Chapter 17

A Matter of Trust

"Take care of Chan alright?" Asked Jun as he stood with Daewon at the airport. "No worries," said Daewon. "I'll only be there for a month, then I'll be back," he said. "I'll make sure Chan's good with his new pack before coming back," he said. "Behave Chan," said Jun as he turned to Chan. "I'll try hyung," said Chan as he grinned up at Jun. "I have so much to live up to, considering Yedam had picked me out of everyone here," he said. "That you do," said Jun as he nodded, tousling Chan's hair before stepping back and letting Chan leave with Daewon.
 

~



Daewon woke with a gasp, sitting up as his chip pulsed, causing him to wake up. "You're awake," said Eunwoo as he walked over with his doctor's coat on. "Oh, you're on shift," said Daewon. "Where's Jun?" He asked, looking around the room. "He's right next door, Yunhyeong's just coming out of surgery so they'll be together when they wake up," said Eunwoo.

"How are the three brothers?" Asked Daewon. "Well, Eric and Jacob are finally in their human forms," said Eunwoo. "Kevin's taking longer but I think it's due to Jun being unconscious," he said. "How is Kevin?" Asked Daewon. "Distressed, and waiting," said Eunwoo. "That's what Jeongwoo and Sanggyun tell me anyway," he said. "Jun's a fighter," said Daewon as he shook his head. "He should be fine," he said. "Let's hope so yeah?" Asked Eunwoo. "I know so," said Daewon as he looked down at his hands.

 

~



"God damn it!" Shouted Daewon as he slammed Sangbae into the wall. "Why did you let him go alone?" He snarled. "I couldn't help it alright?" Asked Sangbae. "The government was getting on us since it took you so long to get back, Jun volunteered to go alone," he said. He shoved Daewon away, sending him crashing to the floor with a grunt. "I suggest you leave it," he said.

"Oh hell no," spat Daewon as he got to his feet, shaking off the feeling of dread as Sangbae's alpha aura nearly caused him to submit on the spot. "We're not the government's lapdogs," he growled. "I had no choice alright?!" Shouted Sangbae. "Everyone has a choice," snarled Daewon. "And if you're not going to rescue him, I'll do it myself," he spat, before turning and running out the door.

 

~



A relieved sigh left Daewon as he was finally able to leave his hospital room to go see Jun. Jun was still unconscious from what he was told, but ever since the incident he needed to be near his friend and fellow packmate, especially if said person was all he had left of the old pack.

"You're here," said Jinhwan as he entered the room with a vase of flowers and some food to prepare himself for the long days ahead. "Yeah, I was finally allowed to leave the room," said Daewon as he moved a strand of hair out of Jun's face.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd think you two were mates," said Jinhwan as he put the vase of flowers down somewhere. "Please," Daewon said with a snort. "If we were, I don't think I would've tolerated this happening," he said. "I would've killed Hongseok on the spot," he said. "Mates be damned," he added.

"Why do you care for him so much?" Asked Jinhwan. "Because, he saved me from myself," said Daewon as he moved away from Jun's bed and went to check on Yunhyeong. "What's that supposed to mean?" Asked Jinhwan. "You'll know soon enough I'm sure," said Daewon as he shook his head.

 

~



Their doctor was a crazy one, that was for sure. Micro chips that would control them to an extent and enhance their abilities? Quickening their healing rates? Even Jaeho was skeptical. Jun had no choice, as he was unconscious but no one else wanted to try it, not until someone else did it. Daewon was the first to volunteer, as he saw that it was accelerating Jun's recovery and with Eric there he was sure that they'd help Jun recover.

"I'll do it," said Daewon. "On the condition that I get the same chip as Jun's," he said. "Don't worry," said their doctor. "This will help you a lot," he said. "But, there is a kill switch," he added. "However for you and your friend, there won't be one," he said. "Your packmates will get it I'm sure," he added. "But for this one well," he said sighing. "I'll endure it," said Daewon.

First came the chip, it was shot straight into the left side of his brain, and then came the shock therapy. It caused Daewon so much pain, but he had to endure it. He had to endure it for Jun's sake. He thrashed on the table seizing as his brain and wolf tried to fight it off. It came to an end when he sat up, the chip finally integrated into his brain as his emotions shut down. It was at that moment when Jun finally woke, sitting up with a start and turning to look at Daewon. It had worked.

 

~



Daewon looked up from reading a book when he heard the door open, and in came Moonbin with Chanwoo and Donghan who was wheeling Hongseok around in a wheelchair. "He's finally awake?" Asked Daewon. "Functional too," said Moonbin. "Jun did a number on him, but now he can't even walk," he said. "Permanent damage then?" Asked Daewon. "Yeah," said Moonbin.

"How do you feel now dog?" Asked Daewon as he got a good look at Hongseok. "You really pissed off Jun, you are lucky that even his wolf respects 'shifter law," he said. Hongseok just looked away, refusing to speak.

"Is Jun going to wake up soon?" Asked Moonbin. "Probably," said Daewon as he looked at Moonbin. "It's going to be weeks before he does though, remembering from last time," he said. "Why?" He asked. "I thought the chip was reacting to something is all," said Moonbin. Daewon looked down at his twitching hands. "Oh, nah," he said, clenching his hands into fists. "I'm just naturally like this," he said. "Ah," said Moonbin.

 

~



"The twitching is going to be normal it seems," said Jun, his normal tone reduced to a flat one as he brought up his hand to look at it. "It seems so," said Daewon. "Lasting damage can do that to you, not everything can be healed," he said.

Eric stood beside them, looking ready to fight in his now fully grown grizzly bear form. "Well, I never thought I'd become the fighter of the pack but here I am," said Jun as he let his arm drop to the side, the slight twitching of his fingers still evident. "You ready to take this pack on?" Asked Daewon. "Revenge is best served on a silver platter of course," said Jun as he felt the chip pulse, causing himself and Eric to rush forward. Daewon sighed, before rushing after them.

 

~



Jun sat up abruptly, feeling the chip pulse to wake him up. "Jun?" Asked a voice from beside him and Jun turned his head to see Yunhyeong sitting in a chair next to his bed. "You-" said Jun before Yunhyeong tackled him, hugging him as tightly as he could without hurting him. "It's been 3 months!" Said Yunhyeong. "I'm sorry," mumbled Jun as he sighed.