Chapter 2

A Matter of Trust

Jun was not sure what he was expecting, being in a pack that consisted of the werewolves of the famous iKon faction and the foxes that consisted of Moonbin's faction. At least, iKon used to be the faction that everyone had feared anyway. He knew that they had merged with Moonbin's faction after becoming vampire hunters, but other than that he didn't really know much about them.

"You were in China huh?" Asked Moonbin as he was walking with Jun. "Mhm," said Jun as he looked down at his feet. "I'm not judging," said Moonbin as he shook his head. "I know your pack alpha, and Daewon," he said. "Is that why you didn't protest about Yunhyeong taking me under his wing?" Asked Jun. "Pretty much," said Moonbin as he nodded. "I knew I could trust you to a certain extant," he said. "Besides, even if you wanted you can't kill Yunhyeong anyway," he said. "That's true," said Jun.

"Why was iKon so feared?" Asked Jun. "Jinhwan was put in a situation that he couldn't get out of," said Moonbin. "He tried to get out of it," he added. "But due to the time and what was going on he had no choice," he said. "So he was forced to put his pack in that situation," said Jun. Moonbin nodded.

"He had to establish that yes, even though he was a werewolf, he could take out his own kind without issue," said Moonbin. "He was also doing it because he believed that his youngest brother was killed," he said. "He did it more for revenge on his brother, and then when the revenge was done he had no choice but to become a permanent hunter," he said.

"And he dragged the others into it," said Jun. "Yep," said Moonbin. "Harsh," said Jun. "He had no choice," said Moonbin. "Either make the others become werewolf hunters or risk losing everyone," he said. "That included Yunhyeong," said Jun. "Yep," said Moonbin. "He didn't want to lose the last of his family at the time," he said. "That makes sense, I think," said Jun.

 

~



Yunhyeong looked up from reading a book on the couch when he heard footsteps, spotting Jun walking over. "What do you want?" He asked. "I wanted to talk," said Jun. "About?" Asked Yunhyeong. "You," said Jun. "What about me?" Asked Yunhyeong.

"Since we're going to be working together, I want to know more about you," said Jun. "What do you want to know about me?" Asked Yunhyeong. "Other than what you already know from my own file?" He added. "I haven't looked at your file," said Jun. "Really? How shocking," said Yunhyeong. "I would rather you tell me about yourself instead," said Jun. "Uh huh," said Yunhyeong. "I'm serious," said Jun.

"What do you want to know?" Asked Yunhyeong as he put the book down after marking the page he was on. "Where did you get the scar across your face?" Asked Jun. "I was protecting Jinhwan during a mission gone wrong," said Yunhyeong. "He was quickly brought down by a couple of particularly strong soldiers and I had to work with Donghyuk to get the werewolves off him," he said. "I got the claw marks to the face and Donghyuk got the ones across the back of his neck," he said.

"Ouch," said Jun. "It doesn't hurt anymore," said Yunhyeong. "Donghyuk hasn't complained about the ones across the back of his neck in years and mine are just a pain to deal with when the humans are constantly talking about them," he said. "I can see that being an annoyance," said Jun.

"Was there a particularly bad memory of your time as a werewolf hunter?" Asked Jun. "Not really," said Yunhyeong. "I've had my fair share of killing families and such but I never touch the kids," he said. "The kids will grow up resenting us werewolf hunters but it was better than killing them outright," he said. "I see," said Jun.

"We didn't kill those we knew were innocent," said Yunhyeong as he shook his head. "We left them be, sometimes it was for the better, other times we killed them later because they sought revenge," he said.

"You followed the famous rule that Dongmyeong made," said Jun. "It started with us actually," said Yunhyeong. "But Dongmyeong was the one to make it mainstream," he said. "He used it as his faction mantra, with our permission of course," he added. "That was after he got it I assume anyway," he said. "Yeah, Dongmyeong's had the faction for a long time," said Jun.

 

~



"Do you regret it?" Asked Jun as he spoke with Chanwoo as they were making dinner. "Regret what?" Asked Chanwoo as he focused on the stove. "You know," said Jun.

"...Sometimes," said Chanwoo as he paused in his cooking. "But for the time it happened, I had no choice," he said. "It was something that Moonbin and I came to the decision to do," he said, focusing on the stove again. "I am trying to atone for my sins," he said. "But sometimes I feel like I truly broke them, my brothers I mean," he added. "It's hard... Just hard," he said. Jun hummed in response.

"Jinhwan's starting to come around again, but Yunhyeong's always been a hard person to crack," said Moonbin as he entered the kitchen. "At least Jinhwan's coming around again but maybe with you here you'd at least be able to get Yunhyeong to crack that cold exterior of his," he said.

 

~



"I find it odd that you're watching their human," said Jun as he stood beside Jinhwan on the steps leading up to the front door as he was keeping an eye on Dami, who was tending to the garden, since Rocky had to do something outside the city and Eunwoo was busy at the hospital with Hongseok.

"It's not that odd once you think about it," said Jinhwan as he shrugged. "I've never thought to do any harm to her, it's more of a sibling like relationship and it's really curbed my more... Violent tendencies," he said. "It's good, I guess," said Jun.

"I heard you interrogated my brother last night while making dinner," said Jinhwan. "I had a few questions for him," said Jun. "Nothing more," he added. "Leave Chan out of this alright? He has nothing to do with whatever shenanigans you may involve him in," he said. "Fine," said Jun.

 

~



"Oi," snarled Yunhyeong as he grabbed Jun by the shirt and slammed him into the wall. "Leave my brothers out of this alright?" He growled. "Hey hey," said Moonbin as he got between the two of them, pushing Yunhyeong away. "Go calm down right now," he said, pushing Yunhyeong out of the room. "He had no right to do that!" Shouted Yunhyeong as both Jinwoo and Rocky had made sure that Yunhyeong wouldn't make his way back into the room.

"I'm just trying to understand him," said Jun. "Maybe next time just make sure Yunhyeong lets you speak to those two," said Moonbin as he turned to Jun. "Yunhyeong is very protective when it comes to family," he said. "I can see that," said Jun.