Chapter 14

A Matter of Trust

Jun was actually enjoying having Kevin around again. Despite his permanent dog status Kevin was a decent person to be around. "What was your role when you were alive again?" Asked Jun. "When I was still a 'shifter? I don't remember," said Kevin as he shrugged. "I feel like my side of the pack consisted of mostly trackers though, as Changmin and Chanhee are mostly used for that," he said. "Eric had the fighters from what I understand and Jacob had a medic in Younghoon while he and the others were hunters," he said.

"Though, everyone had medic training, I think," said Kevin as he thought it over. "It was something that was important, as Jacob had been in school to be a nurse before he started changing," he said. "There was a medic of sorts assigned to each side of the pack, I had Juyeon, Jacob had himself and Younghoon in case Jacob wasn't available, and Eric had Haknyeon," he said. "Hm," hummed Jun.

 

~



A sigh left Daewon as he leaned back in his chair, looking at his phone in thought as he sorted through his emails. "What's wrong?" Asked Jun as he sat beside Daewon. "Just information being passed around," said Daewon as he sighed again, putting his phone on the table. "Anything interesting happening?" Asked Jun. "Not really," hummed Daewon as he grabbed his cup of coffee and took a sip before putting it back on the table.

"How's things with you and Yunhyeong faring?" Asked Daewon. "They're faring," said Jun. "Sometimes I wonder how we're going to make things work, but I think Yunhyeong's just looking for reassurance that I won't do what Hongseok did," he said. "Which, I won't but," he said, shrugging. Daewon hummed in response.

"Where's Kevin?" Asked Daewon. "He went back home for a bit, Juyeon needed him for something," said Jun as he shrugged. "Ah," said Daewon.

 

~



Jun felt the contract react to something as he sat up, looking around the room. Kevin wasn't back yet, so Jun assumed it was someone else. He shook his head and got up from the bed he was now sharing with Yunhyeong and went to put on a shirt before leaving the room. It didn't get noticed by Yunhyeong as he had woke the moment he felt movement on the bed, but he assumed it was one of the others coming for a visit so he just went back to sleep.

Jun headed outside after putting on his shoes, spotting Eric standing in the backyard with his arms crossed over his chest. "Eric," said Jun. "Jun," said Eric as he let his arms drop to his side, shifting slightly as he relaxed.

"You came over by yourself?" Asked Jun. "I'm not staying long," said Eric as he shrugged. "I see you're doing better," he said. "I am," hummed Jun.

"Try and not get yourself killed next time alright?" Asked Eric. "No promises," said Jun as he shook his head. "But I'll try," he added. "I'm sorry for that though, I wasn't expecting that to happen in the first place," he said.

"The anger Jacob and I felt," said Eric as he shivered. "It's not something I want to feel again that's for sure," he said. "It's my wolf," said Jun as he shook his head. "He's always had anger issues, the contact was working it seems," he said. "Because my wolf didn't get any control when it was happening I think," he said. "I don't remember much about what happened," he said. "So I don't know what was happening back then," he said.

"It was hell on us though, I can tell you that," said Eric. "We weren't sure if we were going to be able to be human again or not," he said. "I tried to hold on as long as possible," said Jun. "I wasn't going to let the contract fail," he said. Eric nodded.

"I know," said Eric. "That's what I respect about you," he said. "You put others before yourself, and that's something I find very honorable," he said. "Coming from someone like you? That's quite the compliment," said Jun, earning a chuckle from Eric. "I know, I don't give out compliments that often but," Eric said, shrugging. "You deserve this one," he said. Jun nodded.

 

~



A few days after Eric's visit Kevin had come back, the old leather collar changed for a collar with a nylon strap that hung loosely around his neck. Jun had scoffed, the amusement felt through the contract and Kevin shook his head in embarrassment.

"After so long you finally decide to wear a collar," said Jun. "I can't help my dog self," said Kevin as he sighed. "And this time I made the decision myself," he said.

"Why did you choose to wear a collar?" Asked Jun. "Ah, well," said Kevin as he scratched the back of his head. "In case something happened again," he said. "Like what happened between Hongseok and I," said Jun. Kevin nodded. "Everyone is preparing for something like that to happen again," he said.

"With the way Hongseok went MIA, I think we'll be expecting something soon," said Jun. "I know," said Kevin.

 

~



Surprisingly enough, Jun and Yunhyeong were able to fall easily into a relationship that was considered stable considering the circumstances. Jun was able to reassure Yunhyeong that he wasn't leaving anytime soon, and Yunhyeong was able to accept Jun despite his slight handicaps with the chip and the contract.

It wasn't long after that when Jun had been sent off nearby to his first real mission. Yunhyeong was able to tag along to make sure the job was done correctly, and make sure that Jun didn't get killed.

"Harin huh?" Asked Jun as he looked at the details on his phone. "Apparently Yonghoon put the bounty on his head," said Yunhyeong as he shrugged. "Must be one of those werewolves then," said Jun.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Asked Yunhyeong. "I faced that a lot back home," said Jun. "Alphas of a pack would be kicked out because of a change in leadership or something," he said. "It happens all the time apparently," he said.

"China sounds like a messed up place," said Yunhyeong, earning a scoff from Jun. "It wasn't the best life, but when you did your work you were left alone," said Jun.

When they reached Harin's place of residence in the countryside outside of Berlin Jun looked around, his senses picking up on something. "What's up?" Asked Yunhyeong. "We may not be alone for this," said Jun as he straightened up on instinct. His instincts were screaming at him to do something, and only years of quick reflexes caused him to jump out of the way, grabbing Yunhyeong by the arm and dragging him behind something as shots were fired.

"I didn't think they'd finally send someone after me," called Harin as he stepped into the front yard with a rifle loaded and ready to fire. "Well then," said Jun as he moved out of his hiding spot.

"Ah, they sent the soldier huh?" Asked Harin as he aimed, firing at Jun. Jun waited until the last second to move to the side, letting it zip passed him and hit the ground behind him. "It'll take more than a rifle to kill me you know," said Jun, his voice becoming void of all emotion.

The chip pulsed and Jun rushed forward, grabbing the rifle and yanking it forward, sending Harin forward as he was caught by surprise. Jun disabled both of Harin's arms before turning the rifle on him as Harin was forced to let go of the rifle.

Harin kept a brave face on though Jun could see that he was shaking. "Are you ready to face your death?" Asked Jun as he tossed the rifle to the side. Harin spat in his face and Jun grabbed Harin by the throat and slammed him onto the ground on his back.

"Bad answer my friend," said Jun as he took a knife from the holster on his pants and quickly stabbed Harin in the heart. He forced it deep, holding down Harin as he struggled to move. When Harin stopped struggling Jun let go, taking the knife out and wiping it on Harin's clothes and putting the knife back in the holster.

"Damn," said Yunhyeong as he walked over. "Didn't think you'd go that far," he said. "Yeah, well," said Jun, his voice returning to its normal flat tone. Yunhyeong took a picture before going to dispose of the body. Once it was disposed of they headed back to Berlin.