Magician

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"I know a lot of things. But right now I don't."

Donghae remembers Hyukjae's words. It seems so long ago now.

He is perturbed after what Leeteuk told him. But really... Donghae shouldn't be too shocked. He's kind of known. So he's sad for Hyukjae.

The mannequin's always just wanted a normal life. Someone to love. Someone to be loved by. Now, he'll be anxious over this.

"He's very upset because he thinks you'll be upset and feel differently about him. He's cried a few times already with mom and dad and we've tried telling him it's okay, no serious harm was done, and that you'd never hate him for anything. He wanted us to keep it secret from you and we honestly tried to convince him you should know but... I don't know, just be nice asking him, Donghae... you're the most important to him, as you know..."

Donghae tries to put on a smile. He knocks on the bedroom door.

"Hyukkie..." he says. Kindly.

Hyukjae's in bed. Under the covers. He's faced away. Donghae knows he's awake. He carefully gets on the bed. Sits behind him.

"Hyukjae..." Donghae says. "If you're listening... I want you to know I'm not mad at you, okay?"

There's a stir from Hyukjae. Then the blanket's pulled. Hyukjae sits up. Slowly. His eyes are wide in surprise. But pink too. He's been crying...

"Y-You're not?" Hyukjae says.

"No," Donghae says. He takes his hand. "But I need you to tell me everything..."

"D-Didn't Teukkie--?" Hyukjae whispers. Guardedly. "H-He didn't tell you?"

"He did, but I want to hear it from you too."

Hyukjae's face collapses. He sobs. "I'm s-sorry, don't hate me, I'm sorry--"

"Hey, no... it's okay," Donghae reassures. He holds Hyukjae's cheeks. "I really don't think it's that bad, baby. We can talk about this and figure it out. That's what we've been doing all along, right?"

"B-But... what -- what did he tell you? I-I don't want to be a bad person..."

Donghae sighs. Smiles patiently. "You're not a bad person, Hyukkie. None of us think that. I will never think that, sweetheart."

"B-But I didn't w-want anyone to know and--what if I become a bad person?"

Donghae's expected this too. They've gone through it before. With his memories. Donghae feels he can answer him with certainty now.

"Hyukkie..." Donghae tugs Hyukjae into his arms. Sits against the headboard. "Let me ask you this first. Was... Hazel a bad person?"

The question startles Hyukjae. He moves his head. To blink tearfully up at him.

"Hazel?" Hyukjae says. "I... I don't think so? She was nice to me..."

"Okay, then I agree. She took you in and took care of you, right? You didn't know she was a magician... so she was a normal person around you, correct?"

Hyukjae nods slowly. Donghae wipes his cheek.

"Then... when she was in danger," Donghae says. Cautiously. "She gave her powers to you... and knowing that you could be in danger, she got those powers to protect you as a person and as a mannequin -- so no one can hurt you. I don't know if I can say... that what she did to you was right or not... but she probably didn't have any other choice? Or time?"

Hyukjae nods. His eyes drop. "It was... very sudden. She woke me up a-and said we had to go..."

"I'm so sorry, baby." Donghae pecks his head. "But I think... whatever she may have been doing... with her powers or her life away from you... her spell on you was meant to keep those powers safe from others too. People like Helen and her husband couldn't take them... even when they tried several times and got you to live with them..."

"Only someone who truly cared about me and loved me could help me regain myself... and then those powers..."

"Yes... so she wanted happiness for you..." Donghae says. Smiles. "And I think she knew... that you're such a sweet thing and that you wouldn't use those powers in a bad way..."

Hyukjae starts crying again.

"Hyukkie..."

"B-But I did use them in a bad way," Hyukjae says. "I m-made those storms happen--"

"No, that was for your protection and you weren't aware of it," Donghae reminds. "It was so you could save yourself and so people could leave you alone and not hurt you. You didn't even know you had powers at that time because you didn't have your memories, right?"

Hyukjae sniffs. Quietens. His eyes fill up with more tears.

"B-But I have my memories now a-and the powers... and I used them... a-and now the Parks know too and t-they could think I'm b-bad and they could start being scared of me..."

Donghae wipes his tears. Kisses his lips.

"You know they don't think that. Do you not believe them? Baby, they know you're a mannequin and it was Mr. Park who dug up all the articles about you. I'm sure they'd already assumed you have some magic. Did they seem scared of you? Or angry?"

"No... I d-don't know... but they could change their mind... t-they could see something worse from me and think I'm dangerous..."

Donghae's chest clenches. Hyukjae can't help feeling like that. After what Helen and Jungseo put him through.

But Leeteuk really didn't give Donghae that impression.

Donghae says, "I understand that you'd be scared, Hyukjae. So that's why I need you to tell me everything, okay?"

Hyukjae's reluctant. His lip's between his teeth.

"Sweetheart, I'm not angry or upset," Donghae repeats. "I won't be, I don't think you're a bad person, and I will not hate you or judge you for anything."

"W-Why?"

"Because Leeteuk told me it was okay, and because I know you." Donghae gives his bitten lips another soft kiss. "Why would I be surprised that you have powers and that you can use them? How else would your existence even make sense? Besides, you'd already told me this yourself. You have Hazel's powers. I didn't ask you to tell me more because you've been terrified of people wanting to hurt you for these secrets..."

Hyukjae whimpers. Wipes his tears.

"I... I wanted to hide this a-and not tell anyone... but n-now..."

"I know, baby, and I understand that. Of course you'd be afraid of letting anyone find out. That's why I also know you didn't do any of this on purpose or to hurt anyone. So let's start at the beginning. What exactly happened?"

Hyukjae shifts. Slowly. Sits up. Folds his legs. He rubs his eyes. Sniffles.

"It's just... there in my head now," Hyukjae says. "Like a closed book. I know it's present and I didn't want to touch it. It's not like my memories... those would come when they did and... they'd bother me when they were trying to come and I c-couldn't understand them. But this is just there and it felt... easy to access and easy to ignore. I thought it meant I could... open the book and look inside it or keep it closed. I didn't want to open it or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter