pain away from himself. It didn't mean he was completely numb however, as he refused to subject Kevin to that sort of pain he was feeling.

Daewon started thrashing around on the table, as if having a seizure, trying to focus on letting the chip update. They both had to let the chip update, but it was still hard on them as the pain caused them to nearly tear the chains off the tables.

Warning signs started going off on screen, and Eunwoo looked back at the screen in surprise. "Leave it, it's working," said the doctor. "How do you know?" Asked Eunwoo. "Sangbae is done," said the doctor, moving to let Eunwoo see Sangbae standing rigid behind the doctor.

It was then that the sounds of metal chains snapping caused Moonbin and Eunwoo to turn to where Daewon and Jun were, as they stood rigid, waiting for a command. "It worked," said Eunwoo. "Good," said the doctor. "Snap your fingers, after I end this call," he said. "It'll bring them out of it," he said. "Okay," said Eunwoo. "Stay safe, I will go now," said the doctor before he hung up. Eunwoo snapped his fingers, watching as Jun and Daewon seemed to come out of a daze, the headaches returning full force.

"Argh, I forgot how bad these headaches were," said Daewon as he rubbed the side of his head. "Are you two alright?" Asked Eunwoo. "We'll be fine," said Jun. "Just give it a week or so," he said. Moonbin walked over and took off the chains, letting them fall to the floor. "How do you feel?" He asked. "Other than wanting to complain about the headache? I'm fine," said Daewon. "We've had worse done to us," said Jun.

 

~



"So," said Yunhyeong. "It seems your chip updates have been successful," he said. "Yeah," said Jun as he turned his head to look at Yunhyeong. "Why?" He asked. "I'm glad," said Yunhyeong. "It seems like that helped you a bit more," he said. Jun hummed in response.

"You never told me what your relationship to Daewon was," said Yunhyeong. "It's complicated," said Jun as he shrugged. "When pushed to the limits of our abilities as werewolves, it's hard to come back from it," he said.

"He lost control, and let his wolf take over," said Yunhyeong. Jun nodded. "In a way, our chips help each other," he said. "Keeping ourselves grounded, is good for us two in a way, as survivors," he said. "Hm," hummed Yunhyeong.

 

~



Jun settled down in his usual spot in the backyard, laying back and looking up at the clouds. "You're not gonna see them off are you?" Asked Daewon as he appeared in Jun's view. "Nah," said Jun. "Hongseok will be fine with them I'm sure," he said. "He was with their pack before," said Daewon. Jun hummed in response.