Short separation

Marriage Certificate

 

Ryeowook was taking pictures when she happened to turn around, intending to ask Kyuhyun about the statue, but, what she saw was a guy was threatening her husband with something which looked like a knife!  From where she was standing, she could see that the guy was holding something metallic. 

Sensing that he might harm Kyuhyun, she quickly thought of something, which was to throw her shoe at that guy! And to her amazement, her aim was accurate!! The shoe went straight to his face! 

Kyuhyun was surprised and looked at Ryeowook, and then quickly called out to 2 police officers who were patrolling at this area. Some of the other tourists also came forward to help pinned down and restrained the robber from getting away. They mentioned that they were robbed too, and when the two officers ran to where the robber was pinned down, one of them quickly handcuffed the robber, and the other officer seized the backpack and using a glove, opened up the bag. 

True enough, the bag contain all the robbed items and the officer wrote down the tourist names and contact details, and advised them to collect their belonging at their police post two blocks away, tomorrow as they need to take photos of the robbed items in order to charge him in court. 

The officer took down Kyuhyun's details too and the sequence of event. And after half an hour, the officers dragged that guy to their police car. 

"Are you okay Ryeong? Thank you for your quick thinking!! My beloved wife saved me!! And you are my heroine!!" Kyuhyun hugged her and kissed her forehead. 

"Are you okay, Kyu, did he hurt you?" Ryeowook in turned asked her husband worriedly. 

"I'm fine! Come, let me put on your shoe for you. Hold on to me" Kyuhyun bend down to help her put on her shoe. 

"Thank you!" Ryeowook said to him appreciatively, and smiling sweetly at him. She earned a kiss on her lips from him.  Then she remembered what she wanted to ask him "Ohh Kyu, I wanted to ask you whether we can go up to the Crown viewing deck at the statue?" 

"No, it will be too tiring for you!  There is no elevator and to go up to the Crown, visitors must be able to climb up and down the 393 steps unassisted. And worst still, there are 162 narrow and tight steps from the top of the pedestal to the crown. Absolute no no!" but when he saw Ryeowook's disappointed face, he added "Hmmmm... ok maybe we go for the statue cruise instead?"

"Ahhh, okay, yes then, can we go for the cruise?" 

Kyuhyun nodded and chuckled at her. His lovely wife was always so excited when she saw famous landmarks, and the Statue of Liberty was no exception.

To get to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty they would need to purchase a ferry ticket at Statue Cruises booth.

Once Kyuhyun had gotten their ferry tickets, they drove to the point of departure at Battery Park, New York. They have to go through security checks and once they boarded the ferry, Kyuhyun held Ryeowook's hand and helped her to go up to the 3rd level, where it provided the best viewing.

"Wow, I never imagine that I can see the Statue Of Liberty upclose! Thank you, Kyu, for bringing me here!" Ryeowook said smiling happily, full of gratitude. If Kyuhyun didn't come into her life, she wouldn't be able to see Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Manhattan, Central Park, Empire State Building, and many other places in New York! 

Kyuhyun wrapped his arm across her shoulder "My pleasure. Maybe when our kid is 2 years old, we can go to LA and Disneyland, San Francisco or Las Vegas!" 

"I love that. We can tour with your parents" Ryeowook said smiling.

"You don't mind to tour with them?" 

"No, I don't mind, in fact I would love to!" 

Kyuhyun smile happily. He was happy that Ryeowook gets along very well with his mother, and his mother adored Ryeowook very much! 

Ryeowook started to take photos of the Statue and smilingly, Kyuhyun took her phone to take selfies of both of them with the statue as the background. 

Then he bend down and said "Baby, we are at Statue of Liberty, in New York. So you've been here okay. Don't say I never bring you to New York!!" he said and burst out laughing when Ryeowook beat him playfully. He kissed Ryeowook and they laughed and continued to admire the statue. 

Kyuhyun led her to sit so that it wouldn't be too tiring for her. Ryeowook took out her ipad and started sketching a casual shoe with statue of liberty! Surrounding the shoe, on the left inner side was Ellis Island, while on the right outer side was downtown New York. She saved it and duplicate the shoe to be a pair. Then she showed it to Kyuhyun, who was taking a video. 

"Ohmygod Ryeong!!! You design this in a matter of minutes!!! This is absolutely beautiful!!" 

"Isit? I think I will touch up a little more..." 

"It's really good, Ryeong! Save it, I will show it to Appa later!" he pulled Ryeowook closer by her waist "You are one amazing woman, do you know that?" 

"Am I..?" Ryeowook smile at him while saving her work. She has many ideas now, but decided to keep her ipad because the water became choppy now. She looked around "Kyu, is the ferry going back to the terminal soon? The water is quite choppy now. I'm getting a headache... " she said, reaching for Kyuhyun's hand. 

Kyuhyun held her hand and looked around. "Yes it is, and it looks like going to rain. Ryeong, let's go down to the lower deck before it starts raining..." and he helped his wife up and carried her bag. 

Before they even stepped down, there was a strong wind and Ryeowook swayed out of Kyuhyun's grip. There were some screaming from other ladies too as the wind was very strong. 

"Ryeong!!" Kyuhyun quickly grabbed her again with alarm. "Hold on to me!" and he pulled her arm and hooked it on his waist while he held her tightly and helped her down to the 2nd deck. "Are you okay?" 

She clinged to him and hid her face on his chest as heavy rain started hitting the roof of the ferry followed by a bolt of lightning. "I'm scared of the thunderstorm..." 

Kyuhyun quickly dragged her to the steps to go down to the lowest deck. Knowing that she was scared of thunders, at least with a crowded lower deck, she would feel better. Though the deck were crowded, there were some vacant seats as most tourist were standing and talking. He pulled her to two vacant seats on the 2nd last row. 

Once seated, he pulled her closer, and kissed her head. He smilingly remembered how she ran to him because she was scared of the thunderstorm. He looked up and saw the arrival point about 100 metres away. "Ryeong, we are reaching the terminal soon. We go for lunch after that, okay?" 

"Okay" Ryeowook said and rest her head on Kyuhyun's chest again "My tummy hurts..." 

"Baby kick you?" Kyuhyun asked gently and soothed her tummy.

Suddenly the ferry shook violently, as though it hit something with force. Kyuhyun held Ryeowook tighter and there were screams from tourist all around, especially from the upper decks. 

"OhmyGod, what's happening?" Kyuhyun asked "Luckily we are seated!" and seeing Ryeowook's pale face, he asked with alarm "Ryeong, are you okay?" 

"I... I'm fine, just a little shock, and my tummy still hurts, but I'm fine, really.. " Ryeowook assured her worried husband. 

There was an announcement apologising to the passengers. Apparently due to choppy water and the storm, the ferry was forcely swayed towards the jetty and hit head on to the side of the jetty. The captain rushingly came over and apologised to the passengers too, and when he saw that Ryeowook was pregnant, he stepped nearer to them and asked with concern "Ma'am, are you okay, do you need any medical attention?" 

"She's in a shock, but no, we don't need any medical assistance, for now. Thank you for asking" Kyuhyun thanked the captain, with a slight bow. 

"We will disembark soon. At the platform once you exit the gate, there is a medical centre which I think you should drop by, just to make sure that your wife is okay" the captain told him, still with a concerned look. 

"Alright, thank you, captain, yes I think I will bring her there for a checkup" Kyuhyun told him. 

"Great" the captain gave him a thumbs up and then he talked with someone using his walkie talkie. Then he looked up to the passengers "Okay everyone, we will disembark in 5 minutes time. Stay where you are and we will guide you to disembark in orderly manner" and he instructed his team to be on standby. 

Once they had exited from the arrival gate, Kyuhyun saw the medical centre and lead Ryeowook towards the centre. When a paramedic was assigned to them, Kyuhyun introduced himself and explained what happened and Ryeowook was ushered to a medical room. A nurse helped her to lay down on the medical bed so that the doctor could examine her. 

A lady doctor, Dr Downey, did the e examination and asked Ryeowook a few questions. Luckily Ryeowook knew how to speak English, so she could answer the queries without the need to call Kyuhyun who was anxiously waiting on his seat. Kyuhyun had wanted to be with his wife but the nurse asked him to wait at the seat. 

After her examination, Dr Downey said "Mr Cho, your baby is in distress. I'll write a letter to Bellevue Hospital, and get an appointment for you. Give me a minute" Dr Downey told Kyuhyun, and picked up the phone and made the call to the hospital.

Kyuhyun quickly turned his attention to Ryeowook and got up to help her. "You okay, Ryeong?"

"Yeah, but the cramp is still there..." she told him, grimacing in discomfort.

Kyuhyun carried her down carefully "Ryeong, our baby is in distress, that's why you keep having cramps. We need to go to the hospital for further checkup okay" Kyuhyun held her hand and gestured her to sit.

"But I feel okay, only the cramps..." 

"Let's just go, for peace of mind, hmm?" Kyuhyun squeezed her hand.

"Okayyy, but can we eat first?" 

Kyuhyun smile and nodded. He soothed her tummy and prayed silently that their baby was well and okay. 

They arrived at Bellevue Hospital after their lunch. Kyuhyun had informed his parents and told them that he would update them again. He hand over the letter from Dr Drowney to the Registration staff, and Ryeowook's passport as her identification. 

After a gynaecologist had done a thorough checkup on Ryeowook, she told Kyuhyun that she needed to talk to them. 

"Hi, I'm Dr Jenn Whatt. You mentioned that you are here on holidays and will be flying back home?" 

"Ahh, yes doctor, we are here from Seoul, to visit my parents, and will be flying back this coming Sunday. How is my wife, doctor?" 

"Your baby is in distress, can be due to various factors, like different sleeping time, different eating time, womb condition, etc. And I strongly recommend your wife to stay here for at least 2 more weeks to rest. I will give her an injection to strengthen her womb and after 2 weeks of resting, she should be okay to fly back"

Kyuhyun was surprised "But I need to return back due to work issues, and I definitely can't leave her here".

"I really don't recommend her to fly. Is she able to stay with your parents?"

Ryeowook stopped Kyuhyun from going against the doctor "Kyu, it's okay I can stay here with ommonim and abunim. You go ahead and settle your acquisition, then you fly back here"

"Ryeong, I'll be too worried if you are not with me...."

"I'm not alone, so don't worry..."

Kyuhyun was quiet. For Ryeowook and their baby's safety, he admit that she should stay here and rest. But being apart from her is like living in hell... He would miss her a lot! And to be apart for 2 to 3 weeks..... "

"Kyu..."

"Okay okay, let me talk to appa and omma" Kyuhyun sighed, and turned to the doctor "Doctor, so you were saying that you need to give her a jab? Does she need to be warded?"

"No, she don't have to" Dr Whatt told him politely. She turned and smile at Ryeowook "Mrs Cho, I'm sorry, can you lie down again? We'll do the jab in a while" 

They were allowed to leave, after Kyuhyun collected the medicines prescribed by Dr Whatt. 

Back home, both Mr and Mrs Cho agreed with the gynae's advice. Mrs Cho reasoned with her son "Kyu, think of your baby and Wook's wellbeing as a whole. It's just two or three weeks, it's not like it's three months. Wook can rest and on weekends, we can drive her around to show the city". 

"I will missed her terribly omma. I will get very worried if she's not with me" 

"Kyu, I'll be okay. I can text you everyday or we can call each other. And like what ommonim said, it's only for 3 weeks" 

Kyuhyun sighed. They might be separated longer if his acquisition project got delayed. How would he going to survive without seeing his wife face? She has been his strength and just hugging her would give him a total energy recharge and he would feel much better afterwards. 

Ryeowook reached for his hand, making Kyuhyun looked up at her. He still had that worried look all over his face, so Ryeowook brought his hand to her tummy "We'll be okay and I promise you that I will take care of myself. Settle your work issues and come back here once everything is okay. We'll wait for you here..." 

Kyuhyun sighed again, and nodded "Okay". 

So, Kyuhyun left New York alone in his flight home, a few days later. With a heavy heart, he kissed Ryeowook, and kissed her tummy, and hugged her and told her that he would text her once he reached Incheon. 

The day was cloudy and it rains when his flight took off. He looked out the window and had to hold his tears, as the plane went further and further away from the love of his life.