Bacterial infection

Mount Halla

 

Bunny was about to call Kyuhyun when Kyuhyun himself called her.

"You awake? How's your bruise?" Kyuhyun asked worriedly.

"Kyu! My whole right face is swollen!!" Bunny said in a scared voice.

"What??!! Ohmygod! Okay you wait at home, I come back and fetch you" Kyuhyun hurriedly said. 

"No need, Kyu, I can take a cab.. " 

"No no, you just wait at home. Give me about 30 minutes. I need to inform my team leader then I'll  drive home. In the meantime, you take some ice, wrap them in a towel and dab the swelling area. Wait for me okay" 

"Okay Kyu, drive carefully" 

Kyuhyun had suspected some swelling to occur around her bruise, but he didn't expect the whole right-side of her face!!  Bacteria grown in branches are inactive during winter especially if these branches were covered with snow. But once it hit the human body, and since human body is warmer, it will start to be active.

Kyuhyun sighed and quickly told his teammate about his fiancé and that he needed to rush back to bring her to this hospital. 

"Kyu, you go ahead, I will inform Dr Park. Meanwhile I'll book a slot for your fiancé to get immediate treatment" Dr Yoo Yeonseok told him urgently, and gestured him to go. 

"Thanks, Yeonseok!" Kyuhyun patted Dr Yoo's shoulder, removed his doctor's white coat and ran off to the car park. 

He was thankful that the traffic was not heavy due to winter, so he arrived at his villa within 20 minutes. 

Bunny was ready with her handbag and once she heard Kyuhyun's jeep, she off the lights and opened the front door. She quickly locked the frontdoor and stepped quickly to the passenger door. 

"Ohhh Kyu, you are fast!" she climbed in quickly. 

Kyuhyun examined her face, and shook his head "Ohmygod, Bunny, the swelling in bad" Kyuhyun said while putting the seat belt for her. "Okay, sit tight". 

"Kyu, what actually happen? Did part of the branches seep through my skin? Will the swelling go away?" Bunny asked in a scared voice. 

Kyuhyun told her about the bacteria grown on branches and probably started to be active because she was warm, so in order for thd bacteria not to spread, she need an injection and proper treatment. 

"Ohh my god!!..." Bunny lean back her head on the backrest. 

"You'll be okay, don't worry. With antibiotics, your body can fight the bacteria. I guess you need to he warded though, because we need to monitor the swelling". 

"I can't go home?" 

"Probably only after a few days..." 

"I'm scared, Kyu..." 

"I'll be with you, Bunny, don't worry too much okay" 

Bunny was quiet. Their wedding is 2 months away and now her face is swollen. She hope that she would be okay by then... 

Dr Yoo was waiting for them and once they arrived, Kyuhyun quickly introduced them and Dr Yoo gestured for Bunny to sit on a wheelchair and asked Kyuhyun to go to Room 3. 

Dr Yoo specialises in bacterial infection, and after inspecting Bunny's swelling and took blood samples, he turned to Kyuhyun  "It's cellulitis" he told him. 

Cellulitis (sel-u-LIE-tis) is a common, potentially serious bacterial skin infection. The affected skin appears swollen and red and is typically painful and warm to the touch. Cellulitis usually affects the skin on the lower legs, but it can occur in the face, and other areas. It occurs when a crack or break in your skin allows bacteria to enter.

"So apparently, when the branch fell on Miss Lee's face, it poke skin  around the bruise, causing more skin to break, allowing these bacteria to enter her face" Dr Yoo explained. 

"And these bacteria became active since human body is warm and it spread to the whole right side of her face" Kyuhyun continued with understanding, as what he has suspected. 

"Yup" Dr Yoo nodded, and turned to Bunny "Miss Lee, I recommend an injection, but it will be painful to do it direct on your face. So we'll do it on your arm, just that it will take slightly longer to kill the bacteria fully".

"Yes, please do it on my arm!" Bunny said and covered her face. 

"Yes yes, don't worry, or else Kyuhyun will kill me" Dr Yoo chuckled, making Kyuhyun laughed.

"Okay, I'll prepare the injection" Kyuhyun told him and turned to Bunny and squeezed her hand "Don't worry too much. You'll be okay" he smile and moved away. 

"Dr Yoo, do I have to be warded?" Bunny asked him with big round eyes and scared look. 

"She's so pretty eventhough her face is swollen. No wonder Kyuhyun is so smitten by her..." Dr Yoo smilingly said to himself. He would definitely teased Kyuhyun later. He smile at her "Yes, unfortunately, we need to monitor that the bacteria did not spread. So you need to be warded for at least 3 days". 

Kyuhyun came back with surgical gloves and the shringe in a surgical bowl. "Just relax okay, and don't look if you are scared..." he helped her to remove her cardigan and cleaned her upper arm with antiseptic lotion. 

Bunny smile as she trusted Kyuhyun. He looked good in his doctor's coat and he looked so handsomely professional. 

"Miss Lee, if you are scared, just stare at your fiancée" Dr Yoo teased them to lightened the mood. 

Bunny giggled, and Kyuhyun "Tsk" at him, making Yeonseok laughed. He  always looked forward to have Kyuhyun joined them during winter till early spring because Kyuhyun was very knowledgeable and easy to get into fruitful discussions. Even during summer, he would occasionally called Kyuhyun for advice amor get some opinion on medical field. 

"Okay, here goes" Kyuhyun prepared the shringe and carefully pushed it into Bunny's arm. 

Bunny closed her eyes as the pain hit her. She held Kyuhyun's arm and was still holding him after Kyuhyun withdrew the needle. 

"It's done" Kyuhyun clean the area one more time and cover it with plaster. He turned to Dr Yoo "Yeonseok, Tiff said she managed to get a one-bedder at L3. I'll register her details at the concierge and I'll bring her up to her ward okay" 

"Great. I'll inform Tiff to get L3 nurse to prepare the hos gown" Dr Yoo picked up his desk phone and talked to someone. 

Kyuhyun helped Bunny to step out and got her to sit, while he settle the registration. Once done, he wrapped his hand around her shoulder and they went to Level 3.

"Ohhh L3 is level 3?" Bunny was laughing at herself, coz the doctors here used a lot of codes. Earlier, she saw the nurse outside with the name Tiffany, so this must be the 'Tiff' whom the 2 guys mentioned. 

Kyuhyun led her to her ward, and a nurse by the name of Sunny Lee, bowed at Kyuhyun and at her. Sunny showed them the room, and passed a folder attire to her "Miss Lee, here is your hospital gown. You can change at the bathroom over there" she said politely, and added "Dr Cho, let me know when we can bring in her dinner and medicines okay". 

"I'll let you know Sunny" Kyuhyun told her. Sunny smile sweetly at Kyuhyun. 

"Ahhh, so 'hos gown' is hospital gown!" Bunny smile at Kyuhyun. 

"Hmmm? Ohh yeah haha. The medical staff here all talk in shortcuts" Kyuhyun laughed and added "You go and change, then I want you to eat dinner, then take your antibiotics and sleep. I get Sunny to bring your dinner" Kyuhyun gestured her to the bathroom. 

She hesitated because she wanted to tell Kyuhyun to go ahead and do his work and also what time would he finished his shift. 

"Why, you want me to change for you?" Kyuhyun . 

Bunny chuckled "No, you go ahead to do your work, I can change myself. What time will you finish your shift?" 

"It's not a busy night today, so I don't have to be in the ER. They will call me anyway if they need me" Kyuhyun smile. "Go ahead and change... "

"Yes doctor.." she smile and turned towards the bathroom. 

Kyuhyun smile and then walked out to confirm with Sunny that she could bring in Bunny's dinner. He was thankful that Bunny's swelling didn't spread to other parts of her body. Hopefully her body could fight the bacteria and her swelling subsided. 

An hour later, Kyuhyun was back in the ER, after he had assured that Bunny has eaten her dinner and taken her medicines. 

"So, when's the wedding?" Yeonseok patted Kyuhyun's back when Kyuhyun was updating a patient's record at their central laptop. 

Kyuhyun chuckled "2 months time. I'll invite you, don't worry" he laughed. 

"She's pretty. Is she from Jeju?" Dr Yoo leaned on the desk next to where Kyuhyun was standing. 

"No, she's from Seoul. We just came back from Seoul to meet both our families" Kyuhyun completed his input and turned his attention fully at Yeonseok. 

"Ohh wow! But how you two meet if she was from Seoul?" 

"Remember I was asking you about memory loss a few months back?" 

"Hmmmm yesss..." 

"Want to go for a drink? I'll tell you the story..." Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows. 

Dr Yoo looked at his watch "It's our break time! Okay let's go..." 

So Kyuhyun told him about how he found Bunny and about her memory loss. "She started to recall bits and pieces after we found her bag and ID card, and when we were in Seoul, she recalled more as we visited more places. But until now, she has not gain all her past memories fully..." he said, while sipping his coffee. 

"I see. But Kyu, I don't think so she could recall everything so soon, unless she encountered the same scenario again. My advice is just leave all those past memories behind and move on" Dr Yoo said, sipping his tea. 

"You are right, just that sometimes she became stress because she couldn't recall something so I'm actually doing some research on what kind of food that can help to bring back memories. And I've made some progress!" 

"Really? You should present it to our panel of doctors. We could develop a supplement pills or something.." 

"I don't know whether they will accept it, I mean my research is more for Bunny..." 

"I'm sure it will benefit others too. In fact maybe it might be a breakthrough in our medical field!!" Dr Yoo encouraged him. 

"Basically it's a combi of coffee, pumpkin seeds, fatty fish and broccoli. I've managed to balance the proportion of each of these items to get maximum results. I've been encouraging her to cook these food actually!" Kyuhyun laughed. 

"Ohhh, so these food actually have been helping her to start recalling! It wasn't really based on items that she saw!" 

"I guess so. The food helps to speed up the recalling, and when she saw the same scene, she started recalling the past events" 

"Kyu, you are amazing! Please, present this to the panel of doctors. I can help you to do up a presentation!" 

"You have time??" Kyuhyun asked. 

"I make time for you!" Dr Yoo reached across and patted Kyuhyun's arm. 

Both of them laughed and got up to return their mugs. 

Dr Yoo felt really proud of his friend. Kyuhyun was very dedicated and persevered when he wanted to solve something, and he wanted Kyuhyun to get recognition for his hard work!! 

And by helping Kyuhyun, he hope they both could help the hospital to have a breakthrough in medical World. 

And he himself could get a promotion!! Dr Yoo smile to himself..