One Last Time

Songs We're Singing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Update 3/3 Make sure to catch Fearless and Confession Song before you start this one!

Irene and Yeri arrived home late after school was done the next day. But as the two walked into the door, discussing the reasons why Taeyeon and Tiffany had canceled their glee meeting, the last people they expected to see awaiting for them were the very people who they had just been talking about. 

 

“You’re home!” Tiffany exclaimed with a happy expression. “Tae and I have been dying to show you guys Yeri’s room!” 

 

Irene smiled at the way that her sister and her wife seemed to be buzzing around the excitement of their daughter’s newest room. They led the way upstairs, rushing past the two girls before they opened the door and gestured them inside. Irene was floored but just how much the room screamed ‘Yeri’ to her. The walls were a light purple, lavender smelling, and with the pictures of Yeri as a child that Taeyeon had coerced from Yeri’s previous guardians. Those along with some of the pictures from Seulgi and Wendy adorned the walls of the room, the biggest framed picture  being one of Yeri, Tiffany, and Taeyeon the day Sooyoung had confirmed that their adoption went through. 

 

“Oh wow,” Yeri said quietly. Irene could see just how overwhelmed the girl seemed to be by the gesture. Her closet was full, her desk had a new computer, her old instruments all organized and a set of keys and credit cards laying in a bowl for whenever she needed them. “I-I’ve never had a room like this…” 

 

“Well,” Taeyeon began with a smile, “We wanted you to know that we are not the same as those mediocre people who used to raise you. We love you no less than any child we could’ve had ourselves. I was always fond of you before and now you are our daughter.” 

 

“We love you Yermie,” Tiffany added, clutching the young girl's shoulders. “You and Irene are the most important people to Tae and I.” 

 

Irene could hear the sniffles that Yeri was trying hard to get under control. “What about Sin B,” Yeri reminded Tiffany with a watery laugh.

 

“I love my sister,” Tiffany rolled her eyes. “But she has been with a loving family her entire life. My aunt adores that girl and had  very much claimed her as her child. And I didn’t get it for a while, until I met you. You are my child Yermie. I know it was quick but I know that Tae and I will do everything in our power to love and support you.” 

 

Irene could feel the stinging in her eyes, Tiffany and Taeyeon’s small but powerful declaration of love was enough to even bring tears to her eyes. She saw the three huddle up together, like a true family and decided to take a picture for them before she shuffled out of the room. 

 

It had been a wild and short road in getting Yeri out of her previous situation, one that Irene had never even imagined would lead to her sister and Tiffany taking on the role of mothers to a teenager. But Irene knew that when Yeri had met Tiffany, and been honest with Taeyeon, that the two had felt their maternal instincts kick in. Both had only ever known maternal love in alternative ways, what with Taeyeon only knowing her stepmother as her mother figure, and Tiffany losing hers when she was taken abroad. Irene knew that if anyone could understand a complex teen like Yeri, it would be her two new mothers. 

 

“Irene?” a meek voice asked at the entrance of her room. Irene turned to see a shy and slightly swollen Yeri at the foot of the door. Irene smiled and gestured for her to come in before he sat on her bed, waiting for Yeri to continue. “I just- I wanted to say thank you.” Irene could feel the confusion infiltrate her face because Yeri gave her a shy smile before explaining. “You gave me a life that I only ever dreamed of. I know you think you didn’t, but you persisted and told me to get help. You offered me your home and your family and your care and I don’t think I could ever repay you for giving me my mothers.”

 

“Oh Yeri,” Irene cooed, “You were their missing piece. I wouldn’t want anyone else to be niece.”

 

“I appreciate that…” Yeri said with a smile before frowning, “I am still not calling you Aunt though.” 

 

“Seriously??” Irene fake whined. “Just once?”

 

“No,” Yeri said firmly. 

 

“Girls!” Tiffany shouted from the stairs. It took two seconds before she and Taeyeon popped their heads into Irene’s room. “Dinner is ready.” 

 

Irene could see Yeri give her an eye roll before smiling at the two ladies in the doorway. “Coming mama.” It was so seamless that Irene almost didn’t understand the significance of what Yeri said. But the look of utter joy and the tears in Tiffany’s eyes was enough to really set in how much Tiffany appreciated what Yeri had called her. The usually loquacious woman was at a loss for words. Yeri side stepped past her before looking at a stunned Taeyeon. “Come on mom, I want to see what’s for dinner.” 

 

Irene could tell that her sister was now just as speechless as her wife, both of whom were sporting fresh tears in their eyes from the moment that seemed to have passed in a matter of seconds. Snapping another picture of the stunned wives, Irene also sidestepped them before following her new niece to the kitchen. 

 

~~~

 

The livened spirit of the Kim-Hwang-Bae household was at a record high that week. While Irene had a lot of cheer practice stuff to discuss with Coach Kwon, it seemed that her very cute and recently very pouty girlfriend had just as much to discuss with their glee club advisors. They only seemed to have time to see each other during their practices and whatever few classes they shared throughout the day. Even their morning commute was more boisterous now that Yeri, Seulgi and Joy joined them for their morning coffee runs. It seemed like the three day sleep over last weekend was supposed to keep them content as life seemed to constantly keep the girls just out of reach from each other. 

 

Come Friday, Irene didn’t even have the luxury of driving Wendy to school, apparently roped into getting her ride from her mom that morning for whatever reason. It seemed to only add to the suspicion as Coach Kwon postponed their after school practice, citing that she had an engagement to attend to. Her sister and Tiffany had also been muttering in hushed tones for the past couple of days, all leading to discussions about Friday and was to transpire during glee. 

 

Yet at the very beginning of the class, their advisors were nowhere to be found, seemingly missing from their scheduled meet time. Irene was leaning onto Wendy’s shoulder, who had her head resting on Irene’s own, mindlessly playing with each other’s hands and trying desperately to stay away when suddenly her sister and Tiffany walked in, sporting wide smiles and a list. 

 

“Happy Friday everyone!” Tiffany said with a bright smile. The class muttered a hello in return. “Now we have some serious training to do until Regionals, and as Advisor Kim has informed me, we need a little boost.” Everyone looked at each other with a questioning gaze. “I don’t know if you’ve noticed but we have lost some members as of late, and so we need to ensure that we fill their absence.”

 

“We lost Boredom, Pretty Boy, and their groupies,” Yeri scoffed. “Frankly we are probably better off without them. We actually like the rest of the people in here.” 

 

“Nevertheless,” Taeyeon said with a laugh. “We have invited some guests to help us out until regionals. So without further ado!”

 

“Oh, this is our cue! GET IN HERE!” yelled out a familiar voice. Irene gasped when Ms. Choi walked in with everyone that was at the barbeque from the weekend. Yeri, Jo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter