Confusion

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Grandma Park's now in the living room. Her hand holds Hyukjae's sleeve whenever he moves. But Hyukjae's bright and sweet. Sticks close to her. Murmurs softly. Sends smiles to Donghae. Whenever he notices him looking.

The rest of the family are confused. Concerned. Leeteuk's father was very surprised. To see Hyukjae with his mother.

Mrs. Park quietly pulled him to the kitchen. Donghae had nervously explained it. That Hyukjae's a friend of Grandma Park.

Leeteuk's parents are now speaking in the kitchen. They're eyeing the two in the living room. And Donghae and Leeteuk. Who have stayed in the hallway.

Leeteuk arrived a few minutes ago. Seconds after Donghae was going to act in panic. He wanted to grab Hyukjae and leave.

Leeteuk left his Shimkoong at a dog cafe this time. Donghae's relieved about that. Grandma Park's emotional as is. Happy. But emotional. Hyukjae hasn't become comfortable with the dog yet either.

"Why'd you come here without me?" Leeteuk whispers.

"I just wanted to get it over with. She's fine with him, see? She recognized him."

Leeteuk looks back at the two on the sofa. He's suspicious. Still not believing this.

"You didn't say anything about him being a mannequin, right? He didn't say that to her, did he?"

"She knows him, Teukkie. He doesn't need to."

"What if she starts talking about it?"

"Would she?"

"I don't know. She has said his name and mentioned mannequin before..."

"Your parents keep looking strangely at Hyukjae too... your mom said he looked familiar..."

Leeteuk's uneasy.

"Well, they had to take care of Grandma's house to sell it, so they've seen the mannequin a few times. This is really weird, Donghae, I don't know what to tell them. If they hadn't seen the mannequin and grandma talked about it, we could just blame it on old age but..."

Donghae's nervous too. Not just about this. But that Grandma Park seems to... not want Hyukjae out of her sight. That's why Leeteuk's parents just let him sit there. Didn't ask him many questions. They didn't want her to get upset.

"Hae..." Leeteuk says. Touches his elbow. His father's heading towards them. Donghae curses mentally.

Since he noticed how Grandma Park has been clinging to Hyukjae... he has only been thinking of what excuse to use. To get Hyukjae out of here. Fast.

"Donghae," Mr. Park says. Puts on a quick smile. "Um, mind telling me where she knows this young man from? I feel like I've seen him, but I just can't recall when and where..."

Donghae exhanges a look with Leeteuk.

"Oh, uh... Hyukjae said... his parents knew her and her husband?"

Mr. Park frowns. Leeteuk's mother comes to stand next to him. 

"I think..." Donghae says. "He looks familiar to you two b-because... there used to be a mannequin that... looked like Hyukjae? Teukkie's grandfather got it from Hyukjae's dad, who made it, and he... looks like him?"

Leeteuk's staring. His parents seem lost. Even more troubled.

"Interesting..." Mr. Park says. "I've never... heard of this... who is his family?"

"Oh, um, they're Lees," Donghae says unhelpfully. "Hyukjae's parents have passed away... b-but he visited Grandma Park before... when he was younger and... then had to leave for school so he hasn't seen her for a long time..."

"Oh, could that be when her health got worse?" Mrs. Park tells her husband. Quietly. "The boy calls her Mama Saeron... and keeps talking about Papa Sangchul..."

Mr. Park's frown deepens.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Park, Mrs. Park," Donghae says quickly. "Hyukjae and I really have to go now. We, uh, we have an... appointment! Appointment to get to..." He looks at Leeteuk for help.

"Oh," Leeteuk says. Steps aside so Donghae will be able to slip past. "You'll come for dinner another time, right?"

"Yes!" Donghae says. "I just have a lot of work to do a-and I've fallen behind so..." He sees Hyukjae. Who's still with his Mama Saeron. He turns back to the Parks. "Excuse me, c-could you... help me get Hyukjae?"

Mr. Park blinks. "Oh, yes..."

Donghae's heart is beating in worry. He needs to take Hyukjae and get out. Without problems.

He stops quietly in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter