Normal

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

They don't get to talk much. Donghae would explain more. To Teukkie. But Donghae's preoccupied with Hyukjae. Because the mannequin's too shocked. Confused. A bit scared. He's still crying.

Donghae's similar. He's too emotional. But relieved. That Hyukjae's back. That he still holds all memories of Donghae. He's still okay with him.

Donghae's glad when Leeteuk reluctantly excuses himself. He tells Donghae he'll call.

 

---

 

He hugs Hyukjae for a long time. Repeats his previous words to him.

No, I'm not mad at you. Don't say sorry. Yes, of course, I wanted to see you. I missed you. I was waiting for you. Don't leave me for that long again. Please.

He cries with him. Doesn't want to let him go--

Until Hyukjae's stomach growls. It makes the creature pull back. Cutely touch his own middle.

Donghae laughs. He's so delighted. The first thing he always does with Hyukjae is feed him. But today they've just sat. They cried. Talked incoherently. No wonder Hyukjae's hungry. 

He brushes away Hyukjae's black hair. Cups his pretty face. Kisses his forehead. His adorable eyes that he missed. His soft pouty mouth. Donghae his cheeks.

"Come on, then. Let's go eat."

Hyukjae nods. He's still a little timid. Bewildered. He helps Donghae to his feet.

Donghae himself has only been eating around Leeteuk. To not make him worry more. But he hasn't had an appetite.

This time he does. Because Hyukjae's eating. It makes him want to eat too. He can't stop smiling.

He's having these moments again with Hyukjae.

The past day... the past week... it feels like some nightmare. This feels normal. Feels wonderful.

Hyukjae's slowly becoming calmer too. He's looking better. Less lost and shaken. His tears are disappearing. His cheeks are full of food. Donghae does the same. He wipes his own eyes to eat as much as he can.

 

But Hyukjae's the faster eater. He finishes. Sits there to observe Donghae.

"Hae..." Hyukjae says. His voice's soft. "Why... do you look like this?"

Oh... he's noticed. He'll be worried now.

"I'm okay, baby," Donghae says. Smiles. "Just tired."

"T-Tired?" Hyukjae says. Gets to his feet. Comes to hold Donghae's face. Peers at it. "Oh no, baby, you have to sleep! You must rest!"

That's how Donghae soon ends up in bed. Hyukjae tells him the importance of resting. They're the very things Donghae told him a week ago. When Hyukjae simply couldn't and wouldn't sleep.

Hyukjae pulls the blanket up to Donghae's neck. Smooths it. Pats it. Kisses Donghae's head.

"Sleep, okay?" he says. A concerned pout's on his lips. "I'm going to clean! There's dishes and lots of laundry too! I saw!"

He scurries away.

Donghae sniffs. But chuckles. He kept leaving some chores all week. When Leeteuk wasn't around. He'd choose to sit in front of the mannequin instead. Speak to him.

He turns in bed. Stares ahead. He's aware of his heartbeat. The feelings in him. 

It's those few minutes... of Hyukjae somewhere in the house...

It makes Donghae realize... he's gotten very scared.

He remembers Hyukjae's expression. As mannequin. Remembers how he became cold. Statue-like. How he was stuck that way. And Donghae didn't know if he'll ever come back.

He tries to lie still. Listen. To the sounds Hyukjae's making. There's clanks. Water. His feet pad around.

But then it all stops.

Donghae feels his heart beating louder. His breathing gets rapid. He sits up.

"H-Hyukkie?" he calls.

He hears Hyukjae's voice. "Yeah?"

He breathes in. To calm himself. He feels the shake in his hands.

Hyukjae comes back into the room. His footsteps are quick. He's holding a pile of folded laundry. He's beaming.

"The dryer was done!" he says.

"G-Great. Just put it somewhere in the closet," Donghae says. Holds out his hand already. He's still trembling.

"But I can put it where you need," Hyukjae says. Pushes the closet door open.

"No, just l-leave it in there for now... please..."

Hyukjae glances at him. At his hand. Worry fills his face. He quickly places the clothes inside. Hurries to take Donghae's hand.

Donghae pulls him closer. Onto the bed. Into his lap. He wraps his arms around him. Nuzzles his neck.

Oh, he's soft. He's warm. He is alive.

This feels better. Much better.

He sighs.

"Donghae..." Hyukjae says. "I didn't finish the dishes..."

"It's okay," Donghae says. He's aware that Hyukjae enjoys doing the dishes. But he can't let him go now. "Leave them. M-Maybe you can do them to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter