That Time a Math Exam Became My Ticket to a Date

Jinjoo Oneshot Fiesta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: When I become student council president, I will ban all exams. But since I'm not there yet, please help me study!

Word Count: 3276

Hashtag: #JinjooFiesta_MathExam

 

When Your Basketball Team Captain Threatens You With Bodily Harm, Beg Your Best Friend for Help

 

          When I thought the InterHigh championships would be the most challenging part of my first year of highschool, I didn’t realize how naive I was. I should have known that the bane of all students would be much more threatening than a simple tournament. 

          “Pst. Yujin.” Yena-unnie whispered from her kneeled position beside me. “Why does it matter what our grade is? It’s the basketball club, not the nerd me--” 

          I flinched away, when a rolled up stack of exams came down upon her head. Standing menacingly behind my whimpering teammate, was our fearful 5’3 captain, Kwon Eunbi. 

          “Why? Have you seen the date for the remedial lessons?! If you fail your exams you can say goodbye to your starting position for the preliminary finals, Choi Yena!” To emphasize her frustration, Eunbi-unnie smacked Yena-unnie once more on the head. 

          “These grades… Can you even call them grades?47 in history?! Yena what have you been learning all year!” Eunbi-unnie smacked Yena-unnie again. “And you! Ahn Yujin!”

          “Yes ma’am” I shot up immediately, hands covering my head. 

          “A 57 in math… 63 in English…” Eunbi-unnie took a deep breath. “I can’t believe my starting team is full of idiots. If neither of you can pass the Finals this semester… I’m tripling your training for the next month!”

          “What?!” Yena-unnie shot up from where she had laid whimpering in fear. “Captain! Unnie! You. You can’t do that! We won’t survive if we have to do triple the training for a month.”

           The cold smile that spread across her cheeks was enough to shut Yena-unnie up immediately. “Well, that’s your problem isn’t it, my dear dongsaengs?”

 

 

 

 

          Which is how both of us find ourselves outside a certain room afterschool despite being kicked out of practice. 

          “So…” 

          “You’re here too unnie.” 

          “Yea… You saw that look on Eunbi-unnie’s face. I thought bat wings were going to grow out of her shoulders.”

          “Me too. I thought I heard the sound of tortured souls in the background!” Just the thought of our demon-like captain was enough to give me goosebumps.

          “So...You’re here for help too?” 

          Taking note of unnie’s weird tone, I noticed her odd look at the doorknob. Nodding, I inconspicuously shifted closer to the door as well.

          “Yea… I don’t even know what chapter we’re on.” The hand that I had reached out was tightly clenched by Yena-unnie’s. 

          Smile tense, she asked, “What do you think you’re doing Yujinie?” 

          Shaking her hand off, I smiled back, dimples on full display. “I’m going to ask for help unnie.”

          I was not going to let Yena-unnie get in there first. She can only tutor one of us and I’m not keen on failing and facing Eunbi-unnie’s wrath.

          “Get in line brat!”

          “What are you talking about? I got here first unnie!” With that, I pushed forward on the door, intent on getting in first. What I had not expected, was that the duck would play dirty. Seconds before I pushed in, she leaned over and blew on my ear. Flinching in surprise, I was too late in stopping my momentum and both of us fell into the room. 

          “Ouch. Unnie this is all your fault.”

          “You should’ve just let me go first you stupid oversized puppy.”

          “You can’t call me stupid, stupid duck.”

          “Ahem.” A cough interrupted our bickering, and we looked up to see the student council in what appeared to be the middle of a meeting. (“Oops” Yena-unnie muttered from behind me.) Awkwardly, we both got up onto our feet and stared at them.

          “Stupid.” Following the source of the voice, I met eyes with Kang Hyewon, treasurer of the student council. Hyewon-unnie was a childhood friend, and like Yena-unnie, was in her third year of high school. Hyewon-unnie too was a troublemaker but unlike us, her interest lay in academics. Unnie was hailed as the math genius of our school.

          “es.” The short girl sitting across from Hyewon-unnie sneered. Yabuki Nako. Representative of the second year. Nako-chan was Japanese, a transfer student who came abroad to study in the prestigious Enozi High.

          “I don’t know them.” A certain tall first year sighed, rubbing her forehead to ease her headache. 

          “Wonyoungie…” I muttered, betrayed. All I got in return was an eyeroll.

          Jang Wonyoung was the first year representative. Smart, model-like, and sweet, she was loved by the student body. She was also my next door neighbor, so we practically grew up together. 

          “What are you two doing in here…” 

          Standing up, the student council president gave their uninvited guests an unimpressed look. Kim Chaewon. I’ve heard rumors that she had made first years peed their pants just from staring at them. Looking at her from up-close, I’m starting to think there might be some truth to that story. “We were in the middle of discussing club funds. Should we cut the basketball club’s funds because of this?”

          Eyes widening in fear, we immediately went dogeza and apologized. “Please don’t! Eunbi-unnie will kill us!”

          A distinct laugh rang out, as the senior representative came to our defense. “Chaewon-ah, let’s let them off this time. I’m sure they don’t mean it.” Lee Chaeyeon. Representative of the third year and captain of Enozi’s champion dance club, and currently my favorite unnie.

          “Yea unnie.” A soft angelic voice spoke up. “I’m sure Yena-unnie and Yujinie have a reason for barging in here.” Looking up hopefully, I was met with the most heart warming smile I’ve seen all day. I nearly teared up when Minjoo-unnie spoke up in our defense. Everyone in the school knew the president had a soft spot for the soft spoken VP. 

          Sighing, Chaewon-unnie sat back down and gestured for us to talk. “You two have 30 seconds to explain why you’re here before I report you to Eunbi-unnie for skipping practice.” 

          “W-well. We didn’t skip practice. We were kicked out.” 

          Chaewon raised an eyebrow but gestured for us to continue. “Unnie said we’re not allowed to go back until we pass our finals.”

          “The basketball team should prepare their bench members then.” The amused treasurer teased. “Eunbi-unnie is expecting too much from the two of you.” 

          “Hyewon-unnie!” We pouted at her lack of faith in us (even if it is true). 

          Hyewon-unnie turned her gaze over to the president, and seeing her apathetic look, Yena-unnie backed up slightly. I felt a small nudge on my back and I turned to glare at the traitorous duck who was pushing me forward to speak. 

          “Well… We were wondering if the student council can help us study?” I squeaked out. The only change in the president’s expression was a twitch of her eyebrows.

          “And why would the student council spare time to help a couple of basketball players?”

          “I’m just here to ask Hyewon-unnie for help!” I stared in disbelief at the tactless duck behind me. Can’t she tell the president wasn’t in the best of mood? Wait… Hyewon-unnie?

          “You’re here to ask Hyewon-unnie?” 

          “You’re not?” 

          A cough interrupted our staring contest, though the source this time was not the president. Minjoo unnie worriedly directed our attention to the president who seemed to have lost her patience. 

          “So uh we’re here to… ask for help.” I finished lamely. 

          Bowing our head, we waited for their verdict. Even without looking up, we knew they were having a silent debate with eye contact alone. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got rejected here. The student council had their own responsibilities and with the school festival coming up, they also had to take up the bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter