19.

The Night Crew

Moments later, we're on the square in front of the palace where the supposed ceremony is taking place. The king, the queen, prince Hakyeon and I sit on a small stage, facing the attendees. I hate it to recieve all of the attention, but I know that it won't go away due to my position. But as long as it isn't safe and as long as the king still sees me as a threat, I don't want to take the throne. I also don't think that the taoist priest allows me to take the throne, as he brainwashes the king.

While the ceremony has begun, I feel restless. I feel restless because of not having The Night Crew near me, I don't feel safe. I still hope that the team is around to keep an eye on me and to take action once it is going out of hand. I look at the rooftops to see if I can spot the team and I panic, although I know deep down that panic isn't the right feeling here. If someone says I can't have The Night Crew around me, they still go against the rules and make sure that they can keep an eye on me. I don't even pay attention to the ceremony, because The Night Crew is my only priority now.

I softly sigh out of relief when I see Yunho, Byeongkwan, Seonghwa and Joon Gi at the rooftop. Byeongkwan quickly waves at me and they hide again after I slightly nod into their direction. I can't make it obvious that I see them, because I am sure that the queen will take strict measures to keep them out of the gates. However, that goes against my request and my wish is their command. 

My eyes are focussed on the taoist priest, because I need to keep a close eye on every little step in his actions. I need to keep an eye on his emotions and I need to know whatever he is up to. But I can also hear the king whisper anything about me, wishing me dead and he also is plotting something against me. Hmm, I need to discuss this with the rest of the team. Because this will for sure end up at the taoist priest and the priest will prepare something that will cause my downfall, or so he thinks. I'm not affraid to die, but it's not the right moment to go. I need to make sure that the taoist priest doesn't get the kingdom in his hands, I don't care what happens to the king... if I can't get him sane again.

The taoist priest has started with sacrificing something, but I can't see what he is doing because the king is basically covering me and I am not in the mood to ask him anything. I know that the king wants to kill me right here and right now. Whatever the king is trying to do, The Night Crew will prevent that he can't touch me with even one finger. In the mean time, I hear the three ghosts behind me and they warn me immediately that things are about to go down from now... they ask me to leave right now. I look at them and with just one look, I can explain to them that I have nowhere to go and that the queen will keep an eye on me.

''My prince, you need to leave now. Because that priest is going to ask you to come forward and he will sacrifice you up next. You need to leave, NOW!'' one of the ghosts whispers in my ear and shivers run down my spine. I take a deep breath and I get up, but I stay low immediately. The priest can't know that I just left my seat, no one can know. The three ghosts help me to escape by crawling under a piece of the tent that is over our heads. Right after I managed to escape, someone pulls at my arm and drags me inside the palace. Just when I arrive in the palace, I can see who just pulled at my arm... Yunho.

''You just got me out of there at the right moment, Yunho. I was warned by the three ghosts to leave, because that priest would sacrifice me up next.'' I explain to Yunho and before Yunho can express anything, the rest of the team joins immediately. They all are shocked by what I just said, but they still react differently. Seonghwa seems disappointed in his friend that the prince just let this happen to me, Byeongkwan is about to cry and both Joon Gi and Yunho are about to explode out of anger.

''But what are we going to do now?'' Byeongkwan immediately asks and maintains to keep himself together. I look at the four of them and I take a deep breath. The queen once again will come at me and express that she wants The Night Crew gone, because they always take me away from everything. But they are doing it with a reason... danger is always lurking and that danger is coming for me.

''First, I need to change my outfit. Second, we just have to go there and fight. We are strong people and we can do this, though I am the one who should encounter the taoist. He may be in control of the ghosts, but I can chase the ghosts away with fire. But also, fire is the only element to take this priest down.'' I explain and the four of them nod. I know that Yunho doesn't want to let me encounter this priest on my own, but this is the only way to take him down. If it doesn't happen tonight, then I don't know when it will.

The five of us hurry to my room, while the footsteps of the prince are following us. I know that the prince is coming after us, but he won't enter my room at all. Seonghwa and Joon Gi are standing at the door, so that prince Hakyeon has no chance of entering my room. I asked Seonghwa to do this, since I know that he and the prince are friends. Yunho and Byeongkwan help me to get me changed into the scholar outfit and while Yunho is still busy with I don't know what, Byeongkwan applies the mask onto my face and ties it at the back of my head. To secure it, he adds hairclips at the back of my head to make sure that the mask won't come off.

''Taekwoon-ah, let me in! You can't leave us there like that! The priest was about to ask you to come forward.'' the prince says, while Seonghwa and Joon Gi are standing against the door.

''No my prince, you won't come in! We aren't going to sacrifice our friend here. And as long as you continue to expose him to such danger, you're not allowed to date him. That's my rule to you!'' Seonghwa fires back and this is the first time that I hear Seonghwa being this mad. I never put Seonghwa's dedication in question, but this shows that he would walk through fire for me to protect me. 

''What? Seonghwa, no! Did you just-? Ah, forget it!'' the prince yells and walks away. I sigh out of relief and I raise a thumb towards Seonghwa when he looks at me again. I am ready to show the palace who I truly am and what I am capable of. I, Jung Taekwoon, am the last waterbender and firebender and I am going to show that the throne is mine to protect.