Identity

Mount Halla

 

On Saturday, Kyuhyun drove to the police station with Sungmin. Though Kyuhyun would like Bunny to recall her past as much as possible, but part of him still prefer her not to know, so that she could still be with him. But, he knew one day Bunny would remember everything and went back to her previous life.

"Hae!!" Kyuhyun called up his friend's name the minute he pushed open the glass door.

"Heyyy Kyu!!" police officer Lee Donghae got up and gave Kyuhyun a friendly hug.

"Hae, this is Bunny, the girl I was telling you about, and Bunny, this is Lee Donghae, police officer in charge of this precinct"

Sungmin bowed politely and shook his extended hand. 

"Come into this room, I'll bring over the bag" Donghae gestured them to a room on his right and he switched on the room light. Kyuhyun pulled a chair for Sungmin and they sat, quietly waiting for Donghae to bring in the bag. 

Kyuhyun reached over to hold Sungmin's hand "Bunny, don't force yourself to remember, okay. Let your memories come back naturally. Anyway I want to get a phone for you, so it's good that you will have your ID and passport back". 

Sungmin nodded. She was feeling nervous but happy that at least she knows her identity. She was glad that Kyuhyun has always been encouraging and supportive, and even if she recalled most of her memories, she wanted to stay here with him, after she could settle whatever she had left behind these past few months. 

Donghae came in with a pinkish-dirt-brown backpack, wrapped in a police white clear plastic wrapper. He passed a document to Kyuhyun and a paper. "Kyu, this is just for procedure. You have to sign to inspect a police custody item, and if the bag really belongs to Miss Bunny, then I will need to take a fingerprint sample and she will also need to sign the lost and found form". 

"Sure, Hae, no problem" Kyuhyun took the document and signed on it. 

"O-kay. I will open it and let you two inspect the item. We have sent the fingerprints found on this bag to the lab, and has gotten back the results. It belongs to Miss Lee Sungmin, from Seoul, and matches the ID in this bag. I guessed the motorbike guy wore a glove, that's why there wasn't any other fingerprints. The grass-cutter wore gloves too". Donghae gently pushed the bag towards Sungmin, and excused himself, to give them some privacy. 

Sungmin's hands were shaking as she held the bag. She ran her fingers along the zip and slowly ped it. She took out the contents and unconsciously, her tears started flowing down. Kyuhyun took out his handkerchief and wipe her tears.

"Bunny..."

"I'm okay..." she smile, but Kyuhyun could tell that she beginning to see some sad images.

"What did you recall...?"

Sungmin held her wallet with her ID card and her air ticket "I was in a plane, and took my backpack from the overhead compartment, and left the plane. I took a bus, but I must have slept, and when I woke up, I was at the terminal end, and missed the starting area of the trail. That was when I was walking towards the bridge" she said slowly, while wiping her tears with Kyuhyun's handkerchief.

Kyuhyun squeezed and patted her hand to calm her down, and took out more things from her backpack. There were a pair of pants, 2 teeshirts and a pouch of her innerwears, and the rest were her toiletries. There was a receipt of something bought from a travel shop with her signature on it, but other than that, there were nothing else, so Kyuhyun arranged her clothings back into the bag. Donghae came in with a digital pad and a laptop, and asked Sungmin politely to place her thumb and fingers each on the pad to scan in order to match the fingerprints.

While the system did a matching, Donghae passed a form to Sungmin to sign for lost and found item. For the 1st time, Bunny wrote her real name, Lee Sungmin, and her ID number. She hesitated to sign, and looked confused, until Kyuhyun said  "Bunny, just signed anything, don't have to try to recall how you signed previously". 

However, subconsciously, she signed and was amazed at herself. Kyuhyun took out the receipt that he saw, and compared the signatures. He looked up at Bunny and held the receipt against the form. Both signatures looked alike!

The system completed the matching, and her fingerprints matched with the fingerprints that the police got from the bag. Donghae said "Alright! You are the rightful owner of this bag! And you are confirmed to be Miss Lee Sungmin!" 

"Hae, do you have her last known address and whether there's any contact numbers in the system?" Kyuhyun asked his friend. 

"Yup, I got it. Hold on, I take the file from my desk" 

"Bunny, you okay...?" Kyuhyun asked, since she was quiet since just now. 

"I was trying to recall why I came to Jeju...." 

"Don't force yourself. Once we have your address or any contact numbers, we can try link up with your family in Seoul" Kyuhyun told her. He suspected that her family didn't know that she was missing as she has been staying with her grandmother. 

Donghae came back with his file. "Based on information that we got from Seoul police, there are two addresses, one in Ilsan and one in Gwangneung" and Donghae showed the printout to Kyuhyun. There were contact numbers too, and Kyuhyun asked Donghae's permission to take a photo of the document. 

They left the police station with the backpack after conveying their thanks to Donghae. Kyuhyun drove to the city centre to buy a handphone for Bunny. He wanted to be in contact with Bunny in case she decided to go back to Seoul.

"Thank you for buying a phone and registered a number for me. I don't know how I could ever repay you, Kyu" Bunny said once they have reached home and Kyuhyun charged her new handphone for her. 

"Just stay with me and don't go away..." Kyuhyun said in his heart. Instead, he said "Don't mention it. Come, let me saved my number in your phone" and he saved her number in his phone too. 

He took a photo of her, and put her photo as her home screen. Bunny grabbed back her phone and took a photo of Kyuhyun change the home screen and lock screen to be his photo! They were laughing and Kyuhyun grabbed it back and snapped her photo again and Bunny tried to grab it, causing Kyuhyun to lost his balance and fall backwards to the sofa, and pulling her with him. 

She fall on top of him and their faces were inches apart. Staring at each other, Kyuhyun reached up and kissed her, and placed the phone safely somewhere at the end of the sofa. When Sungmin responded to his kiss, he held her face and kissed her properly, and then carefully turned his body so that Sungmin slowly dropped to his side at the inner side of the sofa. 

They continued kissing and when they stopped for breath, Kyuhyun caressed her face lovingly. "I like you a lot, and I think I've fallen in love with you..." Kyuhyun said with his heart in his eyes. 

Sungmin responded by kissing him again "I like you a lot too and owe you my life! I think I'm in love with you too..." 

Kyuhyun smile happily and they started kissing again. They eventually sat up and Sungmin rest her head in Kyuhyun's arms. 

"Kyu, I'm not sure if I should go back to Seoul, but if I do decide to travel back, can you come with me? I have a feeling that I should settle some loose ends, and then we come back here" Sungmin said, looking up at Kyuhyun. 

"Do you want me to?" 

"Yes, because I don't want to be apart from you" Sungmin said softly. 

Looking at her in his arms, he said "Marry me... ?" Kyuhyun brace himself and propose to her. 

Sungmin looked up with surprised...