chapter 20

WHISPERS OF HEART

Sehun plugged in earplugs to here the pianist, he call his love of life. He kept watching videos one by one. He didn't even realise when he had watched all of it. He moved to the audio files and started playing one...then another.... Then another.  He loved the delicacy of Cara's touch over the piano, at a point he was even jealous of it. 
Among the voice notes, one was named as 'Ends are not always beautiful...' it caught Sehun's eye. He opened the file to see a voice note inside. 

He clicked on it and something in him broke as soon as he started hearing it. He could feel all the sadness flowing out of the voice he heard, it was no other than his beloved. 

Sorry, I am leaving you behind, for someone I don't even know. 
Although, I wish otherwise , but I won't be able to fight anymore... Today may be for the last time,i will touch you. Let's celebrate our last song together....

Sehun was no musician, but he knew music, from the way the music was being played he knew Cara must be cycling through the notes C, A♭, B♭ , F  and G.

The overall pitch was very low, pitch range was narrow, tempo was slower, she was using the minor mode, dull and dark timbres, softer and lower sound levels, legato articulation, and less energetic execution. She was pouring the sadness out in the music. She was a brilliant pianist but the piano seemed to weep in sorrow. She wasn't just playing it, they seem connected and were weeping together, perhaps.

 All of it broke Sehun's heart, why was she so sad, he wondered countless times? But what happened next broke Sehun apart. 

You deserve to know why I am leaving you,  don't you? It's because of a ridiculous marriage proposal. The last thing I wanted for me was an unwanted marriage, how badly I wish if papa could understand me at least once ,Kai...  I will miss you. I hate to say it but it was until then.

A rash sound from piano came along with a long press.

Sehun felt numb... Just numb.


Sehun wasn't numb anymore as the sun rose. Rather he was sad and angry. From corner of his eyes, he watched Cara. Suddenly she felt distant and foreign. He questioned himself did he actually know her?  He wasn't sure. He got ready and went out before she woke up. Sehun needed some space. 

Cara wake up to find herself alone in the room. At first she thought he might be in shower. 

She dialed his number, he was unreachable. 

She went in the garage and saw his car wasn't there either. She kept on dailing his number and he was still out of reach. 

"Where did he go?" Grace asked from behind. 

"He didn't even tell me plus his phone is out of reach. I am worried unnie." Cara sounded worried indeed. 

"It's weird, he never does something like that. May be something urgent came up at work." Grace said being worried as well. 

"That could be the case." Cara said in agreement. 

Cara got ready for the office, she was going to go out of town regarding the ceramic project. She was organizing a competition among the college student, for the opening project. It would be a great opportunity for the students and it would be economical for her. She hoped she finds some talents there. 

Before getting into the car, she dialed Sehun's number again. It was not available either. She didn't even have his office's number. 

"Where are you?" She texted him. 


"Did you forget to charge your phone." She was worried will be an understatement. 

She didn't want to go to work, but she knew she has to. They had to go to the workshop, which was out of town. She can't cancel the plan, it's not only about her emotions, everyone's efforts are involved in it. Keeping aside her thoughts and phone, she asked the driver to drive. It took her less than an hour to reach there. Before getting out she texted him again, asking for his whereabouts. 

Cold breeze kept drying Sehun's face, and nothing felt right. Sea wasn't peaceful today. Rise and fall of tides, seem to . He did not feel well. Although it was 7 in the morning and he already showered at home, he wanted to go for a swim. Hoping water will wash away all his insecurities, he jumped in. He indeed felt a little better after a while, sea has been his healer since long. 

 

She got busy as soon as she got there. She didn't even get to have lunch. It was late in the afternoon and She checked her phone  expecting any replies from Sehun. Just then she saw there was a text from Grace from 4 hours ago. 

"Sehun called, he had some work so he rushed office in the morning, don't worry he is okay."

It was a lie, she knew. As there was no replies  from Sehun until noon. She searched for his company website and got their contact info,during the lunch break. She called there and heard Sehun was absent today. She felt anxious. Many negative thoughts clouded her mind. After seeing Grace's text, she knew something wasn't right. Why would Sehun lie? Why would he call Grace but didn't reply to her texts, it would be a lie if she says, she didn't feel hurt. She did, but something else was more important than her feelings now, it was to talk to Sehun. Although she was thankful that Sehun was safe and sound, but she won't stop feeling restless until she sees him with her own eyes. When she asked herself where could he be? There was only one place, Cara could think up now. She took the key from the driver and asked him to go and got into the driver seat. 


The pinkish glow, with a slightly reddish shade brushed over it. The sky looked breathtaking. Much better than the rising sun did. Sehun looked at the water, the smell of sea, calmed him, like it always did. 

It was almost time, he had to go the repairing shop to fetch his phone, thanks to the sea bath he gave it, while he went for swimming in the morning. Sehun stood up after a long breath, taking in the scent of sea, but why did it suddenly smell like Cara? 

"Thank God, I found you." He heard Cara's voice from behind. Before he could turn, Cara hugged him from behind. She said nothing, she just stayed there silently hugging her love of life. Sehun could not move either, he felt both comfortable and uncomfortable under that hug. 


After a while both of them sat down under the rising moon, the silence started to get uncomfortable.

Cara tuned and look at Sehun, right in his eyes, it was a little uncomfortable for Sehun. 

"Sorry....  I.... I..." Sehun broke the silence. 

"It's okay, everyone needs space once in a while, nothing is wrong with that... It's just that... I was just a bit worried...cause your phone was also off." Cara said still looking at him. 

"It got wet" , Sehun said like explaining.
"when I went ....swimming." he added. 
" I am sorry." Sehun said looking anywhere but at Cara. 

"You should be sorry, you didn't see my text or replied all day, I was scared." Cara said smiling and tilting her head to look at him precisely.

"Ikr I should have been a little more careful. I only remembered land-line number of home, so I called and talked to unnie from the repairing shop, I am sorry for worrying you. " Sehun said his head still down. 

"We really should remember each others number. What if I lose you for real? I don't even want to think about it." Sehun unknowingly looked at her, in her eyes. Cara's smile looked a little sad, then she placed a kiss on Sehun's hand and held his hands tightly. 

Sehun said nothing but looked at where their hands were touching, the kiss from her ignited a hope in him, may be just may be, he should follow his heart. Smile automatically came to him. 

"I am being serious here. I dare you to ghost me again." Cara said almost like a warning. Before she could finish the line, Sehun just held her in his arms, tightly. 


"Hunnie...." Cara called.

Sehun's looked at her. Her eyes were glossy. 

"You know what? I was just acting look until now, I was really really scared. Don't leave me, please." She said and a drop of tear fall down from her eyes. 

"I am scared too, all I want is you and your happiness. I can't sit by and watch your tears, your tears tear me apart. I... I... Love you babe. More than I can imagine, more than the sea, the sun set and wind, I love you to the extent that I am going mad. I love you like that." all these words came out of Sehun, as if he practiced them thousands of times. He wasn't unsure either, he was so so sure that he loves her more than anything and if she is willing to give them chance, he will make sure she becomes happy, he will make sure, she didn't have to sacrifice anything to be with him. He will make sure, she does everything she loves to do. He will make sure to fall in love with her head over heels. 

"I won't tell you how much love I have for you, even if try, I won't be able to. Will you be able to read my eyes? Do you know how to do that?"