chapter 3

WHISPERS OF HEART

CARA’S POV

By 8 in the morning we reach home. Just when we entered the house Mom was sitting in the hall doing some sort of paper work. We greeted her and went upstairs. Just then she called me from behind “Cara.” To which I replied “Yes mom.” “You don’t seem like both of you have any good sleep last night, do you?” She asked sternly. “umm, actually Mom.” “You both are married I don’t want any explanation. I am happy you guys are getting along.” She said and smiled. She smiled? May be it’s the first time she actually smiled, but she misunderstood. “It’s Sunday let him sleep for few hours. If you want to take a nap too then take a nap and get fresh. Come downstairs before 10, some guests are coming to see Grace.” She replied. “To see Unnie? She agreed?” I asked hesitantly. “Its not your matter of concern. It nothing you young people should mingle with. I am still alive to make decisions.” “But Mom…” I tried to speak. “Enough, If you are energetic enough to argue, come join me in kitchen, no need to take nap. Take breakfast to your room. My son must be hungry.” She said and walked out.

When I reached room Sehun was in bathroom. I sat on the couch, I did not know, what I should do. Last night when Sehun was holding a ring in front of me, Unnie’s husband called. He said he want to meet Unnie. Sehun was too furious at him, but he did not even show his anger to him. But the tears he shed, they were too much for me to handle. They hurt me badly. He could not even sleep a bit last night. On the other hand, the other day, the way Unnie reacted in hospital; she surly won’t agree to marry another person. Sehun came out when I was engrossed in thoughts, I did not notice when he came near me to sit. “Thank you for last night.” He said softly. “Sehun, I have something to tell you.” I faced him with a tensed face. “What is bothering you? Are you feeling unwell?” He became tensed. “It has nothing to do with me.” I replied. “Then…” He asked. “It’s about Unnie.” I looked in his eyes. “I have no right to make decision for her. It’s her life, If she does not want to meet Suho, we can’t force her.” Sehun made a serious face. “Exactly, it’s her life. She has every right to make decision for herself. We can’t force her into another marriage.” I kneel down near him as he was facing ground. “Another marriage?” He looked terrified. “I don’t understand, make it clear.” “Yes another marriage, Mom said some guests are coming to see her.” I replied getting up. “HOW CAN SHE DO IT?” Sehun was furious. “Clam-down, I promise as long as I am here I won’t let Unnie get hurt by someone.” I assured him. “I will go talk to mom.” Sehun said. “No use, I have already tried.” “Then what should I do Cara? I can’t afford see her get hurt again and again.” Sehun was becoming anxious. “Do you trust me?” I asked. “Of course I do.” He said holding my arms. “Then let me deal with it.” I said taking his hand in mine and looking at his eyes, it had so much trust. I can’t let him down.

 

GRACE’S POV

I was going through my marriage album. I missed him so badly, so badly that I feel no pain now. Ever since that day in hospital, there is not a fraction of second I stopped thinking why he called my name? I wanted to accompany him through every good and bad, but WHY THE HELL I DON’T HAVE ANY RIGHT TO ACCOMPANY HIM NOW. All the time I have been dying inside, scolding myself. I always wanted to be a filial daughter, filial wife. But why in the earth I have to choose between two? Did I say choose? I am terribly wrong. I was forced to choose. Why my fate is like this? “Unnie?” Cara knocked the door. I quickly hide the Album inside my bed sheet. “Yes Cara, please come in.” I said opening the door. “I made some sweets; will you taste it for me?” Cara asked. “You could have just called me down stairs, why did you bring them personally?” She asked being polite. “Unnie, that’s because I wanted to talk to my sister, am I not allowed?” I said hugging her. “Of course you are how can I stop a little sister from approaching her Unnie?” She patted my head. “Taste it first.” She gave me a piece. “Why is it hollow?” I said taking bite. “Oh sorry, let put some cream core.” She said taking it from me, after that she filled it with some different creams and applied some flavors. Then let me taste it. “It lacks something, pass me that powder.” I asked her. I put it little then tasted it, “It tastes good now, take a bite.” I showed it to her. “Let me taste it.” Sehun said from the door. “Hmm, take it.” I said him. “Umm, it’s too sweet, couldn’t you put little less sugar?” he asked Cara. “I eat more sweet, so I put little more sugar, according to my taste. Let me make another one for you.” I asked him. “Ok.” He said. “Taste it.” I gave him making another one. “it has no sugar at all.” He made a pout. “Why don’t you make yourself, put that much, how much you want.” Cara said giving him a sweet pouch. “Let’s make together, let’s see who wins.” He said I smiled at his childish behavior. “Okay… I am done.” Cara said. “Me too.” I joined her teasing Sehun. “I am last, but done.” Sehun pouted. “Okay another game; give me yours Unnie and Sehun.” Cara asked, I wondered what these two are up to today. “Who can tell who’s what?” Cara said after switching their position. “You are allowed to taste, Unnie you first.” “It’s so simple.” I tasted it. “Umm it’s so perfect. It’s mine.” I smiled. “Amazing! How did you know?” Cara asked. “That’s because, it suits my taste the best, and it tastes perfect just as I made it.” I explained to them. “Exactly… When the spoon it with us, we can perfectly take as much as we want, is not it?” Sehun asked. “Yes.” I smiled at them. “Then why do you always let others make cake for you? Why don’t you take your spoon in your hand?” Cara said coming near me. “What do you mean Cara?” I ignored her gaze. “Yesterday, Suho called me saying he wants to meet you and today mom is calling some guests over here in after noon to see you. I am giving the spoon on your hand. Make a decision for yourself, whatever you will decide I and Cara are with you. I assure you one thing Unnie; no one will force you this time.” Sehun said but I was not in a position to hear anything. I just want to hide. I want to hide at such a place that no one will be able to find me. But I know mom will find me and make me do whatever she wants. I have no escape now. Tears started flowing down my face, everything seemed dark. I hope I won’t escape from this darkness this time. I hope this darkness is will never fade and I won’t have to see anyone…. “Unnieee…. unieeeee” I heard before hiding into the darkness.

 

CARA’S POV

“Why is she not waking up?” Sehun was being anxious again. “Dr. Yang is checking, she will be awake soon… don’t worry.” I tried to sooth him.

“It’s already 3 hours, why is it taking so long?” Mom said getting tensed. “Drink some water mom, unnie will be okay.” I said giving her a glass of water. “How is she Yang?” Sehun asked as soon as Dr. Yang came out. “She will wake up soon. She is taking too much tension. Take care of her. Don’t make her take stress. Hun, I have written the medicines, bring them and let her take good rest.” Dr. Yang said before leaving. Sehun went to bring medicines.

“Did you tell her about the guests I mentioned in morning?” Mom asked coming near me. “Yes, I did.” I replied slowly. “WHO ASKED YOU TO TELL HER? WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? JUST BECAUSE SEHUN TREATS YOU WELL DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE ALL RIGHTS TO PLAY WITH MY CHILDRENS’ LIFE? YOU ARE THE ONLY DAUGHTER IN LAW IN THIS HOUSE, YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITIES TO MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY. BUT YOU ARE INCAPABLE. I TOLERATED THAT. I TOLERATED THAT YOU ARE MAKING MY SON YOUR PUPPET, THE BOY LIKE HIM WHO NEVER SAW ANY GIRL WITH EYES RISED, NOW HE DARES TO SAY LIES AND SNEAK OUT FROM HOUSE JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY? HE IS BECOMING BLIND JUST TELL ME WHAT DID YOU DO TO GET SUCH TREATMENT FROM HIM?” Mom said taking steps towards me. “You are no one to ask that.” Grand mom came to my rescue. “Whatever her husband does for him is none of your business. As for Grace, this time I won’t let you decide for her.” Grand mom said sternly. “All I want is my children’s happiness. I can’t let anybody spoil my children’s life.” Mom said in a low tone. “SHE IS NOT AN ANYBODY” Grand mom yelled at her before taking me with her.

“Stop acting tough. You can cry.” Grand mom said me after taking me to her room. I was unable to react. My body stiffed. After coming to this house I always tried my best to treat everyone well, but I failed. In my entire life I could never prove myself filial to any relationship. I am just a waste. I looked the ring Sehun gave me yesterday. Do I deserve him? Mom was right, what did I do for Sehun till today. He was always been so nice to me. I even could not carry out my duties as a wife. But all I did for the sake of Unnie’s happiness. “Why are so silent my child? Don’t scare me beta, please speak something.” Grand mom shook me. “I have to check on unnie, she will be alone.”I said as I excuse myself to unnie’s room. Unnie was still unconscious. I went to the bath room to wash my face. Watching the mirror I felt a ping of pain inside my heart. All I felt was I am so ugly. “S…UU..HHHOOOOO” I listened Unnie’s voice I ran to her. “Unnie….unieee” I called her hold her hand tightly. “N…OOO NOO… don’t… don’tttt pleaseeee…” she was covered with sweat… was she having a nightmare? Sehun entered the room, he ran to unnie. “unnie… don’t worry, he won’t able to hurt you.. no one will hurt you this time. Its my promise.” Unnie opened her eyes slowly. She was shivering. “Se…hu…n… Ca..ra..a, I won’t marry any one. I can’t give Suho’s place to anyone. I won’t… promise me you won’t let mom force me.”Unnie said with tears in her eyes. “I promise you unnie, I will do whatever it takes to give you the happiness you deserve.”Sehun said before hugging her. She cried on her arms, I could not stop my tears either.

 

Sehun’s phone rang just when he was feeding Unnie. I saw the caller I’d named ‘Suho.’ “Who is it?” Sehun asked. “Just a unknown number.” I dare not to say his name before Unnie. “Take the call, it might be important.” Unnie said. “Let me feed you then.” I said giving Sehun his phone, whose eyes opened a bit larger seeing Suho’s name. “Is not it Suho?” Unnie asked after taking a spoonful of rice. “Umm...umm” I was unable to speak something. “Both of your face spoke that.” She smiled tightly. “Do you want to meet him?” I asked. “I don’t know, Cara. I don’t want to get hurt again. But…” she stopped. “Will you regret it if you don’t meet him?” I asked to which she nodded. “What if he will force me to get married to another man?” she looked at me sadly. “I and your brother have promised you, you and only you will be the decision maker of yours. If you decide to meet him, make yourself clear that, you won’t do anything under his pressure. Okay?” I said her to which she nodded.

“Sehun, I want his number.” Unnie said as Sehun entered the room. “But Unnie?” Sehun was not sure how to react. “You don’t need to worry, I know what to do. Okay?” Unnie said holding his hand and he nodded. “You guys should go back and have some rest, it’s already evening. I will take care and will call you if I need anything.” Unnie smiled at us, I hope her smile never feds.

“Do you need coffee?” I asked Sehun as I reached our room. “Are you calling me on coffee date?” Sehun winked. “Stop acting childish. I have a lot works to do, I will take leave.” I said as I went out.

When I went out I saw mom was sitting on the couch holding her fore head. I thought twice before asking “Mom; are you having a head ache?” she looked at me with confused eyes first then nodded. “Let me make a ginger tea for you then.” I said to which she replied “No need.”

“Do you want me to give a head massage?” I asked to which she stood up and held my hand. “Are not you angry?” she asked, I did not reply anything. “If you won’t stand up for yourself when you are wronged then how are you going to survive?”She asked making me sit down. “Mom; it’s my family. In a family we need to stand for each other not our selves. I won’t let any outsider to talk to me like that. But you are, you are my Mom. As a mom you have every right to scold me.” I smiled a little. “But I was wrong.” Mom looked down. “See you yourself realized that, in a family, in order to stay one hearted, we need to understand each other. Don’t we?” I asked and she looked at me. “I felt really bad, but I knew you were tensed about Unnie. I felt bad because somehow I failed to do my duty properly.” I said losing hold. “Here if anyone failed then that is me. I never become anything I wanted. Today I feel so small in front of you. I am sorry beta.” Mom said putting her hand on my head. “I forgot now I have 3 children, not two.” She smiled at me. “Mom let me massage your head for you. My mama says I have magic in my hand.” I said standing up. “My head ache is gone, but there is another thing I want your help with.” Mom took my face in her hand. “Yes Mom; tell me.” I smiled at her, today I feel like I am talking to my dad. I always wanted to create a bond with my dad, but I never could. I know Mom said those things and it was wrong, but forgiving someone is the key of internal happiness. If by forgiving her I could create a bond within us. Then it’s worth it. My mama always taught me that, for a daughter in law the most important work is to hold family together. “I want you to bring happiness back to my Grace. Can you do that?” she asked with hopes in her eyes. “I also want Unnie to be happy, but now she is weak, we need to give her time. But this time we must respect her decision.” I hold her hand. “Are you saying that, I will allow her to cry over a blind person all her life?” Mom’s face became serious. “No, she will not cry any more. She deserve to be happy, she will be happy.” I assured her.

After making dinner I took Unnie’s and my dinner to her room, Sehun, mom, grand mom eat in the hall.

“I did not call him yet.” Unnie said after finishing her meal. “It’s okay. Take time, think carefully. No need to hurry.” I assured her. “What if mom against start searching for groom?” she asked in a low voice. “She won’t, don’t make decision under pressure. Just think what you want.” I said her. “What I want?” she smiled sadly. “Even if you ask me when I am in sleep, what I want, the answer will be Suho. But I don’t have enough courage to face him, let alone stand with him.” She said as she searched for something under her bed sheet. “It’s my marriage album. See our picture.” She showed me her picture in which Suho brother is holding her hand. “You look beautiful.” I commented. “Because I was with him.” She said smiling. “No, because you were happy.” I said when she looked at me. “Suho was the happiness, mom gave me and snatched from me too.” She whispered. “Then this time, choose your happiness yourself, so that no one will be able to snatch it from you.” She hugged me. “Go have rest now.” She said breaking the hug.

I went to our room, Sehun was nowhere to found. I searched the study, the balcony I found him nowhere. I dialed his number to find his phone on the couch. He saved my number as “My little one <3<3<3” why is he so good? Breaking all my thoughts I hear a sound of plate striking ground sound from kitchen, I ran towards it to find Sehun’s hand burned badly. “What are you doing, god what happened, if you needed anything you can simply ask me right?” I put his hand under tap. “I was making some steamed cake for you.” He smiled showing his teeth. “STOP DOING THINGS FOR ME, PLEASE. Please don’t hurt yourself for me. I already owe many things to you. Don’t do such things, I FEEL SUFFOCATED BECAUSE ….. just don’t hurt yourself any more for me, please.” I said as I left the kitchen with teary eyes.