Backpack

Mount Halla

 

Sungmin really has green fingers!! The things that she grew, all spruce up healthily and in abundance, like green and red chillies, capsicum, sweet potatoes, sweet corns, cabbage, and even small tomatoes. Sungmin smile happily while plucking her red chillies.

Now that she has some recollections on the recipes that her grandma had thought her, she wrote whatevet she could recall in a notebook. After that fateful day when she suddenly recalled about her grandma, more memories concerning her grandma came back to her, and she remembered that her grandma has left this World and she was left alone. 

The "Bunny" chain was really a gift from her, and her nickname was really Bunny. But that was all that she could recall. Try as she might, she still couldn't recall her full name or whether she still have her parents or not. Kyuhyun didn't force her to remember and was already happy that she could recall more memories. 

Sungmin was busy in the kitchen cooking for their dinner, when Kyuhyun came out from his study room. He had decided to call his police friend to lodge a report on the motorbike incident, hoping that Sungmin's backpack could be found. His police friend, Donghae, promised to call him if he received any report if somebody found a backpack.

"What are you cooking?"

"Guess?" Sungmin smile at him.

Kyuhyun came nearer. "Hmmmm, there's kimchi, and I see that you are cooking rice, so.... kimchi bokumbap? (kimchi fried rice)"

"Yes... and...? Another dish .... and it's your favourite.." Sungmin .

Kyuhyun was thinking. He loved all the dishes that Sungmin cooked! With just fishes, Sungmin could magically come up with so many varieties of dishes! "Don't tell me it's saeng sun jun?" and when Sungmin smilingly nodded, Kyuhyun was practically punching 'yes' in the air!! Saeng sun jun is korean pan fried fish but made with fresh fish with delicate white flesh only. Sungmin dipped them in soy sauce before frying, and Kyuhyun loved it a lot.

Lately with Sungmin around, Kyuhyun always looked forward to their meal times as he got to sit and eat her cooking together with her. He felt like she's his family. 

After their dinner, they would bathe and then start preparing for the fish ball and crab balls. Surprisingly, the crispy fried crab balls surpassed the popularity of the crispy fried fish ball!! They would be sold out much earlier than the fish ball!

"Bunny, you don't have to increase more quantity. 500 sticks each are enough. I don't want you to be too tired..." Kyuhyun told her when she proposed to make more.

"Sometimes I feel pity at them seeing their disappointed faces when I told them it has been sold out..."

"It's okay. Think of yourself first. You still have to fry them, and put them in sticks. 500 sticks are already a lot of work" Kyuhyun said with concern.

"Okay we'll keep it to 500 sticks each" Sungmin nodded. She admit that it was tiring, but she enjoyed selling them, and when everything were sold out, it made her day and she felt so contented, like all her efforts got paid off!

Three weeks later, Kyuhyun got a call from his police friend. "Kyu, somebody found a backpack near the start of the Gwaneumsa Trail! It was in the bushes and it might have been there for weeks. The guy who found it was cutting the grasses and worked with the National Environment"

"Really? That's great!!!" 

"You can come down anytime to take a look. There are a few items inside the bag, a wallet, clothings, air ticket,... hmmm but no cash or handphone" 

"I see" 

"There's an ID card and a passport. Is the name Lee Sungmin sounds familiar to you? Is it that girl's name?" 

"Lee Sungmin? No, but that's because she couldn't remember her name.  Okay Hae, thank you very much! We will come down this Saturday". 

"No problem man!!" 

Kyuhyun was thinking whether to tell Bunny or not. He didn't want her to worry too much. The truth was, half of him wanted her to regain her memories but the other half of him didn't want her to leave him. He was at a lost. When she eventually remembered everything, she would go back to where she came from. Will he ever see her again? 

He liked and care for her a lot. He couldn't imagine that one day she won't be here with him. What would he do then? He couldn't even understand why he was feeling like this and didn't want to lose her. 

On Friday, Sungmin was cleaning her booth after she had sold all her sticks. 

"Lee Sungmin!!"  suddenly she heard somebody was shouting that name. 

"Yes?" automatically Sungmin answered. Confusedly, she looked up and saw a mother was calling her daughter who was running around "Lee Sungmin, stop running! We need to go back to the coach!" and the mother caught the daughter and carried her to the coach. 

Sungmin was stumped. She had automatically answered that name! Was her name 'Lee Sungmin?' or was it a name closely related to her? She was confused and has no answer... 

After she has cleaned the booth, she countered her money and kept it safe. She was happy that a kind lady had given her some tips, so she had extra 100won today. She couldn't wait to tell Kyuhyun. 

"Bunny!!" Kyuhyun waved at her. He was walking towards her after his debrief, as usual.  Happily, she ran out and hugged him and excitedly told him that she got a tip! She kissed his cheek and hugged him again. 

Kyuhyun was surprised about the kiss, but he hide his surprise and laughingly congratulated her for getting extra money today!! 

They packed everything into his land rover and he drove off. Sungmin looked so pretty today. Last week, there was a month-end sale at the shops near the supermarket, and Kyuhyun had bought a pretty long brown skirt for her, after she kept looking at it. She had happily put it on today, with a white lace top, and had bunned up her hair. She blushed happily this morning when Kyuhyun complimented that she looked pretty. Kyuhyun really meant it though. 

"Aishhh, Bunny has doze off!" Kyuhyun shook his head "No wonder suddenly she was so quiet" Kyuhyun chuckled. He quietly got out and carried all the things back to his home. He opened the passenger door and gently shook her to wake her up.

"Ohhh we are home?!! I'm sorry I must have doze off!" Sungmin said and quickly stepped out from the car. But she forgot that she was wearing a long skirt which restricted her movement. She lost her balance and fell straight into Kyuhyun's arms.

Kyuhyun caught her and steadied her. She looked so pretty up close, and before he could stop himself, he kissed her lips.

Realising what he was doing, Kyuhyun let her go and apologised. "I... I'm sorry Bunny, I don't know what crept into my mind..." and he stepped slightly away.

Sungmin was stunned, but... she liked it. She liked Kyuhyun a lot and owe him her life. Just that she didn't know that Kyuhyun likes her too.  Shyly, she stepped nearer to Kyuhyun and reached up to kiss him!

Now it was Kyuhyun's turn to be stunned! He recovered and pulled Sungmin closer to him and kissed her properly. The feelings was extraordinary! He felt like a thousand sparkles had boomed around him and he just couldn't stop kissing her! They eventually stopped for breath and stared at each other. And laughed!!

Kyuhyun locked his car and took Sungmin's hand and walked back to their house. Smilingly, he said gently "You go in first. I go and see the fishes" and he took the dry box and walked along his boardwalk. He needed to clear his mind, otherwise he would keep thinking about the kiss. 

He was surprised that there were a lot of prawns! And more crabs, and more fishes. "Wow!! Prawns!! Where did you guys came from??". It seems that Bunny brought him more luck because ever since she was here, his trap was always full!!

He carefully poured them into his dry box and put back the trap. He brought the drybox in and called her "Bunny, see what we got!!!"

Sungmin was  equally excited to see the prawn. Kyuhyun brought it to the dining table and Sungmin excitedly lifted up a prawn to see. Suddenly she felt a sharp piercing pain "Ouch!!!"

Kyuhyun quickly took the prawn from her finger and checked her wound. It was a small cut and blood started to ooze out, and without thinking, he put her finger into his mouth to stop the bleeding. She was bewildered and stared at him.

He took out her finger and took a tissue and wipe it. "Don't look at me like that. You are making me wanting to kiss you again..." Kyuhyun said, looking at her bewildered expression. 

Sungmin looked down shyly and said "Sorry". She looked up at Kyuhyun and smile at him. She moved away to take a basin to clean the fishes, crabs and prawns. Kyuhyun brought the dry box to the sink and poured the contents to the basin that Bunny was holding. They did their chores like normal and didn't talk about the kiss anymore.

During dinner, Kyuhyun remembered about the call from his friend, and told her about the backpack. They would have to go to the police station to check the contents to see whether the bag belongs to her or not.

Sungmin then remembered about the mother and daughter episode just now. "Kyu, when the mother called her daughter 'Lee Sungmin' somehow, I automatically answered 'yes'!! I didn't know why. I wonder if that was my name?"

Kyuhyun stopped chewing "Bunny, my police friend told me the ID card and passport has the name 'Lee Sungmin'!! Ohmygod, so it was really your backpack?!!!"

"And my name is really Lee Sungmin?!!...." she said, still looking very lost...