21.

The Night Crew

When I wake up some time later, I can tell that we have a lot of company in the room. Aside from the four members of my team, I am also accompanied by the king, the queen and even the prince. I am surprised to see the king in my room, but maybe he finally has come to his senses and finally recognises me after all this time. I still don't like to be around the king actually, because I am not sure if he is still under that spell or not.

''How do you feel?'' Yunho softly asks me. Yunho knows me better than anyone and he knows that you shouldn't ask me straight to the point when I wake up, because I am not in such mood. I raise a thumb, as my brain refuses to let me speak. The queen seems relieved, as she places a hand on her heart. The prince smiles brightly and I can tell that he struggles to not being able to wrap his arms around me, but he accepts my wish of leaving me alone for now since I need time to get my strength again.

''Glad to know that you're okay. It's been a few days since you gave all of your energy, but you indeed cleared the sky. You chased all of the ghosts away and we also made sure that the Northern gate is closed, since one of your friends here said that they entered our city from there.'' the king starts to speak and I can't help but look at him with a surprised look. The king... he speaks normal again. He doesn't hate me?

''It's okay Taekwoon, he was under a spell and that caused him to act in such a brutal way to you. But after he came back to his senses, we explained to him what happened and he felt guilty after he realised what he had done to you. He also is convinced that you deserve the title of a king more than he deserved the title himself.'' the queen explains and my eyes remain wide. What? How fast does he want me to be on that throne? I-I mean, I still don't like my position and I never had proper training on how to act like a king. I never got that training, because everyone was focussed on how to get the ghosts away.

''Taekwoon! Psst! Over here!'' I hear a female voice say softly. I slowly turn my head into the voice's direction and I see the three ghosts standing there. One of the ghosts takes a seat on her knees next to Yunho and she places a hand on my cheek. This hand feels like a real hand, but I am still the only one who can see her. Yunho wants to ask me what I'm seeing now, but he doesn't and looks into the direction of Seonghwa and the others as he knows who I talk to... the three ghosts that have been around me all this time.

''You did it! You got rid off the ghosts that have been haunting this place and you also got rid off the one who controlled the ghosts. I cannot be more proud of you, my son.'' the ghost says and I try to process what she just said. My son? Does she know me? But I don't know her at all, I have no idea how she is related to me in any way.

''Wait... d-does that mean...?'' I trail off as I start to look for the right answer. How does she know me? She said 'my son', so she must be someone I am related to. Is she my mum? No, that can't be. She can't be related to me. She nods and the smile she has on her face hasn't left, as she plants a kiss on my forehead.

''Mum?'' I ask and she continues to nod at me. Tears stream down my face shortly after realisation hits me. This woman has been with me all this time, my mother was always around me. She hugs me and she starts to cry aswell. She was with me all this time and I never realised it, I just thought she and the other two ghosts were a burden to me, but it seems she has been keeping an eye on me all this time.

''My son, you've done so well. Look where you are now, you are going to change this kingdom and I have trust in you. I have seen you grow up in a normal place and you have worked hard to be where you are now, you're going to be the king this kingdom one day. I may leave in this form, but I'll look down on you from above. I am proud of you, my son.'' she says, as tears form in her eyes. I sob even harder when she pulls me into a tight hug. I feel terrible for not recognising her earlier, but I am glad that I at least got those answers.

When she lets go of me, she waves one more time before she gets up and she disappears shortly after that. I continue to cry, as a pair of arms wrap around me... Yunho. Yunho pulls me up and tightens his grip on me as I burry my head into Yunho's shoulder. In the mean time, I can hear the queen gasp and she immediately whispers to the king what she believes I cry about. I finally know why those three ghosts were around me and although I didn't ask the other two ghosts who they were, I'll find out soon who they were. I don't even know who protected me when I was a young kid, but I want to take the time to find out who they were.

''I know that you can see ghosts, but it never would've crossed my mind that your mother was around you all this time.'' the queen says and it's now the prince who gasps. The queen's hand rests on my back and it's then that the king starts to clear his throat, as if he wants to show that he is still alive and kicking. I am glad that the king is in his normal state again, but I don't want this to be over. I loved to show off my power and yet staying hidden for the royal family. I don't want the team to disband.

I lift up my head to make eyecontact with Yunho. I don't want to talk with the king, the queen and the prince right now. It was an instant reaction to speak to the ghost, but it feels like my mouth is like concrete. I'll leave the talk to Yunho, as he always has acted like my bodyguard. Yunho knows me better than everyone else. Seonghwa sighs and softly expresses his disappointment in the prince to shift the attention away from me. Seonghwa shares that he doesn't like how his friend threw me under the bus, but tried to flirt with me at the same time. The prince sounds surprised that Seonghwa just dropped this, though he also sounds a little annoyed that his friend kinda turned his back against him.

''My prince, it's true! You were so obsessed with what this taoist priest was doing, that you threw Taekwoon under the bus. Your Majesty The Queen was no different unfortunately, as she forced Taekwoon to cut ties with us. I understand she wanted the best for Taekwoon, but this wasn't the best for him. Trust me, we know him better than you have known him. Before Taekwoon was taken to this place, we knew him the best after he lost his parents. We stood up for Taekwoon and we acted like his bodyguards, Taekwoon was used to us around him. All of you wanted to break that by isolating Taekwoon and by sacrificing him to the taoist priest!'' Byeongkwan snaps and this is the first time I have heard Byeongkwan being this angry. He usually is a clumsy guy who I haven't seen become this angry, but this is a side I have never known of him. And although my brain doesn't let me speak, I feel relieved to know that the team still stands behind me and also will stay with me for the rest of my life.