Chasing Cars

Songs We're Singing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chasing Cars- Snow Patrol

 

Irene looked at the boy on the other end of the room trying her hardest to try and remember him from… well anywhere. She racked her brain long enough before realizing who he actually was. “You are the guy who joined us in broadcasting last year.” He smiled widely at her before walking over. The closer he got, the more she shifted closer to Wendy who was beside her. 

 

“You do remember me!” His excited smile only got bigger as he was now in front of her. “I knew you would! You were always so funny and kind at the recordings! When you didn’t show up this year I was so upset. I thought they had replaced you with that awful-” 

 

“Oh. I didn’t like it anymore.” Irene moved a bit behind Wendy when she realized he was leaning closer.

 

“It doesn’t matter, I was so glad to see you here! You are the best surprise I could have gotten after our trip!” Bogum reached forward but was smacked away by Wendy. He gave her a glare and stood up straight again. “If I recall correctly, you don’t have any business with Irene Bae.” 

 

“I’ll do what I want Bogum, and she doesn’t want you near her, don’t you see her BEHIND me.” Wendy bit back. Irene moved closer to Wendy as she gripped onto her shirt. She could feel just how tense the other girl was. 

 

“I just assumed she would pull another milkshake shower on you Son,” he said. He gave a chuckle before crossing her arms. “Wasn’t that why everyone called you Strawberry Shortcake?” He looked back to Irene, “It was strawberry, right?”

 

Irene sighed as she released Wendy. “It was strawberry,” Irene said as she moved in front of Wendy. She got closer to Bogum, the anger seeping out of her. He sensed she was unhappy because his smile faltered slightly. “And I will tell you what I told the other side of the school when I walked away that day. That milkshake was a claim. No one touches her, berates her, or harms her. She belongs to me.” Bogum gulped as Irene backed down from her tippy toes. “That includes you too. Don’t insult Wendy, because I won’t like it. The claim stands. And if the football team was too scared to defy me, I highly doubt anyone else would.” 

 

The room was stunned silent, including Bogum who merely lifted his brow. He gave a smirk and nod before backing up to his seat. “Alright…” Advisor Kim said as she stood up with a cup full of popsicle sticks. “I know that was… intense, but the show must go on! Wendy, Irene, please sit.” 

Irene felt a hand tug her sleeve to sit down, it seemed that Sejeong had moved over and now she had the empty chair right beside Wendy. Irene sat down with a stoic expression, unsure of how Wendy truly felt about the milkshake revelation. Her eyes shifted over to the girl in question, it seemed that she felt Irene’s sly stare because she patted her thigh before giving a ghost of a smile. Irene could see the slight nervousness of Wendy’s actions just smiled before sitting down on her lap. She could feel Wendy pull her closer and out of Bogum’s sight. 

 

 “So everyone, the Halloween Dance is fast approaching!” Advisor Kim exclaimed. 

 

“And we are performing,” Yeri said with a bored tone. 

 

“Yes!” replied Advisor Kim. “We are going to be splitting into two teams! You can draw a popsicle stick that will tell you whether you are a… drumroll please Michael! A vampire or werewolf. “

 

“Wow Advisor Kim must have gone on a twilight binge this week,” Joy said with a big laugh. Advisor Kim gave her a hearty but shy nod in acknowledgment. 

 

The cup went around the twenty-four members, each wondering who they would get partnered with. “Wolves!” It was Bogum who stood, “Join me my pack!” Some people began to shuffle about, including Sejeong. 

 

“Guess we are on opposite teams guys!” The other girls all gave her a sad smile before Sejeong bounced over beside Jackson, one of the returning juniors and a total sweetheart. 

 

“You think that was her date?” Joy asked the other girls who all gave a shrug. “I hope so, the guy is a dork but he is sweet.” She gave a look at the group of people around her and gave a smirk. “Wow aren’t we a hot group? Well except Wendy’s chunky sweater… ever think of turning the volume up?” 

 

“Joy-” Irene said with a warning tone. 

 

“Turning it up how?” Wendy asked cutting Irene off. 

 

“Oh, you’ll see Wendy Son.” Joy looked to everyone else. “I know what our theme is guys.” Before anyone could ask what she came up with, Joy rushed to Advisor Kim and whispered it to her. Everyone saw Advisor Kim’s swift and excited nods as she okay’ ed the idea. 

 

“What is it?” Seulgi asked when Joy skipped back over. 

 

“We are going to be… y.” 

 

~~~

Joy’s lack of innovative thinking had gotten the stamp of approval from Advisor Kim so the y vampire theme was going to be upheld. It also led to Joy talking Wendy into potential makeover discussions. And since the goal is to ‘Wow Irene’ she is unable to take part in any makeover talk, and Joy can talk. A lot. So the rest of the week and weekend were spent with very scattered conversations with Wendy and it was starting to take a toll on Irene’s good mood. 

 

Yet when Wendy pouted her way into their History class Monday morning, Irene couldn’t help but gush at her cute expression. They were in history and after a swift glance at Wendy’s seatmate, Irene had now taken the girl’s place. The blank look she usually wore was threatened by a squeal and smile that came from the adorable sight of an exhausted and frustrated Wendy Son. 

 

“Why does this pout have Joy written all over it?” Irene said softly. Wendy gave her a look of annoyance confirming her suspicions. “What did she do?” 

 

With a loud sigh, Wendy rubbed her eyes as a means to itch them. “She invited herself over for a sleepover and basically eradicated half my closet! She said that some of the clothes, and I quote ‘were better suited for a twelve-year-old, NOT a mature woman.’ So now she wants to go shopping and all she said was that it would have to be closer to Halloween. So I am working with half a closet now!”

 

“And your mother is just going to let you go on a spree?” 

 

“Oh please, without Mama here Mom will let me buy the entire mall. The woman adores shopping. Krystal and Mom go on weekend vacations to countries to find more clothes.” Wendy gave another grunt before finally just reaching into her bag and pulling out a pair of glasses. She put them on and Irene had never felt her body just freeze at a sight so quickly. “What?” Wendy asked when she noticed Irene sitting eerily still. “No jokes on the specs Irene, my eyes are dry from staying up from the closet raid that I couldn’t put contacts in.” 

 

Irene shook her head, “No I wasn’t going to tease you.” The blank stare she gave Wendy shifted to her paper as she looked straight at it not moving. “But now I can’t look at you and not want to smile. You look cute.” Irene felt her cheeks heat as she picked up her pencil to write down the notes on the board. She was hoping she didn’t weird Wendy out too much with her quiet confession. 

 

Suddenly she heard a clear of the throat and a pen being picked up before Wendy quietly muttered, “You may just be the death of me.” 

 

Irene tried with every bone of her body to keep her hands in place, but with every tiny yawn and sleepy blink she naturally leaned her fingers over and began to draw lazy patterns on Wendy’s palm. It seemed to be welcomed as Wendy stretched her hand out to give Irene a wider canvas. The small amount of contact was enough to want Wendy to be within her grasp at any given time. The day dragged as Irene spent the next two classes trying a failing on soothing Wendy with her hold. 

 

By lunch Irene called in a favor and had two drinks from the cafe brought to her, one coffee and one regular hot chocolate. She travelled to the table to find the entire Vampire team sitting together before she took the spot across from Wendy. 

 

“Advisor Kim that we have to submit ballad song ideas today,” Solar said as she sat with the rest of the Vampire team. 

 

“Does this vampire mean I have to dress like one for the dance?” Jennie asked. The original glee members all nodded. “A y vampire… there are worse things.” 

 

“Well, that is our big project. We have half a setlist to come up wit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter