Leeteuk

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hyukjae's hugging Donghae's arm. He's half hiding behind him. Both are on the couch. They're facing Leeteuk.

"It's okay," Donghae repeats. Pecks Hyukjae's head. "She won't hurt you. She can't."

Hyukjae moves a little. Shimkoong growls. The poor guy squeaks. Hides further.

"Koongie," Leeteuk says tiredly. "Be nice, princess."

The little white dog turns docile. Nudges his hand. Leeteuk starts her.

"Teukkie..." Donghae says. "I love her but... you know what she's like with him... maybe you shouldn't have brought her..."

"I couldn't leave her with my parents today. She's loud with Grandma too and she's already unwell..."

Hyukjae peeks from behind Donghae. "W-Who? Koongie or Mama Saeron--"

Shimkoong barks. Hyukjae grips Donghae hard. Covers his face in his shoulder.

"Koongie..." Donghae says. Upset. He doesn't want Hyukjae getting scared. It's making Donghae scared. He Hyukjae's arm. Kisses his head again. "I'm sorry, Hyukkie. Please just ignore her."

Hyukjae hides himself more. 

"Mama... Saeron?" Leeteuk says.

"Oh, yeah. He calls her that. Hyukkie, you said she told you to call her that?"

Hyukjae nods against him.

"What?" Leeteuk says.  "You know my grandmother? How?"

"Yes," Donghae answers for Hyukjae. He's worried Leeteuk's tone will hurt him. "I told you, Teukkie... and you agreed... that we should get your grandma to come here, so they can both see each other... that's why you said you wanted to see him first... right?"

Leeteuk removes his hands from Shimkoong.

"To be honest, I came here to figure out how you fooled me into thinking that's the mannequin I'd brought. Is it makeup? Did you create a mask? Where did the actual mannequin go?"

Donghae reaches back for Hyukjae's hand.

"Teukkie... why would I go to such lengths?"

"Yes, that's what I don't understand..."

"You've just been saying.. yes and okay... to everything... for what? To come here and let me reveal some trick to you? Did you think... I was acting? Or did you think I was going crazy?"

Donghae's voice shakes. He's going to cry. But how will Hyukjae react to that? What if he starts crying? Would he think he's not wanted? That he's hurting Donghae?

"Donghae..." Teukkie says. Uneasy. His dog gets restless too. Looks around. 

Donghae's eyes have teared up. He's not sure what to do now. Leeteuk has Hyukjae in front of him. He's alive. Moving. Speaking.

But he doesn't believe them.

"Hae's not crazy..." Hyukjae says suddenly.

Koongie makes an unfriendly sound.

"He's a good man. The best ever," Hyukjae keeps going. "I was brought to Mama Saeron by Papa Sangchul -- your grandfather... we read books together. You weren't around because it was a long time ago. You weren't even born. Right, Hae? Mama Saeron would make clothes... my white shirt... oh, Hae, where is my white shirt?"

"It... should be with your other clothes, I think?"

Hyukjae moves. To bring it probably. But Shimkoong barks. He sits back down.

"Stop... you're being a bad dog!" Hyukjae says. His voice trembles. "And you do this to Mama Saeron too? You're mean--"

Koongie barks more. Leeteuk has to hold her. Shush her gently. Hyukjae doesn't raise his head this time. Just talks.

"Mama Saeron made that white shirt for me... she had a sewing machine and she worked in the attic. She would make me wear the clothes she made. Then she'd tell Papa Sangchul to buy her more cloth. She had so much... Papa Sangchul got her the wrong fabric one time... she had to go change it... but... but Papa Sangchul got sick when she was gone... he was hurting a lot and he fell... there was blood... and he stopped living..."

Hyukjae's voice wavers. Sniffs. Donghae hugs him with one arm.

"B-But I didn't know what to do... Mama Saeron was so scared when she came... she got mad at me... and then other people came and took them and... I went back to the attic because I was scared, too... and I waited... but Mama Saeron didn't come back to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter