Chapter 8

A Matter of Trust

Kevin was calm when Jun came back and Yunhyeong came outside with Chanwoo following after him. "Does Jinhwan know?" Asked Chanwoo. "About Daewon yes, but not about these three," said Jun, his voice void of all emotion all of the sudden. Kevin shivered as he got to his feet at the tone in Jun's voice while Eric and Jacob tensed.

"Are you alright?" Asked Chanwoo, referring to the chips. "We're fine," said Daewon as he shook his head. "Just had to... Dispatch our youngest," he muttered, turning away from Jun who growled at Daewon. "Sorry," said Daewon as he shook his head.

"C-Can you please control the emotions?" Asked Kevin as he shivered again, trying to stay calm. "J-Just enough to get these damn explanations done?" He asked. Jun took a deep breath, calming himself down as the headache finally disappeared. "Sorry," said Jun, the tone of his voice returning to normal for the most part.

Daewon let out a sigh as he patted Jun on the shoulder. "It's alright," he said. "I didn't mean to sound like a jerk," he said. "No, I get it," said Jun.

"Explanations?" Asked Yunhyeong. "Oh right," said Daewon. "The easiest thing to explain is that we have computer chips in our brains," he said. "It's what makes it seem like we're so cold," he said. Yunhyeong blinked in surprise. "That... Makes a lot of sense," he said.

"Our chips in particular are programmed the same way, thus we know what the other is feeling and we have an idea of where we are at times," said Jun. "Our headaches are matched to our emotions," he said. "The recent span of migraines have to do with these three," he said, motioning to Eric, Jacob and Kevin. "The cat, the dog, and the... Bear?" Asked Yunhyeong as he turned to Eric, Jacob and Kevin.

"I'm the kitty cat as Jun affectionately calls me," said Jacob as he waved. "I'm the dog," said Kevin as he scratched the back of his head. "And yes, I'm the bear," said Eric.

"So what do you three have to do with Jun?" Asked Yunhyeong. "The three of us are contract bound," said Kevin. "Each of us have an x shaped scar somewhere on our bodies and Jun is the main holder of our contract," he said.

That statement had caught Chanwoo and Yunhyeong off guard. "Wait a second," said Chanwoo. "What?" He asked. "That explains the large x shaped scar across your back," said Yunhyeong as he blinked.

"I didn't bring them back all at once," said Jun. "Eric was first, then Jacob, then Kevin," he said. "Physically I'm the youngest, but in terms of when we were brought back Kevin is the youngest," said Eric.

"How is this contract different from others?" Asked Chanwoo. "For one, the scars," said Jun. "They can't be transferred," he added. "But the biggest thing is transferring basically everything having to do with emotions and stuff," he said. "Jacob has my anger, Eric has my alpha aura and Kevin has all my emotions," he said. "The chip did the rest, I'm basically a living soldier," he said.

"You wouldn't be alive without the chip," said Daewon. "No," said Jun. "My body was broken," he said. "Even before those three came into existence," he added. "Now we can't return to China because of what they did," he said.

"What will happen if the chips were removed?" Asked Chanwoo. "I'd die, and these three die with me," said Jun. "As much as I want to remove it, I won't live as some weird thing with the contract has one kill switch tied to it," he said. "It will kill me," he said.

"They killed the real kill switch," said Daewon. "But Jun's is still there if he gets his chip removed," he said.

"Do you mind being like this?" Asked Chanwoo. "I'd be dead if not for those chips," said Jun. "So, no not really," he said. "I'm just here," said Daewon. "The chip keeps me grounded," he added. "And since Jun's the last member of my pack well," he said, shrugging.

"If there was a way to nullify the contract for enough time to remove the chip would it work?" Asked Chanwoo. "I suppose it's possible," said Jun. "But this isn't the tattoo contract, or whatever the wolf dog has," he added.

"Theoretically," said Chanwoo. "If we were to remove the chip, what would happen?" He asked. "My body would shut down," said Jun. "The chip is what essentially is keeping me alive right now," he said. "I'm technically a life line," said Daewon as he scratched the back of his head. "But I don't provide much except if something were to happen I'd be able to find him relatively quickly," he said.

"What happened if you don't mind me asking?" Asked Chanwoo. "To my body you mean?" Asked Jun. Chanwoo nodded. "I was nearly killed by a rival pack," said Jun. "I was captured by them and tortured for information," he said.

"My wolf kept me going, but it almost caused me to lose my humanity because the wolf was taking so much of the torture," he said. "My body was useless at that point, and bringing Eric back helped me at least regain some of my humanity after I was rescued until I brought back the other two," he said.

"Is that why... Is that why you two refuse to be away from each other for too long?" Asked Yunhyeong. "I nearly lost him once, it's not happening again," growled Daewon.

 

~



Jun could feel the last dredges of his humanity leaving him as he was chained to the wall. Everything hurt, but it was fading. He almost welcomed the comfort his wolf gave him, though he knew it wouldn't be long before he let the wolf completely take over. He closed his eyes, slipping into the darkness.

"Jun?! Jun!" Came a voice what felt like an eternity later. "Jun!" Came the voice again and Jun opened his eyes to look up at Daewon and a grizzly bear cub sitting beside him. "H-Hyung," coughed Jun as he tried to move. "Shhh," said Daewon. "It's okay," he said, gently pushing Jun back onto the bed. "We're gonna fix you okay?" He asked. "Go back to sleep," he said.

 

~



Eric looked away from the group, clenching his hands into fists. "It hurt you know," he said. "To see him like that," he said. "I thought I was gonna lose my contract owner as soon as I came back," he said. "I don't regret it though," he added. "I helped save you," he said, turning to Jun. "I appreciate it," said Jun as he nodded. "More than you think I do," he added.