Catch Me If You Can

Jinjoo Oneshot Fiesta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: Wherein Minju a journalist only need one good story for her to get promoted as the anchor, as she’s near in getting to know the truth she will meet Eugene an undercover agent who has this last mission that is connected to what Minju’s story  is. Will they be a help to each other? Or is it the other way around?

Word Count: 4974

Hashtag: #JinjooFiesta_CatchMeIfYouCan

 

Catch Me If You Can

 

“If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself.” – George Orwell
 

In keeping secrets, you bet I am the best. After two successful missions, I am now on my third and probably the last one since I am going to rest for awhile to settle down to a much peaceful life. I am Ahn Yujin, goes with the name Eugene. I am an undercover agent who handles the biggest mission in our department. Apparently, I need to accomplish this mission before the upcoming election which is about to take place next month. I have to do well in my job since I have to take down Senator Bo Bong-Go, the biggest name in politics in our country today. This will probably be the main event before the election. It took me three years to figure out the mastermind of all these illegal doings.

“I am giving you guys one week to rest. You can do whatever you want. Just don’t do anything that will up all our operation. I am telling you this because I have nothing to lose. I will kill everyone.” His loud voice echoed inside the room. He is Song Minho, the head of the biggest drug syndicate in our country and the right-hand man of Senator Bong-go. We just had our biggest transaction last month. That's the reason why we are having our break. A good chance to take them down.
 

“Got it, boss." They said it in unison. As all of them are taking their leave, I was about to take a step towards the exit when that man suddenly spoke...

“Eugene, I really thought you’re sloppy. I am actually very suspicious of you but you’re doing good.”

Yeah of course. I have to make you believe that I am part of your gang. I have to act like one for less suspicions.

"Thanks, boss.” I responded before I take my leave.
 

I have all the evidences I need except for that one flashdrive that I told my old man to keep. He is Ahn Dong-il, my dad, not biologically though but he took care of me. He was a former undercover agent and I was a victim of child trafficking in one of the missions he was assigned to. Since he doesn’t have a family he took me in. Living a double life is difficult, you can’t have a normal family, a normal life but then, he still cherished me like I am his own child. If it weren’t for him, I don’t know where would ai be right now. I also look up to him so much that’s why I decided to pursue being an undercover agent.

In this mission, he knows that I can’t just tell everything to my superiors without that proof because I am up against a bigger person. I am sure they will cover up everything in an instant as they have the power and money. I can’t let that happen. I've worked hard for this.

Unfortunately, before I came back, my dad died. He's been suffering from lung cancer and too bad, I didn't have a chance to see him in his last days since my work requires hiding my true identity. I can’t just show up in our home and make my dad’s life in danger. He is the only person that I treasure and trust the most.

I am now in my dad’s place but where the hell in the world did he put it? The most important document that I will be needing were here. I have been looking for it in the atique for hours now. I'm certain that I placed it inside this yellow doll though?

KRRRRRR My stomach growled. Yeah right! I haven't eaten yet. Guess, I gotta go outside to grab some snacks and take a break for a moment.

------------

A big office, with lots of paperworks on my desk. Listening to people’s small chatters, along with my computer that's been on for the last 24 hours. My eyes hurt so bad but the strong aroma of my black coffee keeps me awake. Wait, how many cups of coffee did I have already? I lost count of it but...

“Hey, Minju! I am going to cover Greenday’s concert today. I'll just text you when I get home. Finish everything and rest, okay? Got to go, take care.”

I sighed. “Yeah, Eunbi unnie, enjoy the concert.” Your purpose is to cover the concert yet I am still envious that you’re going to see them. I badly want to watch the concert as an ‘idiot’. Aaah, I miss my emo days.

Oh by the way,

Hi, I am Kim Minju, 27 years old. I'm working as a reporter in News Speak---delivering fair, accurate and truthful information. Woah, that sounded like I am preparing for my anchor spiel. How I wish I could get that position already. Anyway, I have been in the field right after graduating. I only took a month break then proceeded in finding a job here in this big network, IZN Network. I have always wanted to work here as a news correspondent. That was my dream and since I did great from my school days after getting good credentials and graduating as Laude, I instantly got my position as news editor. Then after a year, as a news desk assistant. Two years after, voila! I am now a news reporter. I've received recognitions here and there for covering great stories for the people, but I still want more. I want to be an anchor. For me to be able to do that, I need to present a good story to the public.

 

I have this big news with me but I just can’t tell the public audience that I have this evidence from a house of a former undercover agent that I interviewed. He passed away a month ago and I have been doing my own investigation regarding this, all by myself. They will probably not believe me since I am up against a bigger person who’s loved by the whole country. So, I have to be very careful on what I am writing. 

Flashback 

“Thank you for this interview, Mr. Ahn. ” I am here inside the house of a former undercover agent. This is to interview him on how hard it is to live a double life. 

“No sweat, just make sure to make a good story out of it. Okay? ” Seeing how excited he was after telling me about his life as an undercover agent makes me want to do good in making this. I can already imagine how well this documentary would be. 

“Wait here, I am going to prepare snacks. Feel comfortable looking around.” he smiled before he went inside the kitchen area. Mr. Ahn is a good man though he lives alone for now since his daughter is also an undercover agent that is currently on a mission. He told me that it’s his kid's last mission since the kid wanted to spend more time with him.

Looking around I saw a picture of a young kid with Mr. Ahn, with her cute dimple that is very visible. “Oh that’s the only picture I can freely display in the house. You know our job, we have to always be careful about our identity, but the next time you come here I will show you lots of pictures of my beautiful daughter. Everything’s in the stock room so I have to make time to arrange everything. By the way you look very familiar, you know. It’s not because I always watch news, okay? But you really look familiar, what school did you went to in high school?” 

“Daydream High School, Sir. ” I answered him. “That’s why! Because my Yujinnie also went to the same school. You are the model of the school, right?” Excitement can be heard from his voice. 

“Yes, sir. ” I guess I really did good when I was studying for them make me the model of our school. 

“Yeah, you got the brains, the beauty and the confidence as well. You know my daughter... she’s a shy type of student in high school that’s why I really didn’t know that she pursued being an undercover agent but she’s good in sports. She’s good in analyzing stuff, a very good kid, strong both physically and emotionally and her physique is just woah, she’s tall and has a good body proportion and of course, her dad’s handsome so I got a daughter who is also good looking with her beautiful brown eyes and her deep cutie dimple when she smile. God, I really miss her. " he then let out a faint smile. 

He surely do talk a lot. And why does it seems like he's selling her daughter to me? Haha. Nevermind. 

“By the way you describe your daughter, you must've adored her a lot and seeing her picture when she was young, I bet she grew up really well, sir. ” I said. “Yeah. And now, she’s in a dangerous mission. I can’t even talk to her because it’s also for her safety. I can’t even tell her my condition is getting worst. That I might die anytime soon.” the sadness in his voice makes me want to hug him. 

"You know now that I’ve mentioned ‘death’ and I don’t have any family anymore, can I tell you my last will? You know, I feel very comfortable with you since you’re the same age as my daughter. ” 

Last will? The hell. This should be something really important. What could it be? “Sir. Please don’t think negatively you will not die soon. Well, you might die but not now.” he laughed as happy as a pig in the mud.

“Daughter, you’re very funny but on a serious note, you told me earlier that you needed one story to make you an anchor and this story will surely help you. Let’s just say that I am giving this to you as my gift for making me happy since I felt like my daughter’s with me while talking to you. You know, the way your eyes becomes small while smiling and your indian dimple, that reminds me of my dear Yujin.” Now that I am looking at it, the fatherly smile never fades on his face. He loves her so much. “It’s a very important mission of my daughter and I am telling you when you let out this news to the public, make sure that I am no longer alive and make your own investigation on this because we will never know if my daugther will be busted. I am just thinking about the possiblities, what if she get caught and I am dead that time? Who will tell everyone? So, I am begging you please do this for me.” 

I can’t tell what his eyes trying to tell me, is he worried? sad? determined? I don’t know. 

“There’s a yellow doll in the atique. Open the bottom part of it and you will see a flashdrive. I will not tell you anything further on what’s inside the flashdrive but please make sure before you come up with the news about it, you have to keep it to yourself because I am telling you that this issue is really big and it might put you in danger.” 

Oh no. I'm just here for an interview and now I am in a situation that can put my life in danger. But who cares, a story about a double life of an undercover agent, and an evidence of a controversy? Looks like I hit two birds in one stone.

“Dont worry sir, my job is also dangerous. I wouldn't do this in the first place if I can’t do it. Also, I am willing to put my life at risk just to give everyone the trut

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter