Some more unpleasant memories

Mount Halla

 

Surprised with his sudden proposal, Sungmin said "Kyu.. I.. I'm a nobody and I can't even remember my family. You don't know my background and...."

Kyuhyun cut in "You are not a nobody to me. Though we now know your real name, you are still 'Bunny' to me, the one that I saved, the one that I care, the one that I admire, and the one that I fell in love with... "

"What if I have a dark background or my family is not good or there is someone waiting for me..."

"You wouldn't come here alone if there is a special someone. You might have a relationship but I guessed that he might have broke off with you, that's why you felt so hopeless. It must be a series of sad events that led you here.."

Sungmin tried hard to think. There were some truth in what Kyuhyun said. Was there someone who broke her heart, was she working but ended her working life? And without her grandma and maybe her family didn't care for her, and added these sad events, led her to come to Jeju to destress herself? Then when her backpack was snatched, she became more depressed and wanted to end her life?

"Heyyyy, don't think too much" Kyuhyun pulled her closer. "I love you for what you are and I don't really care about your background". Kyuhyun tilted up her face to look at him "So, will you marry me? I will get us a sets of ring and register to get a marriage licence. I will inform my parents too".

"You are serious about this?"

"Of course, with all my heart!"

"Kyu...."

"Wait here.." and Kyuhyun got up and walked to the kitchen. He uncapped a bottle of mineral water and walked back to his Bunny.

He got down on one knee, and asked again "Miss Lee Sungmin, also dearly known as Bunny to me..., will you marry this humble me and be with me forever?" and he showed her the plastic ring from the mineral bottle.

Sungmin laughed but teared at the same time. She looked at him sincerely "Yes, I will marry you, my life saver, Mr Cho Kyuhyun"

Kyuhyun took her left hand and pushed in the plastic ring. It was a bit big for her but it was okay, just to symbolise their promises. He reached up and kiss her forehead. He smile "Let's get a ring tomorrow!" and got up to sit next to her. 

Sungmin chuckled. She looked at her finger and touched the plastic ring. She couldn't recall that she ever wore a ring, so she wouldn't have been engaged before. "Kyu, thank you for everything. I want to be yours forever and I do hope that your family will accept me".

"I'm sure they will. Maybe when the hiking trail closed during winter, we can visit my family" 

"What do you normally do when the hiking trail closed?" 

"I work part time at the hospital" he smile, then he remembered something "Ohh yes, so our booth at the trail site will be closed too. But we do have weekend markets, so we can get a booth there and you can continue selling the crispy fishball. It's only Saturday and Sunday though"

"It should be alright. I can bake cookies on weekdays and pack into ziplock bags and sell at the stall too" her face lighted up because of the idea. "I'll bake cookies later and let you try?" 

"If you are not too tired.." 

"I'll cook for our meals and bake at the same time!" Sungmin said and got up. 

"Wait Bunny, I'll help you!!" and Kyuhyun ran after her. 

Kyuhyun was amazed that Bunny was good at making used of whatever she could find. She bake macadamia chocolate chip cookies because they have macadamia leftovers, and choc chips was from a trial pack that came with cornflakes box that they bought for breakfast. 

The cookies smell was amazing when Bunny put them in the oven. It was the aroma of a wonderful and mouth-watering batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies with yummy base notes of vanilla and semi-sweet chocolate, and Kyuhyun couldn't wait to try it.

When Bunny took them out from the oven, Kyuhyun was suddenly next to her. She took one and blew to cool it down, and fed the handsome 'kitten' who was waiting with his mouth opened! 

"Mmmmmmmm Bunny..... this is sooooo goooood!!!!" 

"Is it? Can you taste the macadamia nuts?"

"Yup, and it add to the crunchiness! I love it! Bunny, I want more!" and the handsome kitty opened his mouth again. 

Bunny chuckled and blew two more cookies to feed this gorgeous kitty.

"I'm very sure it will be sold out very fast!! Just like your crispy fishball and crabmeat ball!" 

"Are you sure it is good?" 

"Yes!!!! What you can do is to put some samples in a container and get them to try. What do you say? We secure a booth at the weekend market?" 

"But it's still a month before winter... "

"We have to reserve early, else no more booth!" 

"Ahh okayy!" Bunny nodded and smile at him. 

Kyuhyun hugged her happily. "Alright! I'll make enquiries and reserve a booth!" Kyuhyun kissed her cheek and ran to his study room. 

Sungmin laughed and placed her cookies in the cooling rack, and looked for a container. She recalled that she used to bake for her grandma, and... for somebody else. 

Suddenly a flash of memory came to her while she was washing the container. 

"You are never good in anything! You want to sell cookies? My god, you tell this nice?? It is not even close!! Your late grandmother must be laughing in her grave!!!" 

"Kangin, halmeoni always loved my cookies, unlike you! You never support me in anything! You call yourself a boyfriend?? And what are going to do with Jungsu? She's carrying your baby for heaven's sake!!!" 

"That's because you never allow me to touch you! It's totally your fault! I never get anything from you! So, now that you mentioned it, I will take responsibility and go to her! We are history, you understand?? You can keep your precious body! Don't ever look for me again!". 

"Get out.. you bastard!!".... 

Bunny dropped herself on a chair after recalling all these, and started crying. She remembered her stupid ex-boyfriend! She was dumped, and he said that she wasn't good at anything! 

Kyuhyun walked in to the kitchen and was alarmed to see her pale and wet-teary face. "Bunny, what happened?!!" 

She started to sob more and Kyuhyun pulled a chair next to her and pulled her into a hug.

"Tell me, what happen? You recall something??" Kyuhyun let her go and gently held her shoulders and took a tissue to wipe her face. He soothed away her fringe and tucked her hair away from her face.

Bunny told him that while washing the container to keep the cookies, suddenly a flash of memory hit her. She recalled that she baked for her grandma and for her ex-boyfriend too. But he was always telling her that she was bad at anything and that her cookies were lousy. He had impregnated another girl, and so he used that excused to break off with Sungmin because he never get to touch her. 

Sobbing, Bunny looked at Kyuhyun "Kyu, you said my cookies are nice because you didn't want to hurt my feelings right? My cookies are bad, right? Just tell me the truth, please... " she sob and looked sadly away.

"Bunny, don't listen or kept thinking of what your ex-boyfriend said. He didn't know how to treasure you and it is his lost. To me, you are an amazing girl! You are good at everything! I never met such an enthusiastic person, who didn't waste anything and make use of everything that you can find! You have green fingers and know how to make money! You are simply amazing!. And your cookies are out of this world!! Trust me!!"

"Really? I'm not a hopeless person?"

"Of course not! Far from it!!" 

"But I must be having some bad luck, that's why i came here" 

"But what was in the past, has already past. No point thinking about it. Think of your future from now on... " Kyuhyun said, and wanted to add "with me..." but he didn't say it.

Bunny nodded her head, and Kyuhyun wipe her tears again. He hugged her and Bunny felt that his hug was so comforting. So this was really where she belongs now. In Jeju, in this house, and in Kyuhyun's arms. 

"By the way, I've made reservation for a booth at the weekend market. They will let me know in two days time"

"Thank you! How much is the downpayment?" 

"Don't worry about that..." 

"No, I want to pay..." 

"We run it together. I'll help you" 

"But you will be working part-time at the hospital..." 

"Not on weekends..." 

"Really?" 

"Yeeah. And let's go to Seoul when the hiking trail closes it's door, and before you start selling at the booth. Maybe we go there for a week to settle everything?" 

"I don't even know what I should settle. Probably my late halmeoni's house"

"We'll find and visit your family too.  And I want to seek their consent to marry you".

Bunny was so touch that Kyuhyun was very sincere. Here was the msn who saved her life, abd genuinely cared for her and loved her with all his heart. 

She reached up and kissed him with all the grateful and love in her eyes.