New York

Marriage Certificate

 

Throughout her life, Ryeowook never travelled far, let alone travelled in Business Class! She was in awe when Kyuhyun gently pulled her to Business Class queue during boarding, and true enough, their seats were in Business Class!! "Oh my!!! Kyu, the tickets must have cost a bomb, because of the distance!"

"I rather you'll be comfortable, that's why I asked Donghae to book business class. I put your handbag under the seat first, okay" Kyuhyun said while helping her to get settled in her seat. He took out her ipad and handphone in case she needed them, and put her handbag safely under the front seat. 

Ryeowook put on her seat belt and Kyuhyun reached over to check the tightness. "I'm okay Kyu" Ryeowook said, gesturing at her seat belt and her tummy. 

Kyuhyun sat next to her at the aisle side. For Business Class, there were only two seats at the window row, compared to the Economy section, which was also the other reason why Kyuhyun chose Business Class. It would be easier if his wife wanted to go to the toilet as he would know and could accompanied her. 

It was a long flight and wasn't that smooth. Some hours later, the plane went through turbulence due to thunderstorm and Ryeowook got scared and Kyuhyun brought up the seat separator and pulled her into his arms. When she finally slept in his arms, he kissed her head and smile, recalling during their early month of marriage, she ran to him due to thunderstorm, and that was the night they first made love. 

How time flies. Now she was carrying their baby and has crafted her name in the designing world. He was so proud of her and couldn't wait to introduce her to his parents. He soothed her hair, covered her with the airline blanket and brought down his hand to her tummy. To his surprise, their baby kicked his hand! 

"Baby, why aren't you sleeping yet? Go and sleep darling, don't wake mummy up" Kyuhyun bent down to whisper to his baby. His baby kicked his hand again! 

"Okay okay, I'll leave my hand here so that you know daddy's here. Now go and sleep okay. I love you!!" Kyuhyun chuckled and hugged his wife tighter and really left his hand there on her tummy. 

They finally reached John F Kennedy Airport in New York, after about 14 hours and 20 minutes of flight. And after Ryeowook went to toilet 5 times and threw up 3 times. 

Once they had disembarked, Ryeowook ran to the toilet again, making poor hubby Kyuhyun to rush after her, scared that she fell down. He just couldn't understand pregnancy. Why do they threw up so many times? "Poor Ryeong. Even on her 22nd week, she still felt nauseas". 

After immigration, they collected their luggage and exit the arrival hall. Kyuhyun's father waved at them from a seat. Kyuhyun held Ryeowook with one hand and pushed their two big trolleys using his other hand. 

"Appa!!" Kyuhyun hugged his father warmly and asked about his mother. 

"She's at home , waiting for you two. She thought it's better to wait at home, because it's difficult to bring along wheelchair. He looked at Ryeowook and smile and nodded warm, and Kyuhyun turned around to introduce Ryeowook. 

"Appa, this is my wife, Ryeowook, and Ryeong, this is appa. Omma is at home waiting for us" 

"Annyeong abunim" Ryeowook bowed politely, but her father-in-law hugged her instead! 

"I'm very happy to finally meet you! I heard so much about you from Kyu and now I can really see that I'll be a grandfather soon!! Welcome to our family!!!" Mr Cho said happily. "So sorry we couldn't fly over. How was the long flight?" he gestured her to sit down. 

Kyuhyun got Ryeowook to sit "I felt dizzy whenever there was some turbulence and threw up but other than that, it was comfortable journey" Ryeowook said shyly. 

"Appa, can you accompany Ryeong here for a while? I just grab some buns for her. If she got hunger pangs, she will throw up again" Kyuhyun told his father, who nodded and hurried him to go. 

Kyuhyun came back with scones and mineral water, and they set off to Mr Cho's car. Kyuhyun made sure his wife ate the scones while walking to the car. 

They could fit the 2 luggage easily as Mr Cho's car was a Ford Explorer. Kyuhyun wanted to sit at the back with Ryeowook but she stopped him and gestured him to sit next to his father. Throughout the journey, he kept looking back to make sure his wife was okay and comfortable. 

Mrs Cho was so happy to meet them, especially her sweet daughter-in-law! Though she insisted Ryeowook to rest seeing how tired she looked, Ryeowook assured her that she was okay, and gave her mother-in-law her shoes. She gave her father-in-law his shoes too. 

Kyuhyun was so proud of his wife and seeing how delighted his parents were after they tried the shoes and they fitted so well and that they loved the designs, it just added to his happiness! 

They went out for dinner at night, after Ryeowook took a nap. Mrs Cho need to use a walking stick as her leg was still recover from swelling, so Ryeowook walked slowly with her. 

"Wow, New York is so beautiful at night!" Ryeowook said, looking all around her. 

Mrs Cho smile "Yes, it's lovely, isn't it? And this is just Central Park area. Tomorrow Kyu can bring you around to downtown New York and Manhattan, and to see the Statue of Liberty! It's really a lovely area around the statue" she said, making Kyuhyun to look back at them. Making sure both his mother and his wife were okay, he continued walking with his father. 

"I can't wait to see the Statue of Liberty, omonim! I only saw it on TV or in calendars. It's the same thing about the Eiffel Tower. Last time I only collected the Eiffel Tower key chains. Then Kyu brought me to Paris and we stayed near to the Tower! I just couldn't believe it that the Tower was just in front of me!!" Ryeowook laughed. 

"Eiffel Tower is very romantic! There's something about it that makes you want to see it over and over again! I'm sure that you want to go there again, right my dear?" Mrs Cho asked her daughter-in-law. They had reached the restaurant and Ryeowook walked in with Mrs Cho, behind Kyuhyun. 

"Yes definitely!!" Ryeowook said without hesitation. 

"Go where?" Kyuhyun asked while helping Ryeowook to sit, while his father helped his mother to sit. 

"I told ommonim about Eiffel Tower and definitely I want to visit there again!"

Kyuhyun sat down and said "You know Omma, she forgot all about me when she saw the Tower!" Kyuhyun complained to his mother, just to tease his wife.

"I didn't..." Ryeowook said to defend herself.

They laughed and a waitress came with the menu. Seeing Ryeowook who was pregnant, the waiter politely recommended some dishes which were nutritious and at the same time has mango salad as a side dish.

Ryeowook was happy to try, and thanked her in English.  Kyuhyun thanked the waitress too for her recommendation and the Chos gave their orders too. Ryeowook was glad that in her previous job, all sales personnel have to learn basic English as they would need to communicate with foreign tourist.

They talked about her interest in designing and papa Cho was quite interested to introduce her designs to New York's shoes retailers. 

"Appa, yes, maybe after she gives birth. Right now I don't want her to overwork. But we can send you the designs that she has done so far and you review if those are good enough for New Yorkers?"

"Yes abunim, my designs are more flowery for ladies shoes and more Korean theme for guys shoes. Might not be trendy enough here" Ryeowook added. 

"I think New Yorkers are very open minded. Okay, you send me the designs first and I'll review. Seriously, I'll be happy to introduce your designs here!" papa Cho said happily. 

They ate happily and Ryeowook felt her baby kicking. Even at 22nd week, the kicking was quite strong. She couldn't imagine if her baby were in the later stage! 

Sensing that she stopped eating and was soothing her tummy, Kyuhyun asked her with concerned. 

"Baby has been moving a lot and keep on kicking" 

"Baby must be jealous that mummy is eating good food!" Kyuhyun chuckled and reached over to soothed her tummy too. 

Her tummy was already showing a lot, so Mrs Cho asked whether they knew the baby's gender "Do you know whether it's a boy or girl?" . 

"Omma, during the last checkup, baby turned into a position that the doctor couldn't determine the gender yet. Hopefully we will know it during the next checkup. Baby seems determined to hide from us, but I have a feeling that it's a boy" Kyuhyun put his arm on Ryeowook's shoulder and laughed. 

They laughed and talked more about the baby, that baby must have long legs like Kyuhyun, and what were some of the best names to give for 1st born. 

"I like 'Hyun Ki' if it's a boy. It means Wise, clever, expert or intelligent. So it will be Cho Hyun Ki" mama Cho smile happily.

"Hmmm, that's a nice name, omma. Let me write it down" Kyuhyun took out his phone and input the name in a notepad.

"I personally would like a granddaughter!! Girls are cuter!!" papa Cho said, smiling at them. "Let me give a name.... hmmmm 'Cho Ji Hyun'!!! It means virtuous, worthy’ and also ‘wisdom, and intellect’. Good?" papa Cho asked his wife and Ryeowook. Ryeowook gave him a thumbs up! 

"Cho Ji Hyun" Kyuhyun wrote down the name. "Actually omma, the earlier name, we can put it as Cho Ki Hyun. Then when we have our 2nd one and if it's a girl, we'll name her as Cho Ji Hyun!" he chuckled when Ryeowook looked at him bewilderedly. "What? We are not going to stop at one...." 

Ryeowook beat him playfully and her in-laws laughed. They finished up their dinner and ordered pudding for dessert. All in all, it was a lovely dinner and Ryeowook could see that eventhough Kyuhyun stayed so far away from his parents, but they were very close in every sense. 

Mrs Cho also son that he became more jovial after his marriage and no longer the serious person that he used to be. Marriage was really the turning factor for her son! 

Kyuhyun collected his rented car the next day to tour around New York. He dare not go around taking subways for Ryeowook's safety. The New Yorkers are always in a hurry and pushing and swearing were a norm, and Kyuhyun did not want to take the risk.

Their first stop was the Statue of Liberty. The Statue is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbour within New York city.  "The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World" was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the United States and is recognized as a universal symbol of freedom and democracy.

Ryeowook couldn't believe her eyes! She was actually seeing the Statue with her own eyes!! As usual she was so excited and tried to take selfies herself until Kyuhyun grabbed her phone and took her photos in 10 different angles!

Kyuhyun asked another tourist to take their photos together and at one point when they were admiring the statue, a guy tapped Kyuhyun's shoulder and asked him to take his photo for him. Kyuhyun obliged and Ryeowook moved away to give him space.

After taking a few shots, Kyuhyun walked towards the guy to return back his phone. That guy suddenly whistle and made a remark "Heyy man, you got a nice pair of shoes here!"

Kyuhyun smile "Thank you. Yes I like it a lot"

"It's designer shoes. Must have cost a bomb huhh?" and he walked closer to Kyuhyun. Suddenly out of nowhere, he took out a knife and pointed it towards Kyuhyun. "Now be a good man and quietly hand over the shoes. Nobody gonna get hurt and don't make any fuss"

Kyuhyun was dumbfounded. He didn't want to alarm Ryeowook, yet he also didn't want the guy to hurt him or anybody including Ryeowook.

"I'm waiting..." the guy raised his eyebrows and pointed the knife nearer towards Kyuhyun.  He wanted to signal to Ryeowook to move away but dare not turned his body, scared that the guy will go after Ryeowook instead. 

Kyuhyun was about to bend down to remove his shoes when a floral-design casual shoe came flying towards the guy's face, and smacked him right on his face!  And the guy was immediately thrown backwards with a shocked expression all over his face!!