13.

The Night Crew

Apparently, the queen has heard about the apparent attack of the king on me. Because she rushes towards us, as she is being followed by her maids, and she is accompanied by the prince. The prince seems to smile at first, but his expression turns to concern when he sees my facial expression. I can't recover like this and I don't think that I'm able to recover as long as the king is planning to kill me. I need to get away from here, I need to hide outside of the palace. Maybe I can still use the plan to fake my death, so that this weird guy and the king won't stop looking for me.

''We heard the noises, but what was going on there?'' the queen asks as four out of five The Night Crew members, minus me since Joon Gi carries me, have bowed for the queen and the prince. I look behind me in the mean time to see if the king is coming after me, but it seems he isn't. But I turn away when I hear screams coming from that direction and those screams aren't pleasing at all, they sound horrific. None of us seem to answer the question, as the queen orders us to come with her. So we follow her to wherever we're going to, but I wonder if this is enough to keep the king away from me since he isn't going to let me breathe for just one second.

We make sure that no one notices that we're moving to another room within the palace and once we make it, the queen lets guard keep an eye on the room once we are all inside. After the doors are closed, Seonghwa helps me to let go of Joon Gi's back and I carefully take a seat on the floor. I can feel that I'm not okay, as I feel a lot of pain shoot through my body. I groan in pain and Seonghwa holds me close, as the rest is looking at me and it's both the queen and Yunho who make their way to me as they ask if I'm okay. I shake my head and I flinch, as more pain shoots through my body. The king has injured me deeply and I thought I would be okay, but apparently this will take a longer time than I originally thought it would take.

''The king was trying to finish what he had started, he was seriously trying to kill Taekwoon. Those ghosts must keep telling him that he has to kill Taekwoon for some reason.'' Yunho says as he streaks through my hair to comfort me. The queen makes her way to me and takes a seat on her knees next to me, as she places a hand on my shoulder. I can tell that she is very concerned about me, because she isn't smiling and she isn't very talkative either. She looks at the prince with a concerned look and she whispers something to the prince that I'm unable to hear.

''I think it's time to let you stay in a room which the king doesn't have access to, because this is a big concern to me. I don't want my nephew to get hurt even more, because I want you to be fully recovered when you're up next to rule over Joseon.'' the queen says and my eyes widen at the time I recall a memory of not that long ago, when the prince said that I was born next in line to rule. Honestly, I don't want to rule over a country like Joseon. I am living outside of these walls and I'm happy with my life outside these walls. I'm not capable of carrying the weight of an entire nation on my shoulders.

The prince accompanies us and forces a faint smile on his face. The flirty personality has disappeared and has changed with a worried personality. I wonder if he is always like this or if he is just acting worried towards me just because he likes me. I still haven't forgotten about his kiss, which came completely unexpected and it was in front of everyone who is here aswell.

''We're keeping you here from now on, because we need to prepare you for when it's your time to take the big responsibility and to rule over Joseon.'' the prince says and my eyes widen, as I'm looking at Yunho, who is as surprised as I am. I don't want to stay here, I want to stay anonymous and I want to live a normal life. The life within these walls isn't something for me and I don't want to come across as a lunatic to those that I have lived with. So whenever I am fully recovered, I am going to leave this place. The queen carefully pulls me away from Seonghwa and Yunho, as she carefully pulls me in for a hug.

''Taekwoon, you need to understand that you can't go back anymore. We need you to prepare for your big day, because we need to bring someone forward who is going to give Joseon hope. You can't stay with your team for now, because of your recovery. And even after that, you can't stay with them. Your busy schedule won't let you.'' the queen says and I hear Yunho, Seonghwa and Byeongkwan groan in irritation. I look up at her with a mixture of emotions. The Night Crew is a part of me and I have to do this, I just can't surrender to whatever they're saying. Just when I think it can't get any worse, something happens that I've never had before. I see the queen's eyes widen and she gasps, before I look at my teammates. They also start to react the same way and Yunho even crawls to me, while placing his hands on both of my cheeks.

''Taekwoon, you're... you're eyes are no longer the chocolate color they used to be. They've turned... they've turned into a bright orange.'' Yunho says and I look confused at him. My eyes are bright orange? Does it have to do something with me being an element bender? I don't know, but probably it is. Yunho grabs a piece of glass and holds it in front of me, after he had let go of me, while I can see a reflection of myself... and it scares me. In the reflection, I can see where Yunho was talking about... my eyes are bright orange instead of chocolate brown. Did this happen because of my mixed emotions or is it because I'm angry? Whatever it is, I never had this before and this is the first time I've experienced it.

I look around me and I see a candle lit, much to my relief. I want to show the queen that I am in fact an element bender. They may have heard it, but I want to prove that I actually am one... the last one in my kind. This guy that had captured me earlier can't get his hands on me this time, I will beat all of his lovely helpers and I will make sure that I can end him aswell. I wanna see how they react to fire. So I start to use a little firebending and the queen gasps as she lets go of me. I still feel pain, but I can endure it when I'm firebending. Even when I'm waterbending, I'm able to endure the pain that my injuries are giving. The queen continues to gasp and even the prince gasps when he sees what I'm capable of with firebending.

''Mother, you were right about this all this time. Taekwoon indeed is the last firebender and waterbender and he indeed is the one who becomes the new king.'' the prince says and I manage to hold the fire in my hand as a little flame, which I reach out to the queen and the prince to show what I just did. I not only want to impress them, I also want them to be serious about this. If I die, the royal chain is broken. I don't know much about my uncle who rules now, but what I do know is that he can't bend any elements. He doesn't know how to bend fire or water. So I can easily replace him if I want to, but I don't want it. I don't want to live a life that I didn't grow up with.