Painful recall

Mount Halla

 

"I... Yes I did, but..."

"I understand, you don't have to reply that. Thank you for treating me"

"I still need to apply antiseptic cream at your bruises on your back and your arm. It seemed like you were dragged. So I hope you will allow me to treat you".

Sungmin smile and nodded. It means that Kyuhyun would still need to see her in order to apply the cream. She told herself that she should be thankful and shouldn't feel ashame.

Kyuhyun helped her to walk back to her bedroom and showed her where her folded clothes were and that she could use any of his sister's clothings, which were in the same  drawer with her sets of clothing.

"Thank you. Ermm.. can I help you with cooking?"

"You are still not strong. You should lie down" Kyuhyun said with concerned. 

"No, I... want to help" Sungmin said shyly.

"Okay, let me carry that porridge tray and you can come with me to the kitchen".

An hour later, they managed to cook 4 dishes! Sungmin was amazed that she could cook with ease. Her hand seemed to remember what to do. She must have been cooking for somebody previously, but she just couldn't remember for who.

She was especially pleased with the crispy fried fish ball!! Kyuhyun loved it and kept stealing one and popped into his mouth once they are cooled.

"You are really good in cooking!" Kyuhyun honestly praised her. "And this crispy fried fish ball is so delicious!. You should sell these to the hikers! Sure sold out!!" Kyuhyun said jokingly. They were seated at the dining table and eating rice with the dishes. 

"That's a good idea! Why not? But are we allowed to sell? Do we need to rent a stall or something?" Sungmin asked with interest.

"Bunny, I was just joking!"

"But I'm serious. At least I can do something useful"

"If you want to sell, you have to prepare in big quantity. You'll be tired. I want you to recuperate first"

"Give me a few days to get well, then I can plan on how to do this in a bigger scale. I just need to borrow your money first to buy the ingredients. I will pay you back if I get some profit".

So a week later, Kyuhyun started to drive to the city area to get the ingredients, with Sungmin besides him. Along the way, Kyuhyun pointed to her the start of the Gwaneumsa Trail, and where the hikers normally get together to grab a bite and for the guide to brief them before hiking commence.

"The start of Gwaneumsa Trail...." Sungmin repeated it a few times.

"What's wrong Bunny?"

"I don't know, but it seemed like that was the place that I wanted to go. But something happened, and I can't remember what..."

"Wow, that's a good start. So we would have met anyway, if you were supposed to hike Mount Halla!" Kyuhyun smile.

Sungmin shook her head "But I can't remember why I wasn't there or ended up at the river, maybe as time goes by, I can start recalling what happened"

"Yup, just let the memories come back naturally. Don't force it or think too much...". 

Once they reach the city, Kyuhyun parked his Range Rover outside the supermarket. They bought what Sungmin needed, and Kyuhyun bought 10 kg of rice too, now that there are 2 of them eating. Sungmin checked whether she has everything "Onions, all purpose flour, salt, eggs, cooking oil, aluminium foil, plastic carrier, paper cups.. okay, we have all!"

"You sure you don't need the fish fillet? What if our fish supplies are little on that day...?" Kyuhyun asked.

"I have blendered some, so there are enough for a start" Sungmin said.

Kyuhyun smile and nodded. He was thankful that Bunny knew how to cook, and she never waste anything. She plucked tomatoes, spinach, ladies finger, cillies and digged for potatoes from their garden and cooked enough for them and kept the rest, and even for the fishes, she would not waste a single fish.

Kyuhyun had applied for a licence to operate a booth near the start of the Gwaneumsa Trail. Luckily there was a booth vacated by an old grandma, who sold crackers, so Kyuhyun grabbed that and paid for the 1st two months of rental. He was not optimistic that hikers would buy the crispy fried fish ball to munch, but it was worth a try. He was impressed by Bunny's enthusiasm and he vowed to help her in this venture.

Sungmin woke up very early to fry her fish ball which she had prepared the might before. Kyuhyun told her to bring along the over toaster, so that she could heat up the fish ball if it got too cold. Once she has finish frying, she poke 4 pieces each into a stick and wrapped all aluminium foil to maintain the heat, and arranged them into a foam box. 

Kyuhyun carried the foam box and toaster to his car, and Sungmin brought along paper cups, for those who wanted to eat on the spot, and plastic with strings, for those who wanted to bring along the hike.

They had cleaned-up the booth the day before, and today, once they reached, they started to arrange the fried fish ball in a covered display tray and Kyuhyun hang up a sign board "Hot crispy fried fish ball. Come and have a try!!"

"Bunny, I have to go and get ready for the hike. You can handle this alone?"

"Yes, I can. Wish me luck, Kyu!" Sungmin said, smiling happily. Kyuhyun had asked her to call him Kyu as the days went by, as they became familiar with each other.

"Fighting!! Wait for me, okay. I'll be back about 3pm. Don't forget to eat your lunch" Kyuhyun waved at her.

Sungmin waved back. She had packed lunch for Kyuhyun too and a flask of cold water.

Two buses full of tourist and hikers arrived. The place became noisy and everyone was  busy taking photos. Some of them started looking at the stalls, and someone was pointing at Sungmin's booth. Sungmin put her price as Won 1,200 per stick, so it was about US$1.00.

"Heyyy this is delicious!!!" An American tourist who bought from Sungmin, called her friends and more tourist bought the crispy fried fish balls. Before long, half of the fish balls were sold! She provided chilli sauce too and some of them asked Sungmin to pack for them to bring along during their hike.

Before Kyuhyun started his hike, he turned his head and looked back at Sungmin, who happened to look up at him and gave him a thumbs up. He smile and gave her a thumbs up too.

Sungmin still have some fish ball left and she kept them back in the foam box, and after her lunch, she heated the remaining fish ball to get ready for the descending hikers. 

By the time Kyuhyun returned back to the booth after his debrief, Sungmin had sold all her 300 sticks!! She was so happy that when she saw Kyuhyun walking towards the booth, she stepped out and ran to Kyuhyun and hugged him!! 

"Guest what?? It's sold out!!! Ohmygod, I couldn't believe it!!" she literally jumping for joy in Kyuhyun's arms!! 

"Congratulations!!! You did well!!! So you didn't leave some for me...?"  Kyuhyun and slowly let her go. 

"Aishhh Kyu, your portion is at home, I kept some for you!" 

"Really?" Kyuhyun asked and Sungmin nodded her head, smiling widely. "Okay let's pack and we can go home". 

"I want to make 500 sticks tomorrow!!" Sungmin said excitedly, in Kyuhyun's car on the way to the villa. 

"But Bunny, everyday is a different tourist group. And your sale might not be the same everyday. I think 300 sticks per day is alright. Maybe you see whether you need to increase it to 500 sticks after a week" 

"You are right, I'll follow your advice! I will keep it to 300 sticks first" Sungmin smile happily at him. 

Kyuhyun was happy that Bunny was happy. Her radiant smile just made his day, and he felt that all his tiredness gone!! 

They reached the villa and Kyuhyun help to carry the oven toaster and thd foam box. 

"Bunny, I go to the river to see the fishes. You go on first?" 

"Ohhh, can I come with you? I want to see your catch!!!" 

Kyuhyun laughed at her enthusiasm. He carried his cooler box and gestured for her to follow him. They walked happily along the boardwalk and Kyuhyun point to her where the trap was. He climbed down the steps and into the water and lifted his trap! 

"Wow!!! So many fishes!!! And looked Bunny, there are crabs too!!" Kyuhyun showed it to her!! 

"Ohmygod!!! The crabs are so cute!" Sungmin squatted at the edge of the boardwalk and 

"Careful, it can snip your fingers!!" Kyuhyun moved her hand away and brought the trap to his cooler box. He poured everything in, and asked Sungmin to close the box while he turned around to put back the trap. 

"Kyu, can I try to put the trap?" 

Aishh this girl. She wants to learn everything! Kyuhyun chuckled. "Come here then, but fold your pants else they will be wet because you need to go into the river" 

"It's okay. I can change later!" Sungmin said while she followed Kyuhyun stepping down the boardwalk steps. Once inside the river, she watched with interest how Kyuhyun put the trap. 

Suddenly, she saw the image of herself falling down to the river and hit a big rock and splashed hard into the river. "Ahhhhh..." she screamed and closed her face and bend down as she was scared. 

Kyuhyun got a shock when she scream, and quickly turned around to check what happened. "Bunny!! What happened???!!" 

Sungmin started sobbing "I... I.. saw myself falling down into the river and hit a big rock. It was so painful and then I fell head on into the flowing water..." and Sungmin closed her face with her hands again and sobbed. 

Kyuhyun hugged her to make her feel safe "Hey hey.. it's okay. You remembered bits and pieces because you are now in the river itself" he rubbed her back to soothe her fear. "I found you there, flowing down from the bridge area, and I quickly grabbed you".

Sungmin turned her head to see where Kyuhyun was pointing. So, she was really in the water. No wonder when she was unconscious, she kept swimming and trying to go to the surface! 

"Let's go up. I don't want you to catch a cold.." Kyuhyun gestured her to step up towards the boardwalk. 

Sungmin felt so weak after recalling about her fall. Why was she falling into the river? Was she being thrown into the river? If yes, by who?? If no, then how did she fell? Suddenly she felt that she was being carried. She looked up and realised that Kyuhyun was carrying her. "Kyu, I'm sorry, I.. I.. can walk.." 

"No, you looked so pale! You must be in a shock to recall that part of your memory. Go and change first, and put your wet pants in the washer. I will bring in the cooler box" Kyuhyun told her after putting her down and ensuring that she was okay. 

Sungmin nodded and said her thanks and walked in. The image of her falling down the bridge and hit the big rock kept playing in her mind. She touched her head injury. Kyuhyun had applied a gauze to cover it after he put a cream and said that he was happy that her injury was healing nicely, and need not be bandaged anymore. "I fell and hit my head badly. I could still feel the pain. But why did I fall?" Sungmin kept asking herself. 

Her head started spinning and she grabbed her bedroom door to steady herself. But she missed it and she fell forward. 

"Bunny!!!!" 

She heard Kyuhyun shocked voice was calling her and that was the last voice that she heard. Amidst the sound of his footsteps running towards her, she felt herself blackout...