A Song Written About You

Jinjoo Oneshot Fiesta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: Yujin was task to write the lyrics for their upcoming song and she decided to write about the story of her love set eight years ago.   

Word Count: 6510

Hashtag: #JinjooFiesta_ASongWrittenAboutYou

 

A Song Written About You

 

It was spring, 

 

Yujin watches her pen roll across the table until it fell off. She closes her eyes and listens to the music quietly playing over, humming the melody of yet to be written song. She took out another pen from her blue pouch and spun them around. 

 

She didn’t know why she agreed to it but she did and here she is trying to write lyrics for their new song. She’s trying to will her head to come up with a better line yet all she can write was. It was spring.

 

What happened in spring? 

 

She remember those words badly scribble in an open notebook. She remembers herself staring at symbols that are both familiar and foreign at the same time. 

 

It is spring. 

 

That’s the only thing she can understand on that forsaken notebook of hers. 

 

When was that again? Exactly eight years ago. 

 

She still remembers the amused face of her tutor, her expression debating whether to step in and explain everything from the top or letting her figure it out on her own. She remembers how her tutor ate a slice of cake seemingly too big for her, just so a good slice won’t stay untouched any longer. It’s vividly etched in her memories. 

 

She circles her pen around the word spring. Today is also spring. Maybe she should really write about it. About spring, love in spring. Those things are popular after all. Spring is the season of love blooming they say. She sighed; maybe writing about it now would be good. 

 

Still, that spring, her spring of eight years ago was not only about love blossoming but also of opportunities miss. It was when she learned what love is. It is, as one of her closest friend / former tutor love to point out, is tragically late. 

 

She messages her, the cake loving woman who is probably bothering her manager right now. She wanted to ask for her opinion. 

 

What did she expect? She got the usual response: 

 

[

Hw: What do you need?  Yj: I want to write song about you know when… Hw: Do you really need to ask me? Yj: Well you are part of it obviously I want your opinion.  Hw: It’s good material – my girl says so.  Yj: Can your replies get any dryer? I swear you’re only my friend so you can screw my manager.  Yj: Oh yeah wait for it I’m so gonna tell on you.  Hw: She’s angry at me what did you said? Jinnie!?  Yj: Guess what?  Hw: Yudaeng, Dog. I’m going to show your fans your 10points Math test. Just you wait!

]

 

Yujin chuckled over her friend flood of angry messages. She hunch over, repeatedly hitting the table while imagining the face of her friend.  

 

Yujin felt a breeze come in from the slightly open window. She closes her eyes. It’s a story begging to be written – so she gave in to her muse and started piecing the words to match the tune.

 

She relaxes her head as a flood of images come rushing in until she got to those days – days that are still vivid in her memory. 

 

I remember it vividly

 

Vivid as she can get it to be.

 

Its afternoon, she’s been coming to the same house for a couple of times now. It’s her fourth visit, she guessed – since she started high school. She sat there, hands over her head staring at the unanswered questions of her math assignment. 

 

She hears the minute sound of her surrounding as her head tries to latch on anything to distract her from the torture that is math. She hears her tutor biting down on a slice of cake for the umpteenth time – consuming almost half of their suppose snack for the afternoon. 

 

Yujin ended up staring at the older girl. She is staring at her taking another bite. The older look back to her with brows furrowed. Yujin can see the gears running inside her head – debating whether to explain everything again or have a break.  

 

Yujin did her best to escape the torment that is her math lesson.

 

“Yujinnie, Do you want me to explain it again?” The older asked.

    

“No Hyewon-unnie its fine…” She lied.

 

“You obviously can’t answer it. How about we take a break for now?” Hyewon lifted up a piece of cake to , “Eat this.” 

 

Yujin gladly took the cake, like the puppy she is causing a giggle from the older. 

 

“Honestly, I’ve explained it to you for the 3rd time.” Hyewon said with her expressionless face focus on cutting another slice of cake and putting it to a plate to give to Yujin. 

 

“Because you’re bad at teaching.” Yujin huffed.

 

“Yah.. Yujinie!!!”

Yujin laugh at her reaction. It’s fun getting a rise from the older. 

 

“Be thankful your mom just sends you to me instead to hagwon.” 

 

The ideas of hagwon give Yujin a scare. “Please don’t ever suggest to her to enroll me to hagwon. Math is my only enemy. Unnie~~” She whined. “You know I’m not like you. You got selected to a top uni and all you do is eat and sleep.” 

 

“Yahh!!!” 

 

Hyewon decided to tickle the younger and it started a back and forth teasing. “I heard you’re half-sister is here. I haven’t seen her maybe she’s way prettier than you.” 

 

“Ah her.. well she..” The older tried to say as she catches her breath. 

 

“What’s the problem unnie? I heard--” 

 

Yujin turned her head around, upon hearing the gentle voice inquiring the eldest about the commotion. For a moment she felt her soul leaving her body. She couldn’t remember what the girl said after. All she could focus on is her angelic face, the way her voice sounded. How the light hits her face on all the right angle and the way her hair swings with the wind.

 

No offense to her Hyewon-unnie who by all metrics is also a goddess but what the hell. Her sister is equally … If not more – what’s the word – she’s beyond mesmerizing. 

 

Yujin recalls her heart was probably stolen right at that moment without her noticing it. Who knows? She started scribbling new words trying to capture the beauty of it. 

 

How your hair sways with the wind 

 

“Ah Minjoo-yah.” Hyewon said, “Im just teasing Yujinie here. You two haven’t seen each other right. She’s that kid I’m teaching. Our mom’s friend daughter.” 

 

Yujin observed Minjoo’s eyes who are currently observing her older sister. Yujin can feel the awkward atmosphere between the sisters. She can’t put what it is exactly. 

 

“Ah I see… It’s Yujin… of Mrs. Ahn?” Minjoo asked after diverting her eyes from Hyewon to Yujin. 

 

Looking at those deep brown pools of thoughts that bored holes straight to Yujin’s soul, it gave her chills at the same time it invited her to swim into them. To know the person who hold them. 

 

“Min Min.” Hyewon mumbled while she tries to steady herself after standing. 

 

“Minmin?” Minjoo ask. 

 

Yujin notice the sudden excitement in her tone.  

 

“Ah yeah I just want to call you that... I mean if-if you don’t mind. Are you going to practice the Piano?” 

 

“If it won’t distract the two of you?” Minjoo look straight to Yujin’s eyes. 

 

“I don’t mind.” Yujin averted her gaze and planted them to her still unanswered assignments. 

 

“We don’t mind Min. Actually I love listening to you.” Hyewon added.  

 

Yujin carefully listen to the sound of the piano, the way the keys are pressed and the beautiful voice that accompany it. 

 

“You know she really love playing and singing.” Hyewon whispered. “Should we go back?” She asked pointing again to the almost forgotten Math in her notebook. 

 

The way you play the piano
The sound of your voice, The song you sang

 

Yes, Yujin still remembers it. 

 

Yujin was suddenly woken from her trance – Or more likely nap - by her bandmate poking her cheeks with a drumstick.    

 

“Tomi-ya, why?” She looks up to intimidating woman besides her holding a pair of drumstick who then pointed out to the window. 

    

“You’re deep into sleep you didn’t even notice who arrived.” She smirked. 

 

“By the way-” She picks up the white fluffy cat who’s been circling her ankle. “You’re assigned to look after Sugar today. I’m practicing and she’s been trying to jump on my toms.” 

 

Yujin was about to protest when Hitomi, or Tomi, as she is often called interrupted her. “Zip it. Yujin – beside would you look over to the window.” 

 

Yujin stand up to lean over and Hitomi snickered, “Thank me later.” 

 

True to Hitomi’s words, Yujin will probably thank her later.

From the second floor of their dorm house she saw a woman getting out of a car with boxes of pizza – probably for them. Who knows it may even be from their manager, who is busy with something- erase that someone else at the moment. 

 

The woman waved her hand into the air to call her attention. She’s like in the past still angelic, even more so now than before. Yujin smiled to her. Her dimples showing, eyes disappearing, like an overly eager pup. Everything about this takes her back. 

 

It takes me back to time before When I met you 

    

A gust of wind blew. 

 

“Be careful – Do you need help?” Yujin yelled. 

 

“Ahahaha No need Yujinie.” 

 

Yujin was ready to run to her and help out when another person step out and help with the boxes. She watches her gently remove the stray hairs caused by the wind out of her angel’s face. Yujin curled her lips and force a smile to form. 

 

“Kriesha – its fine.” Yujinie lip read Minjoo’s lips. 

 

Fate was not kind to Yujin. When fate decided to reunite her to her friend Hyewon by work, it effectively reconnected her to her sister. She’s partly glad and partly suffering. Her long standing crush was not even a secret to her band mates. Yujin know she has no right to be jealous and as far as she knows those two are close friend but here she is jealous. 

 

She graced her hand to her notebook and scribbled few more words. Erasing some and rewriting some again – until they are coherent enough for her. 

 

I wish to go back to those days  I’ll change a thing or two I wish I’ve given us a chance

 

In a way she can joke about it now, despite her wish to change something in the past. 

 

Yujin stupidly thought her crush had disappeared but boom –it didn’t. The moment she saw her again she realized she has not move on. Yujin chuckled to herself, funny how she’s writing a song today about that day.

      

She looks up to her bulletin board. There are various things pinned – some from her fans and then that one. Hyewon’s weird- postcard meant to . Who gives their friend a post card with a picture of a neutron star and wrote in white pen the words “The Densest thing in The Universe.” It is a joke that made its way into one of their album much to Hyewon’s bewilderment.   

 

Yujin pick up her guitar and started strumming the chords that made up the song fully intended to record whatever comes out . G…D… She started humming the vague idea of melody till she can sing a few words out. What was she saying earlier – she’s writing the song of today about the story of that day.  

 

Now I’m writing this story,  In a song just for you,  About the chance I let go About the times I missed you Let me sing this song just for you
  The chance I let go.

 

Yujin will be the first to admit she let go of the chance she had back then. Today she’s trying to find her footing, trying to see if she can grasp another chance. She let time go in the past – she’s determined not to do the same. If she is succeeding, that’s up for the debate. 

 

“Yujin. Ahn Yujin! Earth to Yujin!” 

 

Yujin eyed the intrusive presence, “Aye Chaeyeon unnie.” She whined. 

 

The woman let out that -out of this world -laugh she was popular with. “We’ll your too deep into your thought that I was sure you’ve been abducted by aliens. “The older playfully jab her shoulder. “C’mon. They brought food for us. I’m starving.” 

 

“You could have started without me.”

 

“Geez – Yujin she’s helping you.” A sharp voice emerges from another room. 

 

“With what, Chaewo unnie?”

 

Chaewon just rolled her eyes, “If you wont stop being dense, then I’ll just take her myself.” 

 

Yujin was quickly silenced. She realized how much coward she still is. She reaches out for her phone and jotted down random words that is her thoughts.

 

I was a coward in love  Who couldn’t bet on our future   A coward who couldn’t take a chance with you I have so many excuses, don’t I?

 

She followed the bassist and keyboardist towards where the food is.  She awkwardly said hi to their guest. 

 

“Still the shy one behind the cam, Yujin?” Kriesha teased. 

 

Yujin nodded in return. She joined her band mates in the table, sitting between the lovebirds of Yuri and Yena and the Chaes.  

 

“Here, Yujin.” Minjoo got her a slice of pizza to her plate, much to the older girls giggle. Minjoo didn’t do that to anyone there at all. 

 

“Yujinie! Did you forget to feed Sugar? She almost jump on my drumset again!” Hitomi come rushing down carrying the white long haired cat named Sugar.  

 

“Let’s be clear I don’t hate Sugar.” Hitomi declared. “You know how clingy she is when she’s hungry and someone forgot to feed her.” She looks straight to Yujin’s eyes. 

 

“In my defense-” 

 

“Shut it.” Hitomi sat cross-armed and Sugar, the ever clingy cat, gleefully jumps to her lap.  

 

“Well have you fed her?” Minjoo inquired the newly arrived. 

 

“I tried but she keeps following me.” Hitomi huffed, looking down at the white fluffy cat on her lap. 

 

“Sugar likes you a lot.” Minjoo commented. 

 

“And I like you a lot.” Hitomi grinned.

 

Minjoo is a bit taken a back and blushed. “I mean half of our band has a crush on you. Who wouldn’t though?” The Japanese laugh. “If we confess all at the same time choose me. I’ll get you the best cheeseballs.” She added with a wink. 

 

Yujin watch with agape. She watches Hitomi’s shift from Minjoo to her. Her smile says it all. “That’s how you do it.” The Japanese mouthed. 

 

Yujin just took a bite of her pizza, spilling the sauce on the side of . Minjoo quickly wipe it off of her face. She felt the heat creep up to her cheeks – looking directly at those beautiful brown pools made her uncomfortable. She quickly averted her eyes much to her band mate’s amusement.

 

After they finish their meal, Minjoo excuse herself to get the car ready while Kriesha is still busy talking to Yuri and Yena – things about production and promotions. Yujin watches Minjoo make her way outside. She felt someone hitting her back, beside her Chaeyeon put her arm over her shoulder while Hitomi tried her best to reach her hair – to pat her. 

 

“Take it.” Hitomi whispered and the bassist and drummer then disappeared to their practice room followed by a strutting white cat. 

 

Would she let another chance slip again?

    

Would she be a coward again? No.

She run towards Minjoo’s car, in time the older is about to open th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter