Some

Songs We're Singing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

3 updates ! Chapters 13-15 :))

Some- bolbbalgan4

Irene decided to wait for Wendy at the end of her street to reassure her girlfriend that everything was going to be fine. Wendy was holding two gifts and a bouquet of flowers, not once breaking the silence except to say hello. Irene peered over to her, seeing Wendy’s eyes trained on Irene’s house with determination. Her heart fluttered at the sight. Wendy had explained to Irene that she had no plans of letting her parents think of Wendy as anything less than the ideal partner for their precious daughter. The two reached the front of Irene’s door before Wendy let out a deep breath and puffed her chest up a bit.  

 

Irene leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, causing Wendy to look at her slightly surprised. “For luck,” Irene replied with a wink. They walked into the living room, ready to conquer the evening, only to see both her parents mysteriously reading in the living room. “You were spying,” Irene deadpanned. 

 

“What…” her dad spoke in a high voice. “I can’t even- Why would we- That is…” Papa looked at her with wide eyes and pointed to her mom. “It was Liz’s idea.”

 

“Hyun Moo!” her mother shouted.

 

“She looks into my soul with those eyes Liz,” her dad explained in a panic. “She can see right through me!”

 

“Anyway,” Irene said with a sigh. “Mom, Papa, this is Wendy Son. Wendy, this is my Mother and Papa.” 

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Kim!” Wendy said with a firm voice. Irene looked at her slightly amused.. Wendy’s whole body was tense like she was a soldier at boot camp. It was easy to tell that the girl was trying to seem sturdy and tough. It was quickly replaced with slight nerves as she presented them with the gifts.  “I brought these for you both!” 

 

She handed them a box each, leaving them slightly stunned. “Oh! Chocolates!” Hyun Moo squealed. “Thank you for this Wendy!” 

 

“Yes, that is very thoughtful.” Irene’s mom said with a smile admiring the expensive treats. 

 

“And these are also for you Mrs. Kim.” Wendy handed her mother the flowers, leaving her with a single red rose. Her mother smiled widely at the bouquet before seeing the single flower in Wendy’s hand. “But this one is for you,” her girlfriend said with blushing cheeks. Wendy handed Irene the rose with a wide smile. Irene could feel the blush creep onto her own cheeks before meeting Wendy’s eyes with a shy smile as she took the flower and muttered a small thank you. Wendy shook her head and looked back to Irene’s mom, “Thank you for asking me to dinner.”

 

“Of course Wendy,” Irene’s mom said with a laugh. “We had to meet the girl who makes Irene show regular emotion.” 

 

“Hey!” Irene said with a gasp. 

 

“Yeah, she sings in the shower now,” her dad mentioned. “She was even browsing for guitars on Amazon. I didn’t even know she was interested in playing. She complained enough that Tae practiced her instruments at home…”

 

“Because she was loud,” Irene said with a grumble. 

 

“Sweetheart, Tae is a professional musician, she hasn’t missed a proper chord since she was a tween… you just don’t like noise,” her mother said with a laugh. “I am glad that you have learned to lighten up though.” 

 

“Can we sit?” Irene said with a pout. “I was under the impression you’d be picking on Wendy, not me.” 

 

“Irene!” Wendy gasped. 

 

“What?” Irene muttered grabbing onto Wendy’s hand to lead her to the kitchen. 

 

“We weren’t going to pick on you Wendy,” her dad said with a dimpled smile. “I mean I wasn’t… Liz is like Irene… scary.” 

 

“You know, marriages can be terminated, Hyun Moo,”her  mom commented as she walked in with a vase for the flowers. 

 

“When I said scary, I meant like ‘wow she’s so scary and it makes me fall in love with her every day’ not like ‘boo’ scary,” her dad said with a laugh. Irene’s mom rolled her eyes before giving him a quick kiss. 

 

“Good save,” she said, patting his cheek. “Wendy, how did you meet Irene?” 

 

“Oh, you know…” Wendy said trailing off. Irene put her head in her hands as preparation. “She kind of… dumped a milkshake on my head?” Irene felt the room still and peaked between her fingers. Her parents both stood gobsmacked, looking at Irene for confirmation. She gave a swift nod and saw her mother’s face turn into anger. “WAIT!” Wendy exclaimed standing up. “She has apologized to Mrs. Kim! I promise you that it was a long time ago and she has very sincerely and profusely apologized! I wouldn’t have asked her out otherwise!”

 

“Wow,” Irene’s dad said in shock. “You really dumped a shake on her head… what flavor was it?” 

 

“Papa!” Irene exclaimed.

 

“It’s a valid question!”

 

“Strawberry, sir.” Wendy looked a tad scared, whether it was of Irene or her dad she didn’t know.

 

“Oh, call me Papa!” Irene’s dad said with a bright smile. “Anyone who is willing to forgive my daughter’s recklessness must be a kind soul.” Wendy gave him a full smile and nod as she sat back down. “Aren’t you just adorable, Irene how’d you snag her?”

 

“Why do you ask like you can’t believe I did?!” Irene exclaimed. 

 

“Because you have no game honey,” Papa said with fake sympathy. Irene looked at her Papa with utter betrayal before sulking in her seat. 

 

“She has… some game?” Wendy said slowly. Irene turned to look at her with narrowed eyes. 

 

“Oh Irene quit it,” she heard her mother say. “You dumped a milkshake on the girl to get her attention, what in all of that constitutes game?”

 

Irene was stunned at how quickly the night turned into a roast on her and her lack of romantic wiles. She was sure that the song gesture was more than romantic enough to overshadow her previous failings in wooing Wendy. “I’ll have you know I am a massive romantic now, thank you.” 

 

Her parents broke out into a full belly laugh. Irene groaned and returned to sulking in her chair. “Oh, she is right,” Wendy said, cutting the laughter. “She projected a picture of the sky when we first began taking a romantic interest in each other and sang Yellow to me. I was so touched.” Wendy looked to Irene with a sincere smile that Irene returned. 

 

“How cute,” her mother said, “You are learning well Irene.” 

 

Irene looked at her parents who both had a full smile and she returned it slowly. “Thanks.” 

 

“So,” Wendy said sitting up straighter. “Mrs. Kim.”

 

“Call me Momma Bae,” her mother said with a smile. “Most of Irene’s friends do.” 

 

“Just the annoying ones,” Irene muttered. 

 

“Byul and Joy are not annoying,” her mother said with a raised brow. “And Seulgi calls me that too.” 

 

“Seulgi is the exception to the annoying comment,” Irene countered. 

 

“Still so grumpy bunny,” Papa said. Irene looked at him with wide eyes and blushing cheeks. 

 

“Bunny?” Wendy said, turning to Irene with a taunting smile. 

 

“Oh yes, the girl loves them, I used to get home and she’d shout ‘Papa! Bunny missed you!’ Such a cheerful little rabbit,” he said wiping a fake tear. Irene looked at Wendy with a fiery glare, shutting down any teasing immediately. 

 

“Can we eat?” Irene said, trying to change the topic. 

 

Irene saw her mother check her watch with furrowed brows. “We are waiting on Tae, she said she was nearly ho-” 

 

The sound of the front door opening and closing stopped her mother mid-sentence. They all turned to the opening as Taeyeon stomped in looking slightly nervous. “Mom… Papa… we… guest.” 

 

Irene’s eyes bulged out of her head as Tiffany Hwang walked in behind her sister. She wore a sheepish smile and looked at Mom and Papa’s stunned faces. “Momma Bae, Papa, it has been a long time.” 

 

Irene’s mother jumped out her chair and pulled Tiffany into a bear hug, squeezing the girl tightly. “Tiffany Hwang! I thought we would never see you again! My gosh, you look amazing? Taeyeon doesn’t she look amazing?” They all looked at Taeyeon who smacked her hand to her face before nodding. 

 

It was when Hyun Moo stood up silently when everyone really grew silent. He made his way slowly to Tiffany, giving nothing away in his expression. Once he had Tiffany within arms reach, he let his pooled tears fall before pulling her into a tight hug. “Thank goodness you are okay.” Tiffany held onto him tightly as well, evidence that she too was shedding a couple of tears. “My poor daughter, don’t cry.” 

 

“Is Advisor Hwang also your sister or something?” Wendy whispered with a confused look. 

 

“I don’t even know at this rate,” Irene whispered back. 

 

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Her mother said putting down an extra plate. “That would be super weird. Tiffany is practically family through Taeyeon… like Wendy is through Irene.” They both let out an ‘Oh’ before looking at each other shyly. 

 

“Okay, can someone explain to me why I am the only one who was angry and not relieved to see Tiffany?!” They all looked to Taeyeon who seemed to be radiating frustration. 

 

“Tae, I think you need to sit down.” Papa guided Tiffany to sit beside him, leaving Taeyeon to sit beside her. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell her Fany, it should’ve been the first thing you did!”

 

“She is stubborn Papa, can’t be reasoned with,” Tiffany said with a smile to Taeyeon. Irene saw her sister look at her with a glare before she bit into one of the dinner rolls. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter