Own The Sky

Jinjoo Oneshot Fiesta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: Minjoo is an ace fighter pilot. Flying above the bullets and cloud, fighting for
peace by owning the sky.

Word Count: 9136

Hashtag: #JinjooFiesta_OwnTheSky

 

Own The Sky

 

Minjoo landed through the guidance of the light on the runway. She was the one who took charge of transporting all of the fighter pilots since she's more capable of flying heavy planes and is also the highest-ranking pilot that was invited to the main headquarter.

 

 

She was the last one who walks down the plane and to shook hands with the high ranking commissioned officers who welcomed them.

 

 

After exchanging some formal greetings of each, they were guided at their respective rooms. Since the main headquarter is placed in an isolated area their flight took some time which is why they have arrived at night.

 

 

Minjoo thanked the officer who guided her into her room before entering. She took a quick shower after taking all of the things out of her luggage.

 

 

Since it was night time the tinted window makes a reflection of the room, restraining minjoo from seeing the outside.

 

 

She hopped on the bed and laid down after drying her hair.

 

 

Suddenly, her mind was thinking about how everything feels like a dream after being a fighter pilot to an ace fighter pilot.

 

 

Being one wasn't even an option when she was young. She dreamed of herself being a doctor, a teacher, or a businesswoman.

 

 

But she never dreamed of anything related to aviation not until she had a conversation with her late grandfather who has been a fighter pilot.

 

 

It opened a whole new world to her. She wanted to fly on her own as her grandfather did.

 

 

Fly with her own wings as she fights for peace in the sky.

 

 

Her mother was against it at first because her father died and he was a soldier but she wasn't able to stop minjoo from dreaming of it.

 

 

Minjoo was persistent, sincere, and clearly has bravery flowing in her blood.

___________________________________________

 

 

 

Minjoo prepares herself. She will be joining the mission in Mexico the day after tomorrow. And they have a meeting about the clarification and official announcement.

 

 

She was guided to the building by the same officer who walks her through her room.

 

 

On their way to the office, Minjoo spotted the general who welcomed her yesterday. Minjoo bowed as they met each other's gaze.

 

 

The general walk towards her with a warm smile. One thing that Minjoo notice from the people working in this headquarter is their kindness and humbleness.

 

 

"We will just walk together, you can go"

 

 

The one guiding her then left after being dismissed.

 

 

"I'm General Kwon Eunbi, we will be working together with the mission in Mexico"

 

 

"Ace fighter pilot Kim Minjoo, it is a pleasure to work with you. I am looking forward to it"

 

 

They've exchanges smile before walking.

 

 

Minjoo turned her head at the glass window as they walk their way, outside are some different fighter planes lined on top of the aviation building.

 

 

"I will make one of our lieutenant pilots give you a tour" Minjoo turned her head at the general who spoke.

 

 

"Thank you, General, Kwon"

 

 

The general replied with a light smile.

 

 

As they walk their way to the office Minjoo notice helicopters landing.

 

 

The commissioned officers who are walking ahead of them stopped as they entered one by one. Minjoo's eyes left the helicopters for a while only to see that they've finally reached the meeting room.

 

 

The general let her enter first. The view of the other building can be seen here as well as footage of different interiors and the outside of both buildings.

 

 

They have settled themselves with their seats. Most of the officers are busy talking to each other while minjoo remained silent and confused.

 

 

"The colonels who will be working with us has just arrived, they are on their way to the office now" The general informed her, she might have noticed her curiosity.

 

 

It didn't take long enough before the two said colonels entered. Silencing the room as bowed and walk their way to their seats.

 

 

The meeting then started.

 

 

Minjoo noticed, one of the colonels who they have waited for was stealing glances into her direction.

 

 

"Yes?" The one reporting stopped and asks, all of their heads turned into the colonel who's raising her hand with her gaze is still fixed on Minjoo.

 

 

"Sorry for the interruption I'm just going to state my opinion. The deputy commander and I have encountered a similar mission like this before and having a lot of fighter pilots didn't really help. Our base in Mexico is lacking fighter jets unlike our base in here, shouldn't we lessen the pilots who will be going?"

 

 

Murmurs of opinions filled the room. Some agreeing and some still contemplating the colonel's suggestion.

 

 

The general turned her head at minjoo. As if she's waiting for her to say something since she will be leading the fighter pilots.

 

 

Minjoo also raised her hand, silencing the room.

 

 

"Having excess fighter pilots is not a problem but lacking is. The aircraft might be few but I will make sure every single pilot under my command will do something."

 

 

Everyone seems to trust her enough as all of them didn't say anything and waited for the general.

 

 

"It is true that some of the fighter pilots that aren't able to fly an aircraft on the mission of Mexico became a headache for the soldiers as they have to protect them by the ambush. But considering your records of handling a good team, I agree on keeping everyone still" The general said.

 

 

The room was then filled with the same words of agreement. Minjoo looked at the colonel to see her response but instead of a displeased or gloomy reaction, the colonel was smiling wildly at her with amusement evident on her eyes.

 

 

"I was worried about you but it turns out you're the ace fighter pilot they were talking about. Forget my suggestion, I didn't know the most stunning pilot will be joining me with this mission"

___________________________________________

 

 

 

 

When the meeting ended, the general asks lieutenant Kang to tour her after having lunch.

 

 

The colonel who kept on smiling at her a while ago was volunteering to tour her but the general made her do something with the other colonel.

 

 

The lieutenant was kind but does not talk that much so their footsteps are the only noise echoing as they walk their way to the aviation building.

 

 

As they enter the building, minjoo's eyes almost twinkled at the sight of the used fighter jets in the world war displayed inside.

 

 

Planes just never failed to make her happy.

 

 

"There are more at the back of this building."

 

 

The lieutenant started walking again but was considerate enough to do it slowly for Minjoo to have a better look at the planes inside.

 

 

Once they've reached the back of the building, Minjoo finally saw the fighter planes closer. Excitement filled her body as she stares in amazement of each.

 

 

"Would you also do me a favor?," The lieutenant asks as they walk towards the nearest warplane.

 

 

Minjoo slowly touched the General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon. Grazing her fingertips through it.

 

 

"Depends if I know I can do it"

 

 

"Prevent falling"

 

 

Minjoo stopped and looked at the lieutenant curiously.

 

 

"Never fall for anyone in here"

 

 

Minjoo's side lip slightly rose.

 

 

"I’m not interested in being in a relationship, lieutenant"

___________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Dinner passed by and minjoo can't help it but be bored as she lay on her bed. The time ticks slowly in here and the fact that there is nothing to do until the next day is making minjoo feel like she's wasting some time.

 

 

The telephone rang, surprising minjoo. She immediately picked it up and waited for the caller to speak.

 

 

"Good evening, I've come to notice how bored you are so I called"

 

 

"I'm sorry but who's this?"

 

 

"Have you forgotten about my voice baby? It's Colonel Ahn"

 

 

Minjoo's eyebrows furrowed. But soon enough recalled the meeting in the morning.

 

 

"I don't think it's fine to drop formalities like that colonel. I am also not your baby, but your acquaintance. I would appreciate it if we respect each other by addressing ourselves in our current rank"

 

 

There was silence on the other line of the phone. Was she too rude?

 

 

"Hello?"

 

 

"I'm sorry about that. I was quite stunned by your voice"

 

 

"I apologize if it sounded harsh or offensive colonel," Minjoo said, her tone far from sincerity.

 

 

"No, not that. I was stunned because it sounded just my type" a sigh escapes minjoo's lips. She massages her temples and calmed her self down.

 

 

"If you don't have anything more to say I will drop the call now"

 

 

"No. Wait, not yet!"

 

 

"Do you have something important to say, colonel?"

 

 

"No, but I do have a question"

 

 

Minjoo didn't say anything as she waited for the colonel to ask.

 

 

It was a long silence on the other line once again before the colonel spoke.

 

 

"Forget it, you must be tired. Have a goodnight's sleep Minjoo."

 

 

Minjoo was surprised but then decided to also bid her goodbye and end the call.

 

 

How did the colonel call her?

 

 

Minjoo shakes her head and walks towards her bed.

 

 

She should think of the plane she will be testing tomorrow.

 

 

She came in here for improvement, definitely not to think about the flirty colonel that she only knows the surname of.

___________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Minjoo woke up by her body alarm. Pilots have been trained to control their bedtime that's why it's not really hard for minjoo to have a decent sleep even from unfamiliar or new places.

 

 

She groomed herself and wear her uniform. She walks down towards the aviation building.

 

 

She planned on taking a look at the plane they will be testing later at noon. She wasn't able to take a look at every single plane yesterday since they have a lot and it seems like each model does not only have one.

 

 

"You're early. Have you had your breakfast?"

Minjoo turned her head to the one who spoke and found out it was the other colonel that stayed quiet at the meeting.

 

 

"No, but I will, a bit later. I am fighter pilot Kim Minjoo by the way"

 

 

"Lieutenant colonel Choi Yena"

 

 

They've shaken each other hand as they introduced each other.

 

 

"What brings you here lieutenant Choi?" Minjoo asks.

 

 

"I was called by the head commander of aviation."

 

 

"I see"

 

 

"Going back to eating, do you have some things to do? If you're planning to look at the model you will be flying at later then can show it to you after having breakfast. We can also go to the military building if you want to because I'm assuming you only have entered the two buildings?"

 

 

Minjoo agreed and thanked the lieutenant Choi in advance.

 

 

So far, most of the officers minjoo knew are young. But most importantly they are also kind and not as boastful as some of the officers who have to introduce themselves with their achievements.

 

 

Right after having breakfast, they walk towards the said military building. Minjoo notices that the design was different from the aviation and main.

 

 

There are stares coming from those who pass by them but minjoo decided to ignore it. Most have also saluted the colonel beside her as they pass by.

 

 

 

Almost all of them are performing exercises outside the building making the inside almost empty.

 

 

Lieutenant Choi made her enter different rooms. Showed her almost the whole interior of the building.

 

 

"This is the shooting room-- oh Yujin is here"

 

 

Yujin? The one shooting continued on firing each of the spots. Perfectly and fastly through the exact middle of each.

 

 

The lieutenant ran towards the shooter and removed the ear protection.

 

 

Minjoo recognizes it was the colonel when she quickly looked at lieutenant Choi with a surprised face.

 

 

It looks like she was quite pissed about her shooting session getting interrupted but when her eyes landed on minjoo she immediately let go of her gun and ran towards the pilot with a wide smile.

 

 

"Good morning pilot. You look beautiful again today"

 

 

"Thank you, colonel ahn."

 

 

"My surname really does sound better when you say it. Don't you think?"

 

 

"Every surname sounds better when it is with what you are currently."

 

 

"Should I be a Kim then?"

 

 

Minjoo's eyebrows furrowed.

 

 

"Since I am currently yours. Should I be a Kim then?"

 

 

Minjoo rolled her eyes and looked at the lieutenant colonel who's now the one wearing the ear protection while checking the guns.

 

 

"Please deliver my word to lieutenant Choi that I would be taking my leave, I have to go to the meeting now. And also I don't need to own you neither do you have to get my surname"

 

 

Minjoo bowed her head and walked out. It's a good thing she's good at directions since she kind of expected that something would come up and will be left or have to go outside the building by herself.

 

 

A loud approaching running footsteps echoed through the hallway as she's near one of the exits of the building.

 

 

"Minjoo!"

 

 

She turned her head at the colonel who called her name and stopped.

 

 

"Safe sky, Minjoo. I still have to have lunch with you"

___________________________________________

 

 

 

 

The meeting was about precautions and safety checks. After testing the flight helmet and wearing their g-suit. Lieutenant Kang and minjoo walk towards their designated plane. Lieutenant Kang would be minjoo's wingmen because of a possible surprise attack.

 

 

"This is ace pilot Kim Minjoo. Testing F-16 Fighting Falcon. Ready for take-off."

 

 

Minjoo and the lieutenant flew. Following the instructor who's helping them get used to the plane because it is the same model, they will be using to Mexico.

 

 

Minjoo looked down to see the bigger picture of the headquarter.

 

 

It is definitely way much beautiful than what she expected.

 

 

They've done some tricks on the sky. And the last thing that they have to do is to try their weapons.

 

 

"This is Commander Lee speaking, Our radar detected an approaching plane at the north. Stay alert." A different voice spoke.

 

 

Minjoo entered big clouds as she waits for the information.

 

 

It was a good thing they haven't tried releasing their weapons yet. If they release it earlier then they would be so defenseless into the dog fight.

 

 

"We have identified the plane. Mig-21. Changest direction, now approaching in the west. 5miles away."

 

 

Mig-21 is mostly used by the terrorist. And minjoo has encountered a lot before. However, the pilot who's flying the current plane was smart enough to put a safe distance before approaching near for the release of weapon.

 

 

Minjoo silently curses. The enemy radar was surely locked up. She will get blown in any second.

 

 

However, she has an advantage. The calculations made by the radar can be changed and it would take some time to calculate again. Minjoo turned north, entering another big white cloud before tilting her plane and diving down fast towards the ground.

 

 

The calculation was made in the sky, if the radar sees land it will do a recalculation.

 

 

She pulled up when the plane chasing her also dives down and continued on trying to confuse the radar until the lieutenant's plane is near enough them.

 

 

Lieutenant Kang locked her radar towards the plane that is chasing minjoo and when she's 3miles near them. She released her aim 7 missle blowing up the enemy's plane.

 

 

Minjoo breathed heavily, her heartbeat never slowing down as they wait for the status.

 

 

"The radar detected another terrorist plane approaching in the north, turn south and fly at a low altitude! Now!"

 

 

Minjoo and the lieutenant made a sharp turn.

 

 

"They are in finger-four formation. All of them are using the P-51 Mustang. This aircraft flies into a maximum of about 440 miles per hour and armed with six wing-mounted 0.5-inch. And 12.7-mm. Machine guns. Bring them to us and the snipers will fire them to immobilize their planes"

 

 

"Roger"

 

 

Minjoo and lieutenant Kang lowered their altitude. Making the terrorist plane chase them with the same height for them to focus their radar.

 

 

After passing by their headquarters. Series of gunshots can be heard. The 4 planes catch fire and crashed towards the forest.

 

 

Minjoo landed first and was then followed by the lieutenant.

 

 

Smoke from the explosion almost covered the whole side of the aviation building.

 

 

She rushed to go down on the plane. But stayed in her place when she saw a soldier running towards her while shouting her name.

 

 

It was the colonel.

 

 

Who welcomed her first with a wide smile and envelope her in a big hug while saying she did well.

 

 

Everything goes on like a video with belated sound.

 

 

The smiles and proud cheers of those who work in the headquarter can be heard and seen even from afar.

 

 

She hates showing off. She hates it when it feels like she's trying to impress when she's just doing what she's really good at.

 

 

But the colonel was looking at her with those captivating expressive eyes full of sincerity.

 

 

"It's a recognition baby. An acknowledgment of how amazing you are. I am saying this as someone who has witnessed you fly not as a colonel with sugar-coated words. You're an amazing pilot"

___________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Praises. That's what minjoo always gets when she meets new people.

 

 

When she hops down after flying and taking down an enemy plane.

 

 

When she walks on stage to receive an award or a new rank.

 

 

All of those were something that made minjoo felt a bit good. But at the same time, it made her think if they really meant it.

 

 

Some were pure envy. While some sounded like they have no choice but to say those words to her.

 

 

Never in her life, she did something to impress anyone. She lived her life making her self happy.

 

 

That's why praises become something she hates.

 

 

But it's the first time in her life someone welcomed her with pure sincerity. And it felt so good.

 

 

Seeing someone deeply proud of her.

 

 

But was the colonel really is?

 

 

After all, they just met for the second time.

 

 

Everyone became busy after.

 

 

Firefighters and some media came and the commander was the one who handled all the reports just as what minjoo requested.

 

 

She had lunch with the colonel too when she was done talking with all the officers.

 

 

The colonel helped on immobilizing the plane that's why she wasn't at the military building. It was a good thing that she was there since everything that happened that afternoon was a rush.

 

 

Since everything is fine the mission for tomorrow will go as scheduled.

 

 

They will be leaving later at midnight which is why they got dismissed at 18:00 pm and sent to their room for then to have enough sleep.

 

 

The telephone rang and minjoo fastly stood up to answer it.

 

 

"Good afternoon pilot"

 

 

Minjoo sighed as she heard the colonel's voice.

 

 

"Does every room have telephones? If they have isn't it supposed to be used for important conversations?"

 

 

"Every room does have and yes it is used for important conversations or to deliver messages which is what I am doing"

 

 

"I think they meant to say deliver important messages"

 

 

"Exactly."

 

 

"And what is your important message colonel?"

 

 

There was a silence on the other line before the colonel spoke.

 

 

"I just want you to know that if you need something you can approach me"

 

 

"You can tell that to me personally colonel," Minjoo replied.

 

 

"I know, I just didn't."

 

 

Minjoo cleared .

 

 

"Thank you for minding me, colonel. But I can handle myself. I will be ending this call now so both of us can have a rest."

 

 

"Right. I forgot how independent you are. Just in case you need me you can always approach me. Have a good sleep pilot. Let's have our first successful mission."

 

 

Minjoo then ended the call and slowly walks towards her bed.

 

 

She groaned as she lay down. She suddenly cannot sleep as the colonel entered her mind.

 

 

Tossing around, she shuffled her hair and stared at the ceiling.

 

 

"What the hell is wrong with me?"

___________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

They've reached the base in Mexico in the morning.

 

 

The soldiers staying there saluted them as they walk down the plane. The atmosphere was very gloomy. Most of the soldiers are clearly weak too.

 

 

The general was the one who talked to the captain while the others observed the place.

 

 

"Attention everyone!"

 

 

Everyone fixed their posture and waited for the general to continue.

 

 

"I will assign specific roles to take over the soldiers in here. We will handle this base for a while as we complete the mission. Is that clear?!"

 

 

Everyone shouted in agreement synchronising "Yes Maam!"

___________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone was divided into troops. Each has a captain and has assigned time to patrol certain places.

 

 

Teamwork. That's what minjoo noticed the headquarter likes. Even with how strict the higher officers are the obvious respect and admiration they have for them can be seen.

 

 

While some will be patrolling, some will be learning things about first aid and the culture of Mexico since they will be helping to give relief when the donations have come.

 

 

"Would you like some help? I know a lot about aircraft too" Minjoo raised her head and recognizes it was the captain the general was talking to.

 

 

"I can manage captain"

 

 

Minjoo continued on checking each of the fighter planes. Since they said that it hasn't been used for quite some time.

 

 

"I've heard about you"

 

 

"I think everyone did"

 

 

"Indeed. You took down 5 planes on your second day at the main headquarter"

 

 

"It wasn't just me captain. If I did then I will be double ace but I am not. People from the headquarter did contribute to the successful dog fight. I guess you didn't hear quite enough"

 

 

A chuckle escapes the captain's lips.

 

 

"I'm captain Kim Chaewon by the way"

 

 

Minjoo removed the dirt from her hands and looked at the captain.

 

 

"It was nice knowing you captain. I'll be going now"

 

 

Minjoo bowed politely and started walking back to the building. She still has to report to commander lee.

 

 

Running footsteps made minjoo looked at her back but was surprised when the person running stopped in front of her.

 

 

The colonel was smiling widely as she towers minjoo.

 

 

"Where are you going? We still haven't had a lunch pilot."

 

 

"I still have to report to commander lee"

 

 

"The report can wait. Let's eat"

 

 

Minjoo wasn't able to do anything when the colonel pulled her and intertwined both of their hands.

 

 

"Let go of my hand colonel"

 

 

Minjoo said irritatedly.

 

 

Some are gazing into their hands as they walk pass by some soldiers.

 

 

Minjoo matched her footsteps with the colonel and tried to free her hand.

 

 

The colonel purposely slowed her footsteps to whisper something into minjoo's ear.

 

 

"If you hate people flirting at you then let me hold your hand. That way you'll only be annoyed at me. And you can call me by my name baby. It's yujin."

___________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Time passes by quickly and the sun was alread

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter