Chapter 5

A Matter of Trust

Jun was wary around Moonbin especially, as he always was when around alphas of a 'shifter pack. It seemed that Moonbin had it out for him in particular, even if Jun did nothing wrong.

Chanwoo however, was more open with him than Moonbin was. Jun chalked it up to the fact that Chanwoo was just trying to expand his information network, and it was working for the most part. Daewon was willing to give him any and all information needed, so Chanwoo was fine with it.

 

~



"Apparently you know a lot about the 3 hunters that own Norway, Sweden and Finland," said Moonbin as he sat in front of Jun who was sitting at the kitchen island looking through his phone. "Eric, Jacob and Kevin? Yeah I know those three," hummed Jun. "Why are you asking?" He asked.

"We're trying to get in contact with at least one of them," said Moonbin. "Which one?" Asked Jun. "Eric," said Moonbin. "He's the closest to us isn't he?" He asked. "No," said Jun. "That'd be Jacob, as he's in Sweden," he said. "Unless you're talking about the one being closest to you via land travel that'd be Kevin, since he lives in Finland," he said.

"I guess that makes sense," said Moonbin. "I've been trying to get in touch with Eric because he's the youngest between the three of them," he said. "I don't think that's a good idea," said Jun. "Jacob and Kevin are protective over Eric, and even Eric's team is keeping an eye on things concerning their team leader," he said. "It's probably why you haven't much luck getting to him," he said.

"Also," said Jun as he looked up from his phone to look at Moonbin. "Eric's dealing with losing one of his own," he said. "So I really doubt he wants to talk to you," he said.

"He lost one of his own?" Asked Moonbin. "Well, more like he left," said Jun. "He left on his own accord though, because he's in China right now," he said. "I see," said Moonbin. "Is this information available or?" He asked. "The reason he left? Not really," said Jun.

"Eric kept things hush hush, and I don't think they'd like people snooping about their business when it's their business," said Jun as he shrugged, looking back down at his phone.

 

~



Chanwoo was working with Yunhyeong, Jinhwan, Rocky and Jeongwoo when Jun walked into the coffee shop to meet up with Daewon who had been away for a few days to update their employers and their pack.

"Daewon in yet?" Asked Jun. "No," said Chanwoo. "Said something about being slightly late," he said. "Mm," hummed Jun as he nodded. "I'll get the usual," he said, handing money over to Chanwoo. "Alright," said Chanwoo as he processed the order before handing back the change. "Anything else?" He asked. "Nope," said Jun as he turned and walked away, going to sit down.

"Alright," came a new voice as the door chimed, with 3 new people walking in. "You caught our attention, the hell do you want?" Asked the leader of the group.

"Who are you?" Asked Chanwoo. "Damn it," said Jun as he sighed. "I warned Moonbin against contacting him," he said, getting up. "Jacob," he said, walking over to said person. "Sangyeon, Younghoon," he added. "Leave it for you to be here huh?" Asked Jacob as he fixed his glaring at Jun who shrugged.

"I'm only here because of Yunhyeong," said Jun. "Moonbin's the one trying to contact Eric," he said. "I know, where is this idiot?" Asked Jacob. "He'll be here in a few minutes," said Chanwoo. "Go sit down," he added. "Unless you want one of us to remove you from this coffee shop?" He asked.

"I dare you," growled Jacob. "Is that a challenge kitty cat?" Asked Jun as he put an arm on Jacob's shoulder. "These guys know how to deal with your kind you know," he said. "Go sit down, relax," he added. "Then we can talk," he said. "Fine," said Jacob before he went to sit down with Yonghoon and Sangyeon. Jun shook his head and went to sit down across from them, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

~



Moonbin walked into the coffee shop with Eunwoo walking behind him, the both of them keeping a relaxed stance but even Jun could see that they were tense, though Moonbin hid it rather well considering the circumstances.

"Moonbin," called Jun, catching Moonbin's attention as he turned to face Jun, spotting Jacob, Sangyeon and Yonghoon. "You have guests," said Jun as he got up, moving tables so Moonbin could go speak with them. Moonbin and Eunwoo went to sit across from them while Jun moved closer to the counter, sitting down and crossing his left leg over his right knee and crossing his arms in thought.

"You leave our youngest out of this crap you understand?" Asked Jacob as he slammed his hand on the table, causing Moonbin to jump slightly in his chair as he hid it by adjusting in his chair. "You have our attention now, what the hell do you want?" He asked.

"We wanted to discuss making at least one of your countries public," said Moonbin as he took a few minutes to think of what to say. "And you decided that Eric was a prime target because he was the youngest team leader along with being the youngest in our entire team?" Asked Jacob. "That's cold man," he said.

"That says a lot coming from you," said Eunwoo. "Listen here kit," growled Younghoon as Jacob put up his hand to stop Yonghoon from starting a fight. "What you don't understand kit is that Eric just lost one of his own, to the damn Chinese government," Yonghoon said with so much hatred in his voice. "So leave him out of your territory business," he said.

"That explains the hostility towards Jun," said Moonbin. "Actually, we're great allies," said Sangyeon. "But we just hate what their government did to them," he said. "And, we can't even discuss that, due to confidentiality," he added.

The door chimed and in walked Daewon and someone new. "Man, I was not about to miss this fight," said the new person. "Behave Hyunjae," said Daewon as he slapped Hyunjae on the back of his head. "Oi," whined Hyunjae as he rubbed the back of his head.

"It's not even a fight, they're cowering," Jun said with a snicker, earning a scowl from Moonbin as he glared at Jun. "Ooh I'm scared," Jun said with sarcasm. "Daewon and I can probably take you out in like 5 minutes give or take," he said. "He's not wrong," said Daewon as he shrugged.

"How is Hyunjoon doing anyway?" Asked Jacob. "Fine," said Jun as he shrugged. "Get back to the discussion, I need to update a few things," he said. Jacob nodded. Hyunjae walked over and sat at a table behind Jacob and Daewon went to join Jun at his table.

 

~



"So we can let Chanwoo know, but not Moonbin?" Asked Jun as they were discussing the next step a few days later in the backyard. "Yep," said Daewon. "He does own the information network," said Jun. "I guess that would make sense," he said.

"I commend you for keeping things from escalating to a fight," said Chanwoo as he joined them outside, sitting beside Jun in the grass in the backyard. "I couldn't do that to them," said Jun. "Despite my cold nature and such I do care," he added.

"How's the headache been?" Asked Chanwoo. "Barely noticeable today," said Jun. Daewon nodded in agreement. "It's been normal since Jacob showed up," said Jun. "That's good I guess," said Chanwoo.

"So what's up?" Asked Chanwoo. "We were given the go ahead to tell you about what's been causing our headaches," said Jun. Chanwoo blinked, looking surprised. "You can let me know, but no one else?" He asked. "It has to do with Eric's situation," said Jun. "Well, partially," he added. "Ah," hummed Chanwoo.

"So what's causing these headaches?" Asked Chanwoo. "You know that we work for the government in China," said Jun. "Right," said Chanwoo. "And you know that they keep an eye on us," said Jun. "Yep," said Chanwoo.

"And you've noticed that we don't really show emotions," said Daewon. "That has some part to do with it?" Asked Chanwoo. "Our emotions are tied to our headaches in a way, yeah," said Jun. "Ouch," said Chanwoo. "We've learned to keep our emotions in check," said Jun. "Nothing really catches us off guard anymore," he said.

"So what's the cause of it?" Asked Chanwoo as he tilted his head to the side in question. "My pack, well except for Jaeho anyway, has computer chips imbedded into our brains," said Jun. "That... Makes a lot of sense actually," said Chanwoo. "How so?" Asked Jun.

"The way you tend to communicate without words tells a lot about how you are as a pack," said Chanwoo. "Is it even possible to communicate that way?" He asked. "Through the chips? I don't think so," said Jun. "They haven't updated them," said Daewon. "So no," he added.

"So other than the headaches, what does the chip really do?" Asked Chanwoo. "We're turned into soldiers," said Jun. "Our abilities are enhanced, even in human form, we're a lot stronger than most that have been alive for a long time," he said. "There are downsides to it though," he added. "Like the headaches," said Chanwoo. Jun nodded.

"There's a hidden kill switch," said Daewon. "It can kill us at any time if someone manages to activate it," he said. "Damn," said Chanwoo. "It's a stupid thing," Jun said, shaking his head.

"So why does this information have to do with Eric's situation?" Asked Chanwoo. "The one who left, was forced to leave," said Jun. "Hyunjoon left because they government needed him for whatever they were going to do with him or have his family go through what we did," he said. "Eric didn't stop him, as Hyunjoon was still under Chinese citizenship so," he said, shrugging. "Poor kid," said Chanwoo.