Crushed

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Hyukjae's eyes are still open.

That is crushing Donghae.

If Hyukjae's eyes were closed... even if he's sitting like this... curled and tight... then Donghae could at least think: he's sleeping.

But this way it's different. It shows. Hyukjae turned mannequin out of fear. Out of... not wanting to get hurt. He was expecting hurt.

From Donghae.

It's painful.

"Baby," Donghae says. His voice's low. Raspy. He's been crying for over a day. "Please come back."

He's scared. Because Hyukjae might not turn human. Might not come back. Donghae doesn't know everything that happened before. All the times Hyukjae turned mannequin. Like with Leeteuk's grandparents. Or before that. But he understood that Hyukjae must've stopped at some point. He didn't turn human again.

That's why Donghae has him now. And he's failed too.

He wipes his eyes. Leans close. Kisses his hard lips. He gets to his feet. His head spins. He almost falls.

 

----

 

He asks for extensions. Some time off. He sounds terrible on the phone. His editor's concerned. But agrees. Gives him as much time as he needs.

Donghae thanks him. He's tired. Anxious. He calls Leeteuk. Asks him to come over. His friend gets extremely worried too. He says he'll be right there.

 

----

 

Donghae has managed to wash up. A little. But he easily cries when passing by Hyukjae. Each time. So he knows he looks bad.

"Donghae!" Leeteuk says. Grabs his arm. His side. "What happened to you?"

 

----


It's hard explaining it to Leeteuk. Donghae can't get many words out. He keeps crying.

The other's very worried.

"Donghae... has work been getting to you? Why don't you take time off? You've been keeping to yourself a lot, lately... you know you don't do well alone. Why don't you go see your brother?"

Donghae shakes his head. Alone? He hasn't been alone. Maybe he will be alone now. Tears fill his eyes.

"Teukkie," he says. "Tell me about your grandmother..."

"My grandmother? W-What? Donghae... do you miss... your parents?"

Donghae smiles. It's been a long time. He does miss them. But not as painfully... crushingly... as when he was younger.

"Do you want to stay with my parents?" Leeteuk asks. His voice's soft. Warm.

"W-When did your grandfather pass away?" Donghae says.

Leeteuk's eyes show sadness. But for him. Donghae. Not the memory. He must think Donghae misses family. That he want to talk about it.

"It was when my parents were still in university. I wasn't born. He had a heart attack. Grandma wasn't the same afterwards."

"T-That would have been... hard for her..."

"Yeah. Dad said she stayed by herself. Didn't like company. Everyone was worried." Leeteuk pats his back. his hair. "Hae... do you want me to stay with you for a few days?"

Donghae shakes his head. "H-Has she said anything else? About... the mannequin? Or Hyukjae?"

Leeteuk frowns. "Actually... I wanted to speak to you about that." He looks up. Around the living room. Sees the mannequin stand. "Hey, where's your mannequin?"

"What did you want to speak to me about?"

"Ah... grandma asked me about... this Hyukjae? I'm not sure. Last time I talked to her, she got so upset, but mom called me saying grandma was asking about me. So I went to see her, and she asked if I'd seen... Hyukjae? I'm so confused. I wonder if the artist was a friend? Or a lover? She sounded mad at him first..."

Donghae gets to his feet. His head spins again. He has closed the door of his bedroom. But he can't. He can't not see. Not check. If Hyukjae is back.

"Where are you going?" Leeteuk says. Supports him.

"Tell her you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter