Imagine

Songs We're Singing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Imagine- Ariana Grande)

 

 FRESHMAN YEAR

 

It wasn’t everyday that their school had a mid-year transfer strolling through the school halls next to one of Irene’s cheerleading teammates, but as she peered over the corner it seemed Seulgi was giving a very detailed tour to the new girl. What was even more peculiar was just why Irene felt the sudden urge to look down the hall to catch a better glimpse of the fluffy cheeked girl that was tailing Seulgi. “So, the cafeteria is through there, this is the home economics hall and science labs are down that way. Now if you keep going down the hall you’ll reach the locker rooms but I would recommend keeping your distance since you didn’t decide to join the cheer team.” 

 

“Are they mean or something?” the new girl asked. Irene could finally see more than just the girl’s appealing backside. The new girl was just about her own height, brown hair, pinchable cheeks and big round eyes. Her face framed by the blunt bangs she had. 

 

“They aren’t particularly fond of anyone who is in glee. They heard about you joining in the summer and how you helped us pass the summer vocational. In their eyes, you are now public enemy number one.” Seulgi explained with a sad smile.

 

 Irene gave a silent scoff. This was not the way to get a new recruit. Surely she could come up with a way to talk the girl into trying out mid year. Truth be told, Irene did see the girl at the summer show,  she went to support the few people in the club she could genuinely stand, the girl’s voice incredible. What really had Irene smitten was how the girl willingly gave Irene her sweater after they had bumped into each other and spilled Irene’s iced tea all over herself. Was she dumb struck at just how adorable and nervous the stranger was? Possibly… but maybe if she intercepted the unknown girl’s decision to join glee instead of cheer she might just get the chance to talk to her more.

 

“I’m sure they can’t be too bad right? You said that you are their friend so maybe I just need to be nice is all!” The new girl gave Seulgi a confident smile. Irene could feel her eyes narrow in distaste.  

 

“Irene?” Irene turned to see two more cheerleaders approach her. Nayeon and Jennie looked to see just who Irene was glaring at and a look of understanding appeared on their faces. 

 

“Already scoping out the girl who joined that singing club over the summer?” asked Nayeon as she handed Irene her smoothie. “Seems like Seulgi has befriended her so she’ll probably be in that annoying club by the end of the day.” 

 

“She could join cheerleading.” Irene stated stoically. She could see the two girls roll their eyes at her before Jenny gained a mischievous look in her eye. 

 

“Is there a reason why you want her to join us?” Jennie asked with a devious smile. “Because it looks to me that if anyone can convince the cutie pie it would be Seulgi. Look at those moon eyes she’s throwing her.” 

 

“No.” Irene replied with a slight sneer. She could feel her heart start to thump louder. How could she compete with chivalrous Seulgi? She wasn’t even able to mutter more than a thank you at the auditorium last summer. “Just you see.” 

 

“Kang!” yelled Irene through the corridor. Seulgi and the new girl both looked at her in shock, while the rest of the hall peered their eyes over in curiosity. She could feel Nayeyon and Jenny flanking her sides as a means to intimidate the girl even further, but it seemed that those expressive wide eyes only held a questioning gaze. “Now Kang, you know that we had an emergency meeting this morning and yet you decided to ditch us for…” 

 

“Hi! I’m Wendy! It’s a pleasure to meet you!” The enthusiastic greeting was met with a blank stare from Irene. Her face was stone cold and as uninterested as she could muster because her insides felt like they were turning into goop. 

 

“Ah yes,”  Irene spoke in her most commanding voice, “You are that ridiculous glee club’s saving grace. I’m Irene, this Jennie and that’s Nayeon.” She gestured to the girls beside her. “You know Wendy we were actually looking for you, we heard you transferred and decided to welcome you to our school the best way we know how!” She could see Seulgi’s face become concerned as she snapped the top off her smoothie. 

 

“Irene-” 

 

“Zip it Kang! You don’t want our newest edition to your club to feel left out, right?” Just as Wendy glanced over to Seulgi with a questioning gaze, Irene tossed the ice-cold strawberry smoothie at Wendy. Irene saw the girl gasp in shock as she looked at her body, now covered in smoothie. Wendy looked back at Irene who now held an empty cup and a devilish grin. “Welcome to my kingdom Wendy. I do hope you remember this moment because so long as you and I reside in the same space, you will always have me on your mind. Now,” She handed the cup over to Nayeon before looking to Seulgi, “You need to come with me, we have to decide on a practice schedule since that stupid singing club of yours takes up our Tuesday and Thursday after school routine breakdown.”

 

Shooting an apologetic look to Wendy, Seulgi gave her a soft sorry before she left with Irene. Irene could see Wendy looking on with tears in her eyes and confusion written in her face. Irene blew out a breath as she stared at the backs of her three cheerleading members, and subtly looked behind her to see what a mess she truly made of the entire situation. 

 

“We’ll help you get cleaned up Wendy.” It was the other members of the glee club she recognized. She saw little Yeri and Sejoeng both pull Wendy into the nearest restroom before she looked forward again. She saw the questioning gazes of her friends before she returned her expression to its usual stoic once. Maybe putting this distance between her and the girl that made her act irrationally was what was better for everyone… but over her dead body was Seulgi Kang going to get anywhere near that girl. 

 

~~~

PRESENT

 

It seemed that the initial idea of distance was not something Irene was really into. Wendy very quickly became the driving force behind most of her harsh and rash decisions.  The head cheerleader made it clear to everyone though that the smoothie baths for Wendy were made only by her, not that she ever dared to do it again. But that didn’t stop Irene from creating any and all ways to interact with Wendy in one negative form or another.

 

“I’m telling you, there is something going on with Irene, and it has nothing to do with her tyrant like cheer practices either. Have you noticed that since last year she has personally sought out to torture the glee club?” Seulgi asked Joy. Irene could hear them on the other side of the lockers and continued to dress with a roll of her eyes. 

 

Joy was a one of the few cheerleaders who actually liked the glee club. She went to the shows to support Seulgi but also found friends there that she wasn’t expecting to make. It was due to this that she had actually noticed that Irene had grown a particularly nasty interest making sure the glee club was near invisible, more specifically their star pupil. She could hear Joy give Seulgi a grunt of acknowledgment.

 

“Look I’m just saying, I think she has some strong feelings for Wendy is all.” 

 

Irene could feel her hands freeze at the statement. She grabbed her bag in that instant, heart racing, and slammed the door open to the hall, subsequently smacking it right into Wendy. 

 

“What’s your problem Bae?!” Sejeong shouted at Irene as she leaned down to pick Wendy up. Irene could see the discomfort Wendy had as she clutched her forehead, before she met Sejeong’s fiery eyes. 

 

“She should’ve looked to see where she was going.” Irene replied simply, her eyes returning to Wendy. The entire hall was staring them down in amusement. She heard Seulgi and Joy both rush out of the locker room as the crowd’s muttering grew louder. Irene’s gaze on Wendy was quickly interrupted by her realizing just where Sejeong and Wendy were coming from. “Were you coming from that hallway?” Irene growled lowly at Wendy. She took a step closer, looking at Wendy’s eye that wasn’t covered by the hand she had pressed under her bangs. “Did I not tell you not to walk-”

 

“Li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter