Emotion

Songs We're Singing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Emotion- Mamamoo

 

 Irene woke up the next morning a little lighter than other days. She was up before Wendy and decided to make a trip to the Mess Hall before her roommate woke up. The same path from the night before was now illuminated and she couldn’t help the shy smile that appeared. It seemed like a distant dream. Something she couldn’t quite grasp fully just yet. 

 

The Mess Hall wasn’t packed with kids just yet. It seems that everyone was still sleeping or preparing their bags for departure. She picked up a fresh cup of hot chocolate and debated what to grab Wendy. 

 

“You should get her an iced coffee with the works.” 

 

“OH MY GOSH!” Irene nearly spilled her drink with how high she jumped. Before stood Coach Kwon with a casual smile on her before she turned to their camp barista and requested that iced coffee. “I was going to pay for this Coach.” 

 

“Oh, I don’t doubt that Irene. Let me take this though.” Coach Kwon reached down and planted a slice of the banana loaf into Irene’s hands. “What would you like?” Irene reached for a chocolate croissant before muttering a thank you. “Don’t mention it! Anything for my daughter-in-law!” Irene grew redder at Yuri’s comments. “I do hope I see more of you after this Irene. I will be back home at the start of October. I’ll have my daughter invite her girlfriend then.” She gave Irene a wink before handing her Wendy’s coffee and walking away. Irene stood a bit stunned but with a sort of smile on her face. Her (almost) girlfriend’s mom seemed to not HATE her so she was going to take it as a potential win. It took her all of two steps before she was once again stopped. 

 

“Don’t you look pleased. What’s up, you get Coach Kwon to pardon our conditioning for next year’s camp week?” Jennie said. Irene watched her take a sip of her hot drink as she waited for an answer. “What’s with the drinks and food? You hate coffee.” 

 

Irene gave her a stoic look to hide the internal panic. She weighed out her options, telling Jennie that she had finally made a move on Wendy… or keep the information to herself until they had an official date under their belt. “Wendy walked me back last night so I am… thanking her….” 

 

“You share the cabin you ding dong, she was probably walking the same way.” Irene felt her expression shift to a sharper look and, by the way Jennie raised her brow, she saw it too. “Relax. You are looking at me like I am three seconds from scooping her out of your sights.” Irene felt her eye narrow slightly at the thought. “I was just kidding anyway. We both know you are beyond into her at this point. At least you finally quit the bully act.” 

 

“Are we done here?” Irene gritted out. Jennie gave her a small smile and nodded before moving out of her way. Irene could feel her ears twinged with red at the anger that coursed through her. Jennie had some gall to call her out on her act. And to draw suspicion to Irene for trying to be kinder now. And what did she mean that she knew Irene had feelings for Wendy? She kept that so well hidden that-

 

“Hey!” Irene snapped out of her rant to see Wendy outside of their shared cabin. She was still in her pajamas, only covered by a robe and slippers. Irene threw her a questioning look before Wendy glanced down and laughed. “Right, I kinda saw you were missing and thought you had a panic over yesterday and ran away again.”

 

“Oh,” Irene said with a blush to her cheeks. “No running… I just went to grab breakfast so we could eat here.” Wendy gave her a full smile before they both headed back into the cabin. Irene passed Wendy her treats before she sat and took a sip of her own hot chocolate. “So, what were you planning to say to me?” 

 

Wendy looked up from her coffee with wide eyes. “I hadn’t thought that far, I would’ve probably come up with something on the run there… maybe just throw you over my shoulder and carry you back here.” Irene couldn’t help the laugh that escaped her, causing Wendy to gasp at the reaction. “I will have you know Irene that I could totally throw you over my shoulder! I am totally strong.”

 

“I am sure you are,” Irene laughed. Wendy gave her a pout before taking a bite of her bread. “Your mother paid for this, said she’d love to see more of me and to remind you to invite your girlfriend over when she returns in October.” 

 

Wendy started choking on her coffee at Irene’s reminder, “Right. She did uhh mention that once or twice…” 

 

“Well, considering we are going on a date, I hope you don’t have any underlying competition…”

 

“I mean really it’s anyone’s game,” Wendy said offhandedly. Irene gave her glare that seemed to evoke a smile out of Wendy. “I'm kidding, there is only you.”

 

“Well good,” Irene said, setting her drink down, “Despite my many appealing qualities, I happen to be very elusive.”

 

“Well, I always figured you had more to you than just your milkshake preferences.” Irene rolled her eyes at Wendy’s playfulness. “Besides, I totally thought you had a thing for me.” 

 

“You did not!” Irene said with a laugh. 

 

“Okay I didn’t,” Wendy said with a smile and a turn of her head. “But I was really hoping you did.” 

 

~~~

 

The rest of the morning went smoothly since both girls were so keen on finding out more about the other. It wasn’t until the bus came and they had to go back to their seats that Wendy and Irene seemed to be struggling on whether to sit together or not. In the end, they threw caution to the wind and took up the front seats. 

 

“I’ll see you in two weeks my darling daughter!” Yuri yelled out as the bus came to life. Wendy gave her a nod and Irene waved goodbye. “You too Miss Bae.” Wendy turned to Irene who had a shy smile as she rested back down. The calm of the bus seemed like a great sign, the ride out of the city was going smoothly, no one seemed to care that the Ice Queen and her favorite victim seemed to suddenly bury whatever hatchet had caused them to dislike each other in the beginning. It wasn’t until the bus hit the middle of the first interstate that the whispers began to circulate. Wendy seemed entranced by whatever she was listening too and paid no mind to the murmurs of the kids behind them. 

 

“Why is Wendy sitting with the Ice Queen?” 

 

“Maybe she paid her?”

 

“Oh! What if Irene is just trying to set her up for another milkshake bomb like last year!”

 

“I wouldn’t put it past her.”

 

It went on in not so subtle whispers and all Irene could do was huddle her knees to her chest. She shut her eyes when suddenly a pair of earphones were placed on her. Wendy gave her a soft smile as she reached for Irene's phone and requested she unlock it. After a few scrolls, a satisfied smile came onto Wendy’s face as she handed Irene her phone again with the same song Wendy was listening to. 

 

“Listen to this with me?” Wendy asked her softly. Suddenly, the familiar chords of last night’s song came through her ears and she felt herself blush deeply. “You don’t have to listen to them, they don’t need to know what we are. That is just for us to figure out you know.” 

 

Irene gave her an appreciative nod. “You don’t mind sitting with the Ice Queen then?” 

 

Wendy let out a light laugh before resting her head against the seat and shutting her eyes. “I happen to love  Frozen, Irene. The cold never bothered me anyway.” 

 

Irene let out a small laugh before Wendy opened one of her eyes to look at her and shoot her a smile. Irene gave Wendy a soft smile of her own. She began to relax back into her seat when she felt Wendy’s hand reach for hers underneath her blanket. Irene felt her smile widen as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter