Be Natural

Songs We're Singing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Be Natural- Red Velvet

(More of the dance piece than the song itself)

The process of ignoring one’s girlfriend is actually quite difficult. Especially when she seemed to be very sorry and sending you affirmations of love and good mornings and goodnights. Irene felt herself melt just a tiny bit more at Wendy’s ‘I miss you. I’m so sorry. Please don’t break up with me.’ texts. And so Saturday was mostly getting homework done and outlining the choreography to Seulgi’s insane dance routine. It also let Irene use Yeri as a subbed dance partner and critic for the day. 

 

“In theory, is staying away from your girlfriend who is hanging out with the girl you seem to be jealous of the wisest choice?” Seulgi asked Irene. They had called for a break and decided it was best to walk around the town for a while before eventually heading home. 

 

“Yeah, wouldn’t your little Irene heart prefer to keep her all closed up? Do you need help figuring out how to stake your claim?” Yeri added. Irene gave them a loud sigh as a response before grabbing her hot chocolate and walking out the door of the shop. “We are literally right behind you Ice Queen, you can’t run.” 

 

“I’m not running,” Irene replied. She felt the cold air hit her as soon as they stepped into the streets. It may have been smarter to wear a thicker coat in November but she was rushed out of the door by Seulgi who desperately wanted to make it to the record shop before closing. She sat at the tables outside the coffee shop the frequented and curled into herself. “I need to trust that she won't get up and leave me at the slightest bump in the road. And I thought we weren’t talking about this!” 

 

“It’s like the most relevant thing going on right now,” Yeri shrugged. “The Wenrene ship is in danger of sinking.” 

 

“It’s not,” Irene said harshly. 

 

“Have you told Wendy that?” Seulgi countered. 

 

“No,” Irene replied, “And neither will either of you. Let us handle this space.” A strong shiver racked Irene’s body as she scooted closer to Seulgi who wrapped an arm around her shoulder and began rubbing. “I really should’ve grabbed a thicker jacket.”

 

“You should’ve…” Yeri said trailing off before smirking. “Say Irene,” Yeri began leaning on her elbows, “When you said space… did you mean physically be out of each other’s range?”

 

Irene sat there confused as could be. “Yes…” 

 

“Well, seems like someone didn't quite get the memo…” Yeri singsonged. It took Irene a tilt of the head before she heard footsteps come up to their table. Before them stood Joy and Wendy, clad in thick winter clothes, one with a mischievous smile and the other with a clenched jaw. “Ladies,” Yeri greeted them before sipping her tea. 

 

“Munchkin,” Joy winked at Yeri. “Well now how funny running into you here.” 

 

It didn’t seem all that ironic considering how often they ended up at this. And the deep gaze that Wendy sported was not something Irene was used to seeing. It reminded her of when Bogum had made a full gesture in front of glee… Irene matched Wendy’s gaze to the arm that had been trying to keep her warm, the same that was suddenly unsure if it should move or not. Irene decided for them and scooted out of Seulgi’s hold, smiling apologetically at her friend before shivering once again. She could withstand the cold if it meant putting Wendy at ease for a while. 

 

“Here,” Wendy said stepping forward and stripping her coat off. Irene suddenly felt the warmth of Wendy’s coat surround her, filling her with Wendy’s scent as well. Her girlfriend was left with nothing but a hoodie, seemingly undisturbed by the cold. Irene looked and saw Wendy fixing her lapels before their eyes met, noses nearly grazing. Suddenly Wendy leaned in for a full kiss, allowing Irene’s body to completely warm up before brushing their noses together, “I miss you. I’m so sorry.” She felt Wendy pull away and stand up, finally giving her the space to look up. There was a flush to Wendy’s cheeks, probably mirroring Irene’s own as everyone looked at the two impressed.

 

“I wish we could stay, but I do believe our Ice Queen declared a request for space? Hope you are working out whatever is going on in that marevelous head of yours,” Joy laughed, poking Irene’s forehead. The tall girl swung her arm around Wendy whose eyes did nothing to move from Irene. “I’ll be sure to return her unharmed.” 

 

And with that, Joy led Wendy away, but not before Wendy let her hand graze Irene’s face a bit before walking off. Irene could tell that Yeri was watching them go before looking back at her with agape. 

 

“Wow oh wow. I did NOT think Wendy Son had it in her to peacock her own friend for you,” Yeri said in surprise. 

 

“Right?” Seulgi said in surprise, “I thought she was going to tear me in two!” 


“She did not,” Irene said with an eye roll. 

 

“I mean probably not,” Seulgi said with a reassuring pat, “I think not being near you, or taking care of you, knowing that you were the one that asked for the space has impacted her a bit more than she’d care to admit. Wendy wouldn’t ever be possessive in a malicious way… but she was probably bothered by watching someone else comfort you. Usually she has you all wrapped up in her.”

 

“At least you know that she is really thinking out the consequences of this choice,” Yeri added. Irene saw Seulgi nod along in agreement. “She just sent Seul and I a text that said to make sure you are warm and that Seulgi is on thin ice. So she’s not- Oh and a sad face followed by I miss her.” 

 

“She literally planted one on Irene right here, how much can she miss her,” Seulgi laughed. 

 

Irene didn’t have the will to tell them that Wendy was never that intense usually. It seemed that maybe this space she requested was serving them both in finding out just how much the other person mattered to them. 

 

~~~

 

Sunday was a whole different affair entirely. After going home, Irene pretty much zoned out and decided to sleep early, making sure Seul and Yeri knew that she would be getting them bright and early for their next practice. They had decided on lunch before going to Irene’s to practice the routine. And so they sat at the restaurant, asking Irene for more details about Friday’s events.

 

“Well, she texted asking me if I got home okay and I said yes. I asked about homework before Joy took her phone and said that she was on timeout for not paying attention to her suggestions.” Yeri and Seulgi stopped mid-chew to look at Irene with an apologetic expression. “Yeah, I didn’t reply after that. Then we saw her yesterday at the coffee shop, and she texted me goodnight, but I was asleep so I told her that this morning. Now here we are.” 

 

“Yes,” Yeri started dramatically, “You’re second choice.”

 

“Oh quiet,” Irene scoffed, before throwing her fry at the girl. “I don’t want to make out with you, you’re a whole different type of option.”

 

“You don’t really want to make out with Wendy right now either,” Seulgi muttered. Irene shot her a glare while Yeri smacked her. “Ow! Okay, I get it too soon.” Seulgi looked to Irene, “Are you going to talk to her?” 

 

“Eventually,” Irene replied. “She’s my girlfriend and I adore her…”

 

“But?” Yeri asked, taking a bite of a fry. 

 

“But I needed to think. And remind myself that I have no reason to be insecure. I trust her and I know she’s probably just a big idiot who can’t handle her reactions all that well.”

 

“She is,” Yeri said with an eye roll. “Glad you’ve come to our conclusion.”

 

“Though I don’t think Wendy is all that convinced you are trying to process your feelings.” Irene looked at Seulgi questioningly before her friend sighed and pulled out her phone. “37 messages Irene. 37! All asking me if you are going to dump her!”

 

“I’m not dumping her,” Irene said with a scoff. 

 

“See we know that,” Yeri said with a sly smile, “Poor Wendy is probably overthinking everything.” 

 

“Is this the longest you’ve gone without talking? Minus that show yesterday,” Seulgi asked. 

 

“I guess,” Irene said with a small smile. “I do miss her. Did you know she was gonna partner with Joy?”

 

“No,” Seulgi said. “I honestly only asked you after Wendy told Joy she would partner with her. I was a bit surprised too.” 

 

“Not surprised enough to wait until after practice to ask Irene to team up,” Yeri muttered bitterly. Irene and Seulgi both looked at her with slight shock. “What? My thighs are still on fire!”

 

Irene laughed, “Sorry, I tend to get all dictator when I get upset. Anger fuels concentration.” 

 

“Dilute it.” Seulgi and Yeri both replied. 

 

“Yes, yes, I know, better coping mechanisms and all,” Irene said with an off-handed wave. She noticed the girls looking behind her with wide eyes but paid no mind to it. “I will talk to her. Just not today, or tomorrow.”

 

“I would rethink that timeline, Irene…” Yeri whispered. Seulgi looked above her head with a nervous smile, making Irene tilt her head and look at Seulgi like she had los

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter