Chapter 3

A Matter of Trust

Jun was wary around the other werewolves, as they were wary around him. He was sure that Jinhwan had told them to be wary around him anyway, and it was for good reason it seemed. Yunhyeong was watching him like a hawk, making sure Jun didn't repeat what he did to his brothers. It didn't mean that he couldn't talk to the 'shifters though, he took that opportunity as it came and went.
 

~



It started with Sanha first, as Sanha was the first to approach him, with the others observing what was going on from a distance. "Come on," said Sanha. "We're doing errands today!" He said, grabbing Jun by the arm and dragging him out the door once they both had their shoes on. Jun was surprisingly well behaved for the most part, though mostly had to do with Sanha being the youngest in the 'shifter's side of the pack. Even someone as cold as himself was capable of caring for someone. At times.

"Why'd you drag me along again?" Asked Jun as he went with Sanha as he did whatever errands were needed done that day. "Because," said Sanha. "Everyone else is busy, and Yunhyeong said I could take you out today," he said. "Plus, I've noticed you wanting to talk to us, the 'shifters I mean," he said. "I asked Moonbin and he said it was okay to talk with you so," he said, shrugging. "I see," said Jun.

"So what did you want to know?" Asked Sanha. "You're mated?" Asked Jun. "Yep!" Said Sanha. "His name's Yuto," he said. "He runs Chani's information network in Toronto," he said. "I still don't understand the reasoning behind having a human running a vampire's information network but," he said, shrugging.

"Why hasn't he been turned yet?" Asked Jun. "More due to me being adamant about him staying human," said Sanha. "He did ask me if he could be turned, but I am refusing to subject him to our life," he said. "He's already involved," said Jun. "I know," said Sanha. "But he deserves to live out his life," he said. "He deserves to stay human at least," he said. "I get it," said Jun.

"It's funny," said Sanha as he sighed. "He wants to be turned, but I refuse to get him turned into a vampire, and I doubt any werewolf would willingly turn him without my say so," he said. "On top of that I'd rather not get him more involved than he already is," he said. "Humans aren't meant to know about our world anyway," said Jun. "I know," said Sanha.

"Sometimes I think that if Yuto wasn't rescued by Hui, he would still be oblivious to our world," said Sanha. "I bet you it'd be the case," said Jun. "Humans are ignorant of our world," he said. "But," he added. "The government knows of our world," he said. "If they didn't we wouldn't be living the way we do," said Sanha. "That's true," said Jun.

"It's funny," said Sanha. "They use us for information sometimes too," he said. "I know," said Jun. "I know from experience," he muttered, rubbing a spot on the side of his head. Sanha blinked in confusion before turning to Jun. "It's nothing," said Jun as he let his arm drop to the side. Sanha looked skeptical but he didn't push the subject, knowing someone else from the 'shifter's side of the pack would get more information out of him. "Alright," he said.

 

~



A sigh left Jun as he was grouped with Rocky today, who needed to go grocery shopping. It was one of those rare days where Eunwoo was home for more than a few hours and Rocky was able to take the jeep to get groceries.

"I wasn't aware you had a car," said Jun as he was sitting in the passenger seat. "We live pretty close to the coffee shop, so we have no need for it," said Rocky as he drove. "Eunwoo is the only one who uses it really, but sometimes we need it for other things," he said.

"So what caused you to stop hunting?" Asked Jun as they walked into the grocery store. "Finding my mate," said Rocky as he went to get what they needed. "The human?" Asked Jun. Rocky nodded. "I think it's one of the reasons why Eunwoo retired too," he added. "Due to finding our mates in the same person," he said.

"Do you think you'd still be hunting today if you didn't?" Asked Jun. "For the most part? Yeah," said Rocky. "Hunting's in my blood apparently," he said. "I may have trained to be a fighter but I think if I was still with my family with my brother I'd be the one hunting while he went along to track and help get kills," he said. Jun hummed in response.

"What about you?" Asked Rocky. "I know I can't ask you what you were doing in China, but what did you do before then?" He asked. "Believe it or not, I'm a medic of sorts," said Jun. "I was the only one who volunteered as a hunter though, for my pack," he said. "Everyone else does other work for the government, and Daewon is the only one to hold onto the information network right now since he's been out of the country," he said.

"So in China you were still hunting, just not in a way that we do?" Asked Rocky. "Could say that," said Jun as he nodded. "How interesting," hummed Rocky as he steered the full cart towards the checkout lanes. "Not as interesting as your pack it seems," said Jun, earning a chuckle from Rocky. "I'm sure," said Rocky.

 

~



Jun found himself unable to sleep, sitting up in his bed that he had been staying in for the passed few weeks. He looked across the room to Jinhwan's bed, seeing that Jinhwan was still asleep, before getting up and grabbing his phone and heading out of the room as quietly as he could. He headed downstairs and put on his shoes before heading out the back door to sit in the grass in the backyard.

"Unable to sleep huh?" Came a voice, causing Jun to turn around to spot Jinwoo walking out the back door and closing the door behind him. "What brings you out here?" Asked Jun. "Just couldn't sleep, like you," said Jinwoo as he went to sit beside Jun.

"Everyone wants to talk to me lately," said Jun. "I'm one of few that won't, but for other reasons," said Jinwoo. "Eunwoo's busy and that's why he can't, and Jinhyuk's got a coffee shop to run while Chanwoo's gone for a bit," he said. Jun hummed in response.

"So what's causing you to not sleep?" Asked Jinwoo. "I'm used to being wide awake for long periods of time," said Jun as he shrugged, rubbing a spot on the side of his head again. "Is something wrong with your head?" Asked Jinwoo. "No no," said Jun. "I just have a small headache," he said.

It was true, Jun did have a small headache but it was always due to that damn chip in his head. Yes, it had enhanced his abilities but it made him unable to truly feel emotions nor get any sleep. He wasn't going to reveal that kind of information just yet though, it was something that they would have to figure out themselves.

"So," said Jun, forcing the headache to the back of his mind for the moment. "What is your role?" He asked. "In the pack? Other than being a hunter I'm a soldier," said Jinwoo as he shrugged. "Though most wouldn't be able to tell anyway," he added. "Right," said Jun. "Most couldn't tell that I'm a medic anyway," he added. "So I understand that logic," he said.

"What do you think of being in a pack that has the members of iKon in it?" Asked Jun. "You know," said Jinwoo. "There was a time where I was against them being in the pack," he confessed. "But there was something about the way they were determined to prove to us that they were capable of change that changed my opinion of them," he said. "It's been years since they've joined," he said. "And I can see even now how hard they're trying to keep being just normal people," he said. "Right," said Jun.

"What's your opinion of them?" Asked Jinwoo. "So far? I don't have much of one right now," said Jun. "I'm sure they more time I spend with your pack the more of an opinion I'll have," he said. "Right," said Jinwoo.

 

~



Eunwoo was the next person to talk to Jun, as Jinwoo told Eunwoo about his headache and being the doctor he was had to check on him to be sure he was alright.

"Are you alright?" Asked Eunwoo as he got Jun to sit down in his bed. "I'm fine," said Jun. "My headache isn't too bad today," he said. "Most days I can ignore it, others It gets to the point where I can't sleep," he said. "That's not good," said Eunwoo. "It's something I live with," said Jun as he shrugged. "That doesn't seem like a good thing to live with," said Eunwoo.

"It's something I've lived with since I lived in China," said Jun. "So it's something you can't elaborate on," said Eunwoo. Jun nodded. "Makes it frustrating when I can't tell you everything but," he said, sighing. "They're keeping an eye on you aren't they?" Asked Eunwoo. Jun nodded. "There's some things I can't reveal to you because of this damn confidentiality thing but what's stopping me from giving you hints?" He asked. Eunwoo hummed in response.

 

~



Oddly enough, Hongseok had been the one to approach Jun, being concerned over his ever present headache it seemed. "Wow, I thought he had you on a leash," said Jun as he was forced to sit down on his bed again. "Yunhyeong isn't that controlling now," said Hongseok as he shook his head before starting to examine Jun's head.

"What do you want dog?" Asked Jun, his bad mood due to how bad this particular headache was. "Oi," said Hongseok. "I'm just trying to help," he said. "By doing what? Getting more information out of me?" Asked Jun. "It's not gonna happen," he said. "I want to try something," said Hongseok as he poked a spot on Jun's head earning a hiss in pain from Jun.

"That hurt huh?" Asked Hongseok. "Obviously," said Jun, sarcasm dripping from his voice. "Sorry, it should be over soon," said Hongseok as he gently poked a different spot on Jun's head. "Leave it," said Jun, slapping Hongseok's hand away. "You're only making it worse," he grumbled, rubbing the side of his head the chip had been implanted on. "It's internal anyway, none of your pressure points crap is going to do much to help my headache," he said.

"So you and the kitty cat are not hunters?" Asked Jun as he managed to quell the migraine to a dull barely noticeable throbbing headache. "Jinhyuk? Yep," said Hongseok. "I'm a medic, and Jinhyuk's running the information network when Moonbin and Chanwoo are busy," he said.

"Don't you worry about him sometimes?" Asked Jun, referring to Yunhyeong. "I mean, as a hunter anyway," he added. "Sometimes," said Hongseok. "But I know enough to trust that he won't get himself intentionally killed anyway," he added.

"This trust thing is going to break," said Jun. "I know," confessed Hongseok. "I just hope it isn't soon," he said, sighing as he stepped away from Jun.

 

~



"Here kitty kitty!" Called Jun, catching Jinhyuk's attention as he was sitting in the backyard enjoying a small break from everything. "What do you want?" Asked Jinhyuk as he glared at Jun as he walked over. "Just a small conversation is all," said Jun as he sat beside Jinhyuk.

"How's the headache today?" Asked Jinhyuk, earning a grumble from Jun. "Noticeable today," said Jun as he shook his head. "But it's getting better," he said. "That's good," said Jinhyuk. "Everyone is talking about it," he said. "I know," said Jun. "But I can't elaborate on why these headaches are so damn frequent," he said.

"How's the information network?" Asked Jun as he changed the subject. "Fine," said Jinhyuk. "I think Daewon said he was coming over," he said. "Oh, that explains the increase in headaches," said Jun as he sighed. "What?" Asked Jinhyuk. "Nothing, nothing," grumbled Jun as he got up, going back inside to check on his emails and stuff.