Smoke without fire

The challenge of loving deeply

Kyungsoo heard the slam on the door before he heard his brothers voice cursing. He looked over at his brother who was pacing in the spacious room with angry steps.

"ing . How could he reject me?" Baekhyun didn't seem to notice his baby brother lying lifeless on the floor until he was tripping over him making a loud crushing noise when their bodies met.

"Soo why are you sleeping on the floor? You know why beds are for right? Is it that weird fear again? I already told you there is no monster living under your bed and even if it was you are 26 year old he wouldn't bother eating your old ." Kyungsoo could only blink at his brother who had trapped him under his weight. Baekhyun was a bit confused but then he notice Kyungsoo's eyes redness and he was immediately alarmed.

"Were you crying what happened?" Baekhyun's look of concern make Kyungsoo's even more furious.

"Why are you here, need to pick some stuff before moving to the master bedroom?"

"What are you.." Baekhyun was interrupted by his impatient baby brother who had abruptly pushed him off. 

"I saw you Baekhyun. I saw you kissing with Jongin." His voice was filled with despair and Baekhyun immediately looked apologetic.

"Oh you saw that? Well… i had to try" Kyungsoo didn't wanted to listen to the details but Baekhyun wouldn't shut up already.

"You know how the papers always describe him. The dangerous lover. So good that nobody could resist his touch. I had to know for myself but it was such a disappointing experience." Kyungsoo had to roll his eyes at Baekhyun nerve to discuss his 'disappointing' experience with him. To Kyungsoo kissing Jongin would always be THE experience. Not that it mattered.

"It was all good at the beginning, you know i pretended i was curious to see his rooms and he didn't say no and then i kissed him. He didn't kiss me back but he wasn't pushing me away. When i thought it was time to level up he completely froze on me. And then he slapped me while we were kissing. I was like ,what the dude, but then he slapped himself and that was very awkward." Kyungsoo couldn't believe what he was listening too. He had to confirm that his ears were not playing tricks on him.

"So he rejected you?" He asked ignoring the feeling of hope that dared to bloom in his heart.

"Yeah he bowed to me and said, I am sorry i think you should go." Baekhyun tried to imitate Jongin tone and Kyungsoo would probably laugh if he wasn't mad out of his freaking mind with him.

"I can't believe this" Baekhyun concluded tired and pick himself up before he was pushed back on the floor by his brother firm hands.

"I can't believe this" Kyungsoo repeated the words he spoke but for an entirely different reason.

"BAEKHYUN YOU PIECE OF !! You kissed my boss??? Are you crazy???" Kyungsoo voice was becoming louder while the hold of his hands was becoming thighter around Baekhyun's sensitive neck. He was even coughing that dramatic hypocrite

"Soo… Y-you k-killing… me!" Kyungsoo immediately released him but only physically. The youngers eyes on him still promised murder.

"I don't understand , why you are so mad at me! You said you didn't like him like that. Why did i do wrong?" 

"Are you serious?? I …" Kyungsoo try to think of a reason that was anything but the truth. " could have lost my job. Did you thought of that?" Yeah that was a good reason . Completely valid.

"I am sorry"

"Screw that half-assed apology , give that to someone else. Someone who hasn't grow up with you apologizing your over everything you do." Kyungsoo couldn't forgive Baekhyun like that. He was hurt really bad and he wasn't willing to give in to his brother like he usually would have.

"Soo i am so sorry , please believe me," his voice suddenly became softer and his eyes travelled to Kyungsoo with what looked like genuine remorse. " I make a lot of mistakes but i am not a bad person. Remember? You say that about me?" Of course Baekhyun had to play the blood related brother's card and remind him of the way he used to defend the older's honour. That little had no shame whatsoever.

"Don't you use my own words against me or i swear i will rip off your tongue?" Kyungsoo said deadly serious and Baekhyun put a hand up to his mouth protectively making him almost smile with the cute gesture. Kyungsoo didn't want to be around him anymore. He didn't have anywhere to go but if he stayed with his brother any longer he might do something stupid. He might forgive him and Baekhyun didn't deserved to be forgiven so easily. Not this time. So he left the room and a pleading Baekhyun behind. It was only when he was out of the house in the cold that he realised that he was only wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants. Neither of this two pieces of clothing could offer him protection from the cold but he wouldn't return back to his room . He would rather suffer.



 

Jongin couldn't sleep. He kept turning around on his bed the thoughts on his mind torturing him. He wanted to see Kyungsoo . Was he asleep or was he talking with his brother. Jongin didn't trust Baekhyun. He had only tolerated the guys obnoxious behaviour because he was Kyungsoo's brother. But he had crossed every line with what he did. What was he going to say to Kyungsoo? Was he going to lie about it? Was Kyungsoo going to believe his lies? Was he going to lose him? He couldn't bear to lose him. He was awake in the middle of the night walking around the corridors with one person on his mind. That was Kyungsoo. That's why when he saw him standing right in front of him in the middle of the garden for a moment he thought his imagination was running wild created a fantasy. How much he wished it was true! Kyungsoo was finally wearing something that allowed Jongin to admire the unblemished skin of his neck and his soft arms. His hair looked glistening under the moonlight. He was looking at the sky. Maybe he was counting the stars , maybe he was just admiring them. 

"Are you real , or is my mind really haunted by a beautiful ghost?" He asked sincerely waiting for the answer.

"If i was a ghost , why would i waste my time haunting you?" He replied with his very familiar serious but yet sarcastic tone that made Jongin heart feel so warm even if it was really cold outside. Kyungsoo looked at him and he just stared for while. Jongin could not look away. Suddenly Kyungsoo realised what he was doing and he turned away embarrassed.

"I am sorry for what my brother did?"

"He told you what happened?" Jongin was surprised Baekhyun told the truth to Kyungsoo. Maybe he had misjudged his character. He thought that the brother of a perfect person like Kyungsoo couldn't have such a broken moral compass.

"I saw it actually, but he explained to me"

"I am sorry" Jongin interrupted him " You shouldn't have seen something like that" Jongin concern was pouring from every word that slipped his mouth and Kyungsoo's heart was feeling funny.

"Hey Jongin. That person these magazine's can't stop gossiping about. That isn't you. I know that now. Actually that a lie. I knew that for a while. But i still don't know you." It felt like a question. One Jongin didn't know if he was ready to answer. But he couldn't feel any fear right now. He couldn't feel the tip of his fingers as well but that was not necessary important.

"Would you believe me if i tell you?" Jongin was going to risk it all. He was ready to expose his heart but he was scared. What if this side of him wasn't satisfying to Kyungsoo's mind. What if he found it funny? What if he refused to believe it?

"If you say it's the truth, i will believe."