Fragments

Jinjoo Oneshot Fiesta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: Grand Prize (Daesang) winner for best actress Kim Minjoo and rising star of the year Ahn Yujin are exes who will be working in a new project together after years of no contact. Minjoo as the female lead and Yujin as the second lead. Will they be able to successfully finish the project? Moreover, can they eventually find a way to reunite the broken fragments back?

 

Word Count: 7371

Hashtag: #JinjooFiesta_Fragments

 

Fragments

 

Yujinnie, congratulations on winning the rising star of the year! Being your fan for almost 5 years, I can attest that you earned that award with your hard work and love for acting. It is finally time that you get the recognition you deserve and I promise, I will always be here to stand by your side. Keep shining, Yujinnie!

-@withyoujin

Yujin reached for the tissue to wipe her overflowing tears for the nth time today. She has been unwrapping and reading the newly sent gifts and letters by her fans which Yena delivered to her early morning. Most of them were congratulatory gifts for winning the rising star of the year a few nights ago at the Seoul Film Awards.

Ever since she became active in the industry there were a number of fans that she can recognize by face and username. One of them is user @jangwonyo, a student who's also training to be an actress because she found inspiration from Yujin. @withyoujin is also a fan she remembers as she never misses an opportunity to send Yujin gifts and letters. Although she has never met the user in person, she feels very thankful to know that someone out there is walking beside her towards her dream.

"Aww, baby, don't cry! You need to look gorgeous for the script reading later so I can be proud of you!" Yena sat on the floor next to Yujin to wipe her wet and red cheeks.

Yujin sobbed louder, "so you won't be proud if I look ugly?"

"Haha, I didn't say that. It's my fault anyway that I brought you these today." Yena organized the boxes of gifts until Yujin finally calmed down after a few minutes.

Yujin was opening a wrapped gift box when her attention was piqued by the news anchor on the tv for mentioning someone's name.

"...Kim Minjoo won the Daesang for best actress at the Seoul Drama Awards last Friday, April 24, 2020! Following her achievement, the actress' company also announced that she will make her movie debut later this year..."

"Oh, you didn't tell me she won?" Yujin threw Yena a sceptical look.

"Uhh, I didn't think you were interested?" Yena replied back with the same questioning tone.

As Yujin's award was only part of the first half of the event, the staff urged them to leave early because the veteran actors and actresses will take over their seats for the second half. She wasn't aware of who got which awards afterwards since she was too busy celebrating her own victory.

"What will you do anyway if you knew that she won? Congratulate her? Hug her? Wish you never let her go like you did?"

"Hey, not fair! No need to go that far, Yena," Yujin sulked. In her mind, Yena was right. Thinking back, she would not know how to react if she was present when Minjoo won the award. She can't even see Minjoo due to their schedules much more talk to her. She assumes that they might be very awkward the next time they meet.

"Anyway, ready to go? We can't be late for your first major role, baby." Yena stood up first and offered her hands to help Yujin stand, which she immediately regretted. Despite being older, Yena has weaker limbs compared to her tall and healthy actress.

Yujin can't help but snicker, "Unnie, you're cute."

"Of course I am. Now carry your things and don't let me do all the stuff for you." Yena acted like a responsible manager. Yujin carried her blue duffel bag that contains everything she needs for the day from the makeup to the extra outfits. She was also the one who locked the door of their house while Yena went ahead to start the engine of their black van.

As Yujin still hasn't earned much from her projects, her company can't afford to buy her a better van nor can they hire a driver for her. It's not as if she needs one anyway, Yena drives for her. The only thing she received from her agency is the small housing enough for her and Yena to live in.

Yujin reviewed the script for the first script reading of her new project the entire ride. It will be her first time playing the second lead. In her five years in the industry, all she played were extra and side characters. However, her performance as the side character in one of her projects early last year granted her the ticket to be slowly recognized by casting directors. Eventually, she received roles that had longer screentime as the year passed by and that's how she achieved the rising star of the year award nights ago.

She stopped reading when she remembered something, "by the way, you haven't told me who the other leads are."

Yena almost stepped on the brakes but fortunately, she was able to control herself, "Uhm, maybe because I don't know?"

"Really? Don't you always know that information beforehand?" Yujin could not believe that her talkative and overly friendly manager has not gathered anything about the project.

"Well, Director Kwon and her team are known to be, y'know, tight-lipped."

Yujin wasn't convinced but she was more worried about her lines so she just diverted her attention onto it. Time passed by quickly and before she realised, they already reached the building with a big logo in front of it, "Off The Record Entertainment". Its exterior is enough proof that it is indeed one of the biggest broadcasting stations in Korea. It wasn't as tall as the other buildings it but it was definitely broader.

It was Yujin's first time to enter OTR's building as she has never been cast in any of their projects before. Their casting directors are so hard to please too! She suddenly had a mental image if their tiny company. It must be the same size as two to three rooms here.

Yena parked the van near the side entrance, which is the doorway for VIPs such as actors and executives. Yujin quickly fixed her look before getting out of the car meanwhile Yena volunteered to carry her duffel bag. As soon as they entered the building, the two were surprised to see the director for the film waiting in front of the elevator.

"Director-nim! It's a pleasure to bump into you here," Yena cheerfully greeted her as if they were longtime friends.

Yujin, on the other hand, bowed ninety degrees to show respect for the exceptional young director, "Good afternoon, Director!"

Eunbi smiled in return, "Did you practice well for our first reading, Yujin? I have very high expectations for you based on your audition last month."

"Yujin will do her best to satisfy you, Director-nim!" Yena proudly claimed. Yujin agreed, "I will!"

"How confident," a tiny voice with a suspicious tone commented behind Eunbi. Yena gleamed in delight when she saw Eunbi's cute assistant. In her pink suit and shorts, one wouldn't think that she is an adult working in a respectable firm.

"Nako! You didn't tell me you were there!" Yujin smiled awkwardly to hide the second-hand embarrassment as Yena's voice echoed amidst the empty hallway. Nako quivered in disgust when Yena hugged her. She was so thankful when the elevator finally arrived. As Eunbi's assistant, she entered first and pressed the door open button until everyone was inside already. Yujin glanced outside the glass elevator and saw the number of reporters that were scattered around the building. Unknowingly, she started fidgeting with her fingers.

"Are you nervous?" Eunbi asked.

Yujin anxiously smiled, "I'm just curious as to who the other actors are. I'm pretty sure they're all big names since they're working with you."

Eunbi glanced at Yena but the latter quickly avoided the eye contact and pretended to be busy talking to Nako, "Huh, I thought I informed Yena about it. Well, you will see them in a minute, Yujin."

The elevator stopped on the fourth floor which is where most official events are held. What greeted them as they went out was the lobby with various coloured sofas and wooden coffee tables. A few computers and printers can also be spotted across the area. Thanks to the glass walls, the sun freely illuminated through the entire floor which made it brighter than it already is.

Nako led the way and stopped in front of an opaque glass door. As she is taller than Nako, Yujin was able to peek at the few people inside, which she wished she hadn't. The pressure and tension she was feeling doubled when she caught a glimpse of some of the biggest names in the industry. Numerous thoughts clouded Yujin's mind. Deep inside her, she's still hesitant about her skills even though she had tons of experiences already.

Can she keep up with the other actors? Can she avoid messing up? Is she ready for this big role?

Yena noticed that her actress was breathing unevenly. She cupped Yujin's cheeks and gave her what she absolutely needed to discard the negative thoughts, "you waited for this breakthrough for a long time, baby Yujinnie. We all believe you can do it and that is left is for you to believe the same. Fighting!"

A small smile finally appeared on Yujin's face. She is very lucky to have a friend, a family, and a manager all in one in her life. She couldn't have reached this far without Yena's trust in her skills. A realization struck her that she also needs to prove Yena that what she has been building for several years will not go in vain. She held Yena's hand and together, they entered the room with Nako still holding the door for them.

"You're not paying me to open the door for you," Nako rolled her eyes before approaching Eunbi, who was already entertaining someone. Unfortunately, Eunbi was blocking the view so Yujin didn't have the chance to see who it was.

As a junior, she prioritized introducing herself to her seniors first. The uneasiness in her had vanished when the veteran actors greeted her with warmth and tenderness. She should not have judged them to be intimidating before talking to them. Meanwhile, Yena immediately scanned the room as soon as they got in as if she was looking for something.. or someone. As if on cue, Eunbi ordered Yujin to come near her.

"Yujin! Come and greet your senior."

Yujin excused herself from the other actors and approached Eunbi. Little did Yujin know that she should have prepared her heart before stepping forward. Eunbi stepped aside, revealing the lady she was talking to earlier. Before she even got close, Yujin already recognised the woman in a casual white polo and denim jeans. It was evident that God spent a lot of time sculpting every part of her flawless face, Yujin thought. As if her gorgeous face was not enough, she really had to dye her hair pink and curl it lightly to make it wavy. The sun from the glass wall shined on her making her attract attention from everyone in the room.

"Minjoo..." Yujin muttered under her breath as she locked eyes with Minjoo's mellow yet enticing brown eyes.

She looks so different, so strange. Yujin thought.

It seemed impossible to break off the eye contact between the two. Even Minjoo couldn't stop herself from drowning onto Yujin's captivating dark brown eyes. The first thing anyone would notice was Yujin's bright blue hair. Not everyone can pull it off yet Yujin is a proof that one can look gorgeous in any hair colour as long as they are already visually appealing. However, unlike everyone else, the first thing that Minjoo noticed was Yujin's dimples, which is her asset according to Minjoo. It was much deeper than they were the last time they met.

Suddenly, fragments of the past came to her like the crashing waves of the sea. It can't be denied that the pain is still there but knowing that they both made it this far individually, Minjoo is still thankful. The sacrifice for their happiness years ago was all worth it.

"Hey," Minjoo was the first one to break the ice. She smiled sweetly and waved at Yujin, "It's been so long."

Yujin waved and smiled back, "Yeah, it's good to see you here."

Yena ran to Yuri and clung in her arms, "well, aren't they awkward?" The two giggled and separated from the actresses who were both in the middle of contemplating what to do next. Anyone who would look at then would definitely assume that they aren't good friends or that they are just acquaintances.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, someone was getting impatient already. "Director, everyone is present. Even the reporters are already in their seats. Can we start the reading already?" Nako informed Eunbi with a tablet and a pen in her hand.

Eunbi felt the slightly uncomfortable atmosphere between the two. Even though Minjoo's cheeks were red and Yujin was obviously shaking, the two were oblivious to each of their reactions and Eunbi was the one left to notice it. Acting as she doesn't have an idea about what's happening, Eunbi decided to act professionally.

"It seems like there is no more need for introduction for the two of you. You may continue catching up later. For now, you may find your seats and we'll start the reading."

Minjoo was the first to react between them. In a soft voice, she invited Yujin to look for their seats together. Luckily, their nameplates were right in front of each other. The oval conference allowed them to see each other eye-to-eye even though they were on opposite sides.

"Before we start, let's have everyone introduce themselves quickly. Say your name and the role you will be playing." Everyone had their eyes on Eunbi as she took the chair in the middle of the table while Nako was standing on her right.

Eunbi glanced at Minjoo who was attentively listening to her speak, "As the lead actress, Minjoo, can you go first?"

Minjoo reluctantly nodded. She reached for the mic in front of her and stood up, "G-good afternoon! I'm Kim Minjoo and I will be playing as Kang Hyewon, the lead character." She bowed respectfully three times on different sides to make sure that she acknowledged everyone's presence. On her last bow, she accidentally met eyes with Yujin who seemed like she was watching her every move.

Minjoo suddenly felt conscious of her actions. Even though she wanted to act like it didn't bother her, her eyes just can't stop being attracted to Yujin's eyes so she stared back Embarrassed because she realised that she was caught staring, Yujin almost aggressively turned her head away. Minjoo chuckled at her ex's reaction.

"Aren't you the grand daesang award winner?" A veteran actress who was sitting three seats away from her asked. Minjoo softly nodded with her blushed cheeks as murmurs of astonishment and congratulatory phrases filled the room.

"Thank you," she bowed once again before carefully taking her seat.

"Thank you, Minjoo," Eunbi turned to Yujin, "will you go next?"

Yujin nodded and stood up. It was evident from the looks of the other actors that she wasn't well-known. Some were even insensitive enough to loudly ask who she was but Yujin could not care less. After all, she understands better than anyone else that she needs to strive harder to make people recognize her.

"Good afternoon! My name is Ahn Yujin, an actress of five years, and I will be portraying the role of Lee Chaeyeon. This is my first major role in a project so please take good care of me!" One of Yujin's greatest card is her enthusiasm. Her loud, energetic voice echoed across the room which gained appreciations across the room. Like Minjoo, she bowed ninety degrees three times at different sides.

All was well until Yena proudly shouted, "She won the rising star award too!"

Yujin never felt a second-hand embarrassment so strong. She wanted to hide her face because her manager can't control herself. Luckily, the others didn't seem to receive Yena's statement negatively.

"Ohh, that's why you seem familiar. I recognize you already." An actor commented.

Yujin smiled at that simple statement. At least, she was making progress on her popularity. Minjoo also smiled when she saw Yujin's dimples appeared.

The introduction went on for ten more minutes until it was finally Eunbi's turn, "Hello, as you all know I'm the director for this project, Kwon Eunbi. It is an honour for me to work with very big names in the industry. I will work hard to make sure that I can lead you all to portray the roles you were given perfectly. I hope we all get along well for the next six months and make this drama a big success. Fighting!"

Everyone replied back with the same energy and their fists in the air, "Fighting!"

Eunbi clasped her hands together, "so, let's start?"

Everyone took out their script book and the reading went on for about two hours. Yujin was in awe after witnessing Minjoo's acting in person. She didn't realise she was this good. Her natural tone and expression perfectly convinced everyone that she embodied the lead character's personality. After their break up four years ago, she rarely watched any movie or drama that Minjoo has partaken in. Perhaps it was the longing for her presence that she can't bear look at her on-screen.

"You okay, baby?" Yena asked wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter