When the clock strikes at twelve

Jinjoo Oneshot Fiesta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: Kim Minjoo, a well known investigator received a case from an unknown source. It was a kidnapping case, she was about to disregard it but she found out that the lost kid was Ahn Yujin—her ex girlfriend.

Word Count: 6397

Hashtag: #JinjooFiesta_Twelve

 

“When the clock strikes at twelve”

 

Congratulations on solving that 2 years hostage case, Ms. Kim. The family of the victim wanted to bid their gratitude.

Minjoo sighed as she read that text message their chief officer, the head of the police department where she was working. She threw her phone. The phone almost fell out yet she didn't care. She's filthy rich to purchase a new one, anyway.

Two years working as an investigator wasn't that much a struggle for Kim Minjoo, except for the fact that she is being famous because of it. She can't help but to reminisce those days when she's desperate to conceal her identity by kneeling in front of their deputy head.

Unluckily, her wish wasn't granted. The deputy head still exposed the identity of the people who worked in this almost-a-decade unsolved murder case and Minjoo was one of them. Take note; she was the head of that case, so she caught all the fame.

Not to mention that her visuals are no joke, anyone who is clueless of her identity can mistake her as an idol.

She wouldn't be this popular if it isn't because of their head inspector.

And speaking of— her phone rang again.

She's too lazy to clutch her phone that was on the other side of the bed; and opened her watch instead. She can still read messages with it, though.

Before I forgot, get well soon! Chaewon is on her way there. She has the new case you two will work to. I'm expecting a lot from my best detectives :)

Minjoo let out a chuckle upon finding out the arrival of her most trustworthy partner. Chaewon has always been in her side ever since she's still a fresh graduate.

They had a one-year difference, but that wasn't a nuisance for the two to be together in some cases. Throughout their career being detectives, they filled each other's weaknesses. Chaewon learned to be more attentive to insignificant details from Minjoo. In return, Chaewon taught Minjoo self-defense skills and lessen her timidness.

As their deputy head saw the chemistry between the two, he signed them into each other as permanent partners.

Time didn't pass by quickly, Minjoo received another text message.

This time, Minjoo picked up the phone from the floor as she is expecting it was from Chaewon. She wasn't wrong, though.

I brought soup and some comfort food, open the door for me can you?

Faster than the lightning, Minjoo rushed towards the front door. She peeked into the small hole and almost had a heart attack to see there was also an eye peeking back.

Minjoo opened the door and there she was, Kim Chaewon who was giving a mischievous smile, knowing she surprised Minjoo because of what she did earlier.

The younger slapped the older's arm who was still laughing, then stormed out walking back towards her bed. 

"Yah, won't you help me with these?" Minjoo glanced back, seeing Chaewon holding two obviously heavy bags full of food. 

Why the hell is this girl bringing a lot everytime she visits my house? She doesn't even live here. Or even stayed for a night. 

Minjoo and Chaewon never did that. Sadly, Chaewon has strict parents, unlike Minjoo who is living alone and can do anything freely. 

"Handle yourself. You should be the one taking care of me." Minjoo irritatedly said, leaving Chaewon with the heavy stuff. The poor visitor was left with no choice but to handle everything she brought. 

Moments later, Minjoo stopped at her tracks and turned back to the struggling Chaewon. It was visible at the latter's face that her arms are close to being dumb because of the stuff she's holding. 

Yet, Minjoo hasn't cared. 

She just stood there— observed her friend, who was also staring back, curious what the hell is she doing and why the hell she's not helping. 

"Hey, sorry for scaring you but I need a hand with these—" 

Chaewon was cut off by Minjoo, as she grabbed the folder that was on one of the bags Chaewon was holding. 

"I knew it you were just curious with that—" 

"Thank you for buying food stocks for me again even if I didn't ask to but can you put those on the table right now? I'm gonna start reading these." 

How many times Chaewon was gonna be cut off by Minjoo today? 

It was always like this everytime the younger is on her period— and even now she's sick. 

Rather than arguing with Minjoo, Chaewon walked towards the table Minjoo was referring to and stormed out the plastic bags into the table. 

She almost destroyed Minjoo's old monobloc table but still— she's moderately irritated with the latter's actions today.

"You mad?" Minjoo asked, still has her eyes on the folder. 

Chaewon shook her head, "Nope. I was just feeling numb." 

"Oh." Minjoo nodded. 

Well, Chaewon failed. 

The younger wasn't annoyed. She was too much focused with the new case. 

But it seems like Minjoo didn’t understand a thing on what she was reading. Her face shows confusion as she scans through the pages of the folder. 

Chaewon let out a smirk upon her realization. 

"Chaewon, did you got the wrong folder? Why is everything so—" 

Minjoo pondered why Chaewon was being naughty while the lass was treating her bed as if it was her throne. 

"You got the wrong folder." Chaewon answered, emphasizing the 'you' while waving a folder in the air. 

"Give me that!" Minjoo yelled while narrowing her distance to Chaewon. 

"And why?" 

The older sticks her tongue out, annoying Minjoo more, just like what she wants to happen. 

"Kim Chaewon!" 

"Kim Minjoo!" 

The two continued playing around Minjoo's single floor yet spacious apartment. The playing tag would have last long if Minjoo didn't stop from running and starts to cough hard. 

Chaewon dropped her folder and approached Minjoo in a hurry. 

"You're still not fine." Chaewon murmured while continuing to pat the younger's back.
Minjoo sat on the floor, the latter did the same. Chaewon's mood lit up as she felt the younger was leaning on her. 

"I'm okay now. Thanks to you." Minjoo murmured. 

"You're still burning, Min. Maybe you should go to the bed." 

Chaewon assisted Minjoo to her bed, even if the older wants to stay in that position for a longer time, she doesn't want to have fever too. 

She gave Minjoo a blanket, the latter smiled as a response, "So what's the case all about?" The younger asked. 

Chaewon shrugged. 

"C'mon, Chae! Care to give me a clue?" 

Minjoo made her voice sound soft as she knows the older was weak for it. Her soft voice when asking favors always make Chaewon grant her requests. 

After years of being together, that kind of approach of Minjoo was still effective. 

"Later." Chaewon declared with a serious tone. 

And it stopped now. 

Well, it's been a while since the younger used that, though. Many things happened. Change is constant. No wonder. 

The two Kims played a silent game, no one initiated the conversation. Chaewon didn't know what to talk about. She chose not to open the case conversation first as she didn't want Minjoo to be stressed. 

Meanwhile, Minjoo was intimidated with Chaewon's last word so she was daunted to say a word. 

"I'll go prepare your soup. Eat up, and we'll talk about the case." 

The younger Kim nodded and watched Chaewon leave but she isn't, yet. 

This time, they played a staring game, with Minjoo clueless why the latter was staring back too. 

"Minjoo..." Chaewon mumbled. 

"Hmm?" 

"Your hand?" 

Slowly, Minjoo looked down and she almost flinched as she found out that her hand was intertwining with Chaewon's. 

Minjoo allow her hand go in a rush, and hid it under the blanket. 

Thanks to Chaewon's chuckle, the awkwardness Minjoo was feeling somehow lessened. 

She watched Chaewon as she prepares the soup that she bought, it was apparently from the fast food chain where she and Chaewon always eat, that fast food chain was one of the witnesses of their friendship, Minjoo smiled at that thought. 

And Chaewon witnessed her smile when she was about to ask Minjoo if her microwave is now working. 

Minjoo quickly nodded then hid herself under the blanket. 

"Why am I acting like this?" She mumbled under her breath and slapped herself after. 

Is she falling for her senior turned partner-in-crime? It's possible but... why now? 

Did she completely move on already? 

The microwave sound made Minjoo snapped back into reality.

Minjoo can't see it since she was inside the blanket but for sure, Chaewon is setting up the soup already. 

And in any moment, she will call her with a soup on her hand... 

"Minjoo—" 

As soon as she heard her name, Minjoo came out from the blanket, she then threw the poor blanket at the floor. 

"You're acting like a kid." Chaewon remarked while placing the cup of soup at the bedside table. 

"Thank you." 

Minjoo started slurping, she is used to eating it even if it was served hot since she liked it so much. The older Kim keeps exchanging glances between Minjoo and the folder she was holding, doubting if she can start opening the topic. 

Chaewon noted on her mind not long time ago that everytime Minjoo and her mushroom soup is having a moment, don't you ever disturb them. It was her partner's favorite food. She wants it to be finished in one go or else she's gonna lose her appetite. 

The older Kim finds it cute, listening to the younger's slurping like a kid, sometimes it reaches the point that she was spilling it already. 

"So, what was the case all about?" 

Chaewon blinked repeatedly, the half emptied cup was already on the table, Minjoo is wiping her lips at the moment. 

That fast? And she didn't even finish the food? 

That was unusual... nevermind, she was sick. Therefore, it's still normal. 

"Kidnapping." 

Minjoo. Was. Disappointed. 

After all the chase she did with Chaewon, she didn't wasted her energy only to find out they will face a new kidnapping case again! 

She picked up the cup again and continued eating. 

Chaewon chuckled as she remembered Minjoo's hatred with kidnapping cases. They usually find the victims alive but unconscious in old warehouses and buildings and that's when Minjoo started to lose interest with it. 

Meanwhile, Chaewon feels neutral about it. 

Unsolved murder cases are their cup of tea and browsing the criminal department's old files are their hobbies while on break in the office. 

But this kidnapping case was more than neutral for Chaewon. This was something. This was more than just a kidnap for ransom.

As she knows the victim so well... 

"What does the kidnapper wants?" 

Chaewon's thoughts brushed off when she heard Minjoo asked a new question.

"She didn't mentioned." 

"Oh... a female kidnapper? That was kind of interesting." Minjoo commented. 

"Wait... it was confirmed a 'she'?" 

"The victim's parents said that they had a conversation with the kidnapper. She didn't use any voice changers like the usual suspects we've gone through." 

"Woah, she's brave huh." Minjoo said in amusement. 

Chaewon agreed. 

"What was the victim's identity? Age? A 'he'or a 'she'? Maybe a teenage boy maybe the girl has some obssession with this guy?" 

"They are the same gender." 

As Chaewon furtherly explains the details of the case, it was slowly getting Minjoo's attention.

"Maybe she was insecure? The kidnapper was inlove with the girl's boyfriend? Maybe—"

"Maybe the kidnapper was obssessed with her victim?" 

Minjoo was left speechless. The way Chaewon said those words are as if she's so sure that that was really the case's story.

"But who knows, right? I'm just obssessed with the girl and girl stories I've been reading lately so I came up with that thought." Chaewon defended, then followed by a chuckle. 

"I didn't know you were into those kind of stuff..." Minjoo mumbled. 

"I know right, a colleague recommended it but I ended up reading more!" 

The topic about Chaewon being into girl's love stories didn't last long. She stood up and went to wash Minjoo's dishes. 

Chaewon told Minjoo that she can now read the folder's contents. The lass immediately reached for the folder that was on Chaewon's seat, then opening it. 

The case was starting to catch her interest. For the first time, Minjoo wasn't able to predict its story. Usually, when she and Chaewon was receiving cases like this, she can unveil its stories without her partner explaining the case in detail.

It wasn't this time.

IZCITY METROPOLITAN POLICE AGENCY  Citizen's Crime/Incident Report Case no. : 0429
Date: 04/20/20

Crime/Incident: Kidnapping for *still unidentified reason*

Date/Time Occurred: 04/20/20 on or between 1:00 - 1:30 AM

Date/Time Reported: 04/20/20 - 1:53 AM

Reported by: Choi Yena (friend of the victim) 

The name rang a bell to Minjoo. She saw the name somewhere. She was sure of it. That was an English name, so its uniqueness made it remarkable for Minjoo. 

Right, it was her ex's best friend. 

But whose friend of hers, though? She thought her ex was Yena's only friend... bestfriend.

Details of the incident: (continue to page 2 if necessary)

Me and my bestfriend went to her girlfriend's house, her girlfriend is going overseas so we thought of coming with her girlfriend at the airport. So yeah... we went there. Wonyoung, her girlfriend's house was in a total disaster!!! Of course, we went to save as much as we can in that house especially Wonyoung. But boy, Wonyoung wasn't there. And me, as the lifesaver, I saw Wonyoung was being pulled by a woman going far away from the burning house. So we ran towards them. The woman let go of Wonyoung when she saw us and she ran away... when we saw Wonyoung... she has A LOT OF BURNS. So me as the lifesaver again, I volunteered to call the ambulance. 
This is getting so long im going to fast forward like FLASH i went back to the two, Wonyoung was STABBED. MY BESTFRIEND  WASNT THERE.

So I therefore conclude that the woman pulling Wonyoung was the one who stabbed Wonyoung and kidnapped Yujin as well. 

I don't know the girl. She wasn'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter