Mannequin

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Any news?"

Leeteuk passes Shimkoong to his mother. Shakes his head.

"I'll go see him again. But no, still the same..."

His mother sighs. She's saddened. She looks over at his father. He's on his laptop. Deeply frowning. He has reading glasses on. A heavy file's beside him. He notices Leeteuk's gaze.

"Teukkie," he says. "Look after him. Let us know, please. I'll let you know whatever I find too..."

"Okay, dad. How is grandma?"

"She's okay," his mother says. "Just don't mention Hyukjae to her..."

"Right. I'll go see her quick -- no, Koongie, be a good girl. Stay."

 

---

 

Donghae sits in front of Hyukjae. Every single day. He does not leave him. Except for short minutes. To get things. To grab food.

It's been over a week now.

They brought Hyukjae in Mr. Park's car. They had to lower the seats. The man couldn't believe it. But Donghae paid him no mind then. Just told him to drive them home.

Donghae's carefully cleaned Hyukjae's hands. His feet. His hair. However much he could. He used a wet cloth.

There were tears in Hyukjae's clothes. A large rip's on the side of his shirt. But there were no signs of anything else. Hyukjae's position is of someone scared. Protective of himself. But not defensive. He was not... in the midst of an attack.

That gave Donghae the tiniest relief. Hyukjae clearly ran. Hid. Then reverted to mannequin.

It makes Donghae tear up. Everytime he thinks of it. Hyukjae must've been so terrified. This experience would've hurt him even more.

 

"I'm sorry, I can't..." Donghae says. He's on the phone. His brother has called. He's worried about Donghae. Because Donghae hasn't gone to see them. For too long now. Since he first got Hyukjae, actually...

"Are you okay, Hae?"

"Yes. I'm okay." Donghae takes a deep breath. He's still in front of Hyukjae. He's watching the top of his head. "I... I'm taking care of someone very important to me right now... so I n-need to stay here..."

"Someone?" Donghwa says. With surprise. "I thought you were overworking yourself again -- who is this someone, kid? Why haven't you told me?"

Donghae smiles. "His name is Hyukjae..."

"Hyukjae?" Donghwa says. His voice's happy. "You like him?"

"Yes. Very much. I love him."

"Oh my god -- honey!"

Donghae laughs quietly.

"We have to come see you soon--"

"No," Donghae cuts. "Donghwa, please, n-not now. Not soon. He's... he's sick. You can't bring your kids... I'll bring him to see all of you when he's better. I promise."

"What's... wrong with him?" Donghwa says in concern.

Donghae bites his lip. Sniffles.

"Hae... what's wrong, kid? A-Are you able to handle it? You're scaring me -- how bad is it?"

"I can, yeah," Donghae says. "It'll be okay. He'll be fine. If I just stay with him and take care of him, he will be okay."

"Please tell me what we can do, Hae..."

"Thank you," Donghae says. "Teukkie's helping me. His whole family."

Donghwa sighs. "Okay, that's good..."

Donghae promises. To keep him updated. To call him often.

He puts his phone down beside him.

"My brother would love you," Donghae tells Hyukjae's statue form. "Hana and little Rae will too. I need to take those books to them." Donghae chuckles. "The ones that you found too boring. When you turn back and feel okay... let's go see them, okay?"

Hyukjae stays frozen. Donghae wipes his own cheeks.

"Teukkie's gonna come soon. I better eat or he'll scold me." He pecks Hyukjae's head. Stands. "I'll make something for you too, love. I'll bring it to you, okay? Wait for me."

 

---

 

Leeteuk places the bags on the counter. He walks back to Donghae.

The other is sitting in front of Hyukjae. There's a sketchbook beside him. Pencils and pens. A pillow. Blanket.

Leeteuk's heart squeezes.

"Do you want me to help you take it -- him, um, to your room?"

Donghae turns his head. "Should I?"

Leeteuk sits beside him. "Well... then you could sleep in your bed, I mean..."

Donghae smiles. His eyes are bloodshot. He constantly cr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter