Lost

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Donghae? Did you hear me?"

He looks at Leeteuk. Because he's tilted Donghae's face up.

"Y-Yeah. No. Sorry..."

Leeteuk sits down. Puts his phone away.

"That's okay. Dad's contacted a few officers. Close friends. They'll help us look now."

"Did you--" Donghae stands. Hurries to his shelves. "You can show them m-my sketches. I have many portraits of him. P-Please give them--"

"Donghae." Leeteuk pulls his arm. Brings him back to the couch again. "You showed them to me. I've sent them all to dad. They know what he looks like and they know his name. That's enough for them to start somewhere. It's okay."

Donghae stares. He realizes. He had his sketchbooks on the table. Yes. He showed them to Leeteuk. The previous night.

It's been... over twenty-four hours...

"I... I h-have to go out and look for him again..." Donghae whispers. "He doesn't know a-anything..."

"Donghae, you need to stay here now. Let us look. Dad's friends will be in touch with him. Hyukjae could come back here. Please, Hae..."

Donghae shakes his head. He's crying again.

"I c-can't stay here just waiting," he says. "It's cold out there. It's dark. He d-didn't even have dinner." Or breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. It's been a whole day. "He m-must be lost and hungry..."

"Donghae. I know. I know it looks bad and... we're all worried. But we've got help now, okay? You need to stay here. You have to get some rest and look after yourself..."

"No... no," Donghae says. Pushes Leeteuk away. "I m-must look for him. It's been too long--"

"And what if he comes here and you're out there?"

"I'll... I'll write him a note. Oh, I should leave him food t-too--"

"Donghae!"

His head spins. Pounds. 

"This is what I mean..." Leeteuk says. He helps Donghae to the couch. "Please stay here. Please eat. Or I'm calling your brother! You can't help Hyukjae if you're like this -- stop!" Leeteuk pushes him down again. "Donghae. I'm serious. I'll take you to mom. She'll watch you while I stay here to wait for Hyukjae. So make your choice."

Donghae sobs.

"I d-don't want to lose him... h-have I lost him, Teukkie? Forever?"

"Donghae, no. We will find him. I know we will. Wait. Just a minute. I'm going to get you something to eat. Don't move."

Leeteuk steps away. Towards the kitchen. Donghae just stares up. Sniffles.

Is it because Donghae... gave up on holding back? Because Donghae kissed him? Told him he loved him?

It wasn't that different than all the other times. Why did this happen now?

Hyukjae gets in that state... when he's in a deep sleep. He was just napping then. So why? What made it happen?

Is Donghae supposed to force himself to stop? Completely? Can't he love Hyukjae anymore?

But wouldn't he turn into a mannequin?

Donghae gasps. Sits up. "Teukkie!"

"It was just the microwave!" Leeteuk says. Runs back. He tries to push Donghae down. "It's not the door!"

Donghae takes him arm. "Teukkie! We have to tell someone!"

"What?"

"Hyukjae. He's... what if he turns into a mannequin? W-When... when he's scared or... he thinks someone will hurt him... or d-doesn't want him...?"

Leeteuk's eyes go wide. "Oh..."

 

----

 

Donghae's making himself eat. Trying to stay calm. He's listening to Leeteuk explain things to his father.

Hyukjae might be a mannequin. Somewhere.

Leeteuk sounds impatient. His father doesn't believe him...

"No, of course not, dad. You don't tell them he's a mannequin, but -- dad, I'm saying if they could ask around and get the information to you. To us. So we could go to those locations. I understand, dad, but he really can turn into a mannequin and we can't let anyone else get him -- just tell them to ask and tell you what they find, please? Wherever he's been seen... so we know where to look..."

Donghae forces his bite down. Gulps water. It feels stuck. He gets up. His eyes are filling with tears again. 

"Teukkie..." he says. Pulls the other's sleeve. "I have to go look for him."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter