Undeserved

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Hyukjae sneezes. Sniffles. Coughs. He feels tired.

Donghae can't take him anywhere. He brings Hyukjae hot food. Drinks. He lets him stay in bed. Donghae has to drag a side table. His drawing materials. To sit by the bed. He works there.

Hyukjae slept soundly last night. Mostly.

He stirred a few times. Gasped once. Breathed rapidly. Donghae heard. Held him securely. Got him back to sleep. Then he was fine.

But Hyukjae woke up with a headache. He still wanted to do everything. To wash up. Get dressed. Help Donghae with breakfast. Eat in the kitchen. 

After doing all that... it was too much. Donghae helped him back to bed. Gave him more medicine. Told him to rest.

 

---

 

 

"Hae..." Hyukjae says.

Donghae looks up. He's almost finished the whole chapter.

"Yes, baby? You're up? How are you feeling?"

"Thirsty..."

"One moment."

"Noo..." Hyukjae says. Grabs his sleeve. "Put the thing on me... I don't want to run away..."

"But how am I going to get you water?"

"No, to the bed..." Hyukjae says.

Donghae gets the handcuffs out of the drawer. Finds a way to cuff Hyukjae to the bed.

"There. Is that okay? Does it hurt?"

"No," Hyukjae says. "Thanks."

Donghae gets a pitcher of water. Places it on the bedside. Helps Hyukjae drink half a glass.

"Are you working?" Hyukjae asks.

"Yes, I was."

"I'm sorry..."

"No, how's your throat?" Donghae feels his face. "You're not too warm. I don't think you have a fever."

Hyukjae blinks heavily. Holds his arm. "Can you hug me?"

Donghae has to free his hand. Then he shifts onto the bed. Pulls Hyukjae close. Wraps his arms around him.

"Tell me what's the matter, sweetheart."

"I don't know... I have so many dreams... people... faces... places... it's like a jigsaw puzzle... I don't understand anything..."

Donghae kisses his head. Breathes the scent of his hair.

"Let's understand it together," Donghae says. "You said... there is someone you call mother?"

"No..." Hyukjae says. "I see her... and she says, you can call me mother. She looks down at me... maybe I was small?"

Donghae frowns. "Is she standing?"

"Yeah... it's different than Mama Saeron's house. Or... anything like here... it feels... like a long time ago... her clothes are different..."

"Hyukjae..." Donghae says. his back gently. "Mr. Park said that... the place you went to... where I found you, turned into a mannequin, that was a village... around two hundred years ago... maybe that's what you're dreaming about..."

"A village?" Hyukjae says. Raises his head. His eyes are wary.

"Leeteuk said... it was Soori... or something like that..."

Donghae swallows. Hyukjae's eyes see faraway. Then fill up with tears.

"Baby? Sweetheart," Donghae says. Cups his face. Kisses his lips. "What is it? You're supposed to stay with me. I love you, Hyukjae -- don't go, don't let that hurt you. Please."

Hyukjae's eyes see his. He takes in a breath. "Hae..."

"Yes, love..."

"Hae... it feels like... I know it... oh..." Hyukjae whispers. Closes his eyes. Lays his head on Donghae's shoulder. "I know it... tell me more..."

Donghae's afraid to. But he does. He tells him everything. That he's learned from Leeteuk. From Mr. Park.

 

---

 

"Helen?"

"Yeah. Mr. Park said that. And the man... he mentioned Jungseo..."

"And their store..."

"Yes, Lenseo..."

Hyukjae's voice is soft. Weak. Donghae wants to lay him down. Get him back to sleep. But whenever he tries to peer at his face... Hyukjae grabs him. His eyes open. Stare into nothing.

"It all feels... familiar," Hyukjae whispers. "Like I know... but I can't match their faces... a-and..."

Donghae's anxious for Hyukjae. He his hair.

"And what, baby?"

"I feel so... scared..."

"Of what, Hyukkie?" Donghae says. Hugs him closer to his chest. "I'm here. You're here too. This is your life now, okay? With me and the Parks and Mama Saeron. I'm waiting until you're better so you can meet my brother and his family. They'll love you so much."

"They will?"

"Yes," Donghae says. Smiles. Places a long kiss on his lips. "Baby, it's sad and we don't know what happened in your past... but that's the thing..."

"It's in the past," Hyukjae mumbles.

"Yes. There's nothing you can do... or I can do... to change it or make it better or... or take you back there to the people you knew. It's always going to be in the past, sweetie. It's hard for you, I know. I'm sorry, Hyukkie... you're not there, you can't be, but you're here, w-where I want you and need you..."

Donghae's feeling desperation again. To make it clear to Hyukjae. So that he doesn't chase whatever's in his memories.

He can't lose Hyukjae...

"A-And you're the one giving me love," Hyukjae says. Looks up. Touches his cheek affectionately.

Donghae leans into his palm. "Because you deserve love and happiness, sweetheart."

"You deserve that more..."

"Then please stay with me," Donghae begs. "Stay human... stay here, for me... I'll give you all the love I have, for my whole life..."

"I w-want to," Hyukjae says. He hugs Donghae's neck. Presses kisses with his soft lips. "I will. For you, Hae. You give me your love and I'll give you all of mine. Okay?"

Donghae chuckles. His eyes are tearful.

Hyukjae's so sweet. 

"Okay, darling."

 

---

 

Hyukjae falls asleep in his arms. Donghae carefully clicks his wrist to the bed. He doesn't want Hyukjae whining about it. Later.

The fear makes Donghae stay, too. By the bed. He continues work. He gets hungry. Knows Hyukjae must be too. But he can't go cook. Hyukjae had opened all the locks last time. He can reach over to Donghae's side now. Find the key. Get out and leave... while Donghae's cooking.

He doesn't know if Hyukjae's got any appetite yet.

So Donghae orders.

He wakes Hyukjae later. Gently. He has the bag of food. Held up. Hyukjae's eyes widen. He sits up. His hands reach out to grab it.

He's stopped by the handcuff.

"Oh, sorry," Donghae says. He pecks Hyukjae's cheek. Uncuffs him. Helps him sit up. Stand. Takes him to the kitchen.

Donghae thought... Hyukjae was getting better. There was less of the snivels. But they come back.

Hyukjae then says his head hurts. He wants to eat. Half the burger is in his hands. But he lowers it. Pouts. Appears sorry.

"Hae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter