Despair

Mount Halla

 

With despair, Sungmin packed up and decided to fly to Jeju to clear her mind. She just couldn't take it anymore, her misfortune seemed like falling on her from one thing to another.

Her boyfriend of 3 years, Kangin, impregnanted another girl, Jungsu, and only told Sungmin the week before that he wanted to break off with her as he needed to take responsibility to the other girl. Sungmin was devastated because she didn't know that her so called boyfriend has been two-timing her. When confronted, he just casually said that Sungmin had never offered her body to him, so he had to look elsewhere. That bastard! 

Then at work, she was asked to leave because she had wrongly gave a customer a different bra size. The customer had tried about 20 bras, and finally decided to just bought 1 bra, but Sungmin got it mixed up because the customer passed to her the whole lot of bras, so she forgot which one she has selected. So when the customer complained and asked her boss to sack her, her boss really did what the customer had told him, and told her the she don't have to come back to work, and gave her that week's salary.  Another bastard! 

She sat quietly in the plane and eventually fell asleep. The air stewardess woke her up when the plane had landed and tiredly, she took her bag from the overhead compartment and walked out. She didn't bring any luggage because she just want to go to Mount Halla to relax her mind. 

Using a guide that she took from a tourist office in Seoul last week, she took bus #181 from Jeju International Airport to Jeju International University, and then change to bus #475 from the university to Gwaneumsa trail head. 

However, she fell asleep and missed her stop. She only woke up when the driver shook her as they had reached the end of the journey. She got down and looking around, she didn't know where the start of the trail was. She must have missed the correct stop! She cursed and swear at herself. 

She started walking with her backpack and her little sling bag. She saw a signboard with Byeongmuncheon Stream further ahead. As she walked along a steel bridge crossing the river stream and a waterfall below, she heard a sound of a motorbike. She turned around thinking that she could asked the biker for direction to the trail. 

The biker did slow down but grabbed her backpack instead and she was practically dragged for a few metres before her backpack was off from her shoulder! She shouted at the biker and ran after him, but no point, the motorbike has gone. She sat at the roadside and cried. Luckily she was wearing a thick pink jacket and long pants, so her skin wasn't badly hurt. Maybe she would have lots of scratches and bruises later. 

She sighed. There goes her wallet, her clothings, her phone, her returned air ticket and her identification card! She only has her small sling bag with some money in there. She cried with despair at her fate and walked back to the steel bridge. 

She looked down on the river gorge. The small waterfall join the steam of water, and they looked so peaceful, flowing along together with some branches which must have fell from the trees. 

"There's no point in living. Everything seemed to be wrong...." Sungmin sighed. She climbed over the railing and she was at the edge of the bridge, overlooking the waterfall and the stream. 

She her white gold chain around her neck with the word 'bunny', which her late grandmother had given her. She stayed with her grandmother and when her grandmother passed away, she had stayed alone. Her parents and brother never asked whether she wanted to stay with them, so she continued to stay alone. 

"Halmeoni, please forgive me for giving up. I have too many misfortune. Let me join you in heaven" and closing her eyes, Sungmin jumped down. 

 

Kyuhyun had just returned back to his villa from guiding another group of tourist to Mount Halla. He worked as a guide for Gwaneumsa Trail, and enjoyed his work as he love nature. 

His noona stayed with him previously, but left to join their parents in Seoul when she got a job offer. This villa belongs to his family, and it was near to Byeongmuncheon Stream, and about 2 kilometers away from the steel bridge crossing the waterfall.  He has been staying here alone for 3 years, and his family visited the villa during Christmas 2 years ago. 

Though he was a qualified doctor, he preferred to stay here in Seogwipo and work as a guide due to his love of nature. His family has given up pursuading him and let him stay in the villa. 

He removed his hiking gear and kept them in his big locker box at his porch and went in to change his teeshirt. He stepped out, carrying his cooler box and walked along his boardwalk towards the river to check whether he managed to catch some fish. He lifted his trap and "Woahhh, nice catch!!" he smile to himself as there were about 10 fishes inside his trap. He poared the fishes into his cooler which he had filled it with some ice. Then he turned back towards the river to place the trap again. 

His eyes suddenly caught something pink. "What the hell is that?!!" Kyuhyun stepped into the river to look closer and was shocked because he realised it was a human body! "Ohmygod" and without wasting time, he swam towards the body and wanted to dragged it to the edge of his boardwalk. 

The body is a girl, and it seemed like she has hit her head onto some rocks and it was now beading.  "She's still alive!" he said with relief, and tried to pull her from the river onto his boardwalk to gave her CPR and 1st aid. However, her sling bag was hooked to a tree branch under the body, so Kyuhyun has to carefully untangled the sling bag. The tree branch must have saved her life, and preventing her face from getting submerged in the water. 

He managed to pull her and carefully, he carried her and lifted her up the wooden steps and put her down on the boardwalk. He didn't have to perform CPR because she was breathing. He scratched his head as to what to do. Should he bring her to hospital? Or treat her in his villa? He was a qualified doctor, and has all the first aid facilities, but he don't have all the emergency equipments in his villa such as x-ray, in case this girl has some broken bones. 

As the trip to the hospital would take about an hour and a half, he decided to just treat her at his villa. He carried her into his home and once inside, he walked to his stretcher which was propped  against the wall, and used his leg to manouvre the stretcher to drop flat on the floor. He put her dien on the stretcher as she was wet, then ran to his noona's room to change the bed sheet, and put a clinical canvas over it. 

Slowly, he carried her to his noona's bed and in a dilemma on how to get her wet clothings off her body. 

"Aishhh, I was a doctor before and I've seen many woman's body" he said determinedly, so he removed her wet clothing, and wipe her body with clean towels. Her body was breathtakingly beautiful but when he turned her over, her back has lots of scratches. He examined it closely it seemed that she was dragged by something. "What could have happened?" Kyuhyun wondered loudly. She has bruises on her bum and on her arms too. 

He cleaned her wound and apply antiseptic cream, and bandaged her head. He then put some ointments on her scratches and bruises, and let the ointment dry. He then ramaged his noona's wardrobe and drawers, and took out her bra, underwear and pajamas. 

"Ahhh , how to put on the bra? The hook is in front or at the back?" Kyuhyun looked at the bra confusedly. Since the cups were in front, so he gathered that the hooked should be behind. He put it on for her, and the underwear and pajamas. He was buttoning her pajama when he noticed her chain. He carefully brought it to the front and saw the word 'bunny'. 

"Bunny? Is it her nickname?" Kyuhyun wondered. He covered her with blanket and checked her temperature. "Okay, bunny, you stay here for a while, and don't move. I bring in my fishes and cooked something" he told the unconscious girl. 

He picked up her wet clothings and put them in his washer, together with his clothes and started the machine. He brought in his cooler and remembered that the girl has a sling bag. He went to the stretcher again and took the sling bag. It was wet, so he removed all the contents and hang her sling bag outside to dry. 

He came back in to check the contents whether there was any identification card, but there wasn't any. There were only some money, bus ticket, a pack of tissue and a map. "That's it?? Hmmmph. She has no identification. Luckily I didn't bring her to the hospital". He arranged all her wet things on his table to dry and checked on her again. She was still lying peacefully, so he went to his kitchen to start cooking. 

Sungmin had a dream. She was swimming in the water and didn't know where she was. There was a big white shark coming at her and she started screaming. 

Physically on the bed, her body started twitching. But Kyuhyun didn't see this as he was busy in the kitchen...