Hazel

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Donghae's looking at rings. Bracelets. He's thinking of how nice they would look. On Hyukjae's pretty hands.

"Hae! Hae! Baby, can I buy you something?"

Donghae turns. Hyukjae's smiling with gums. His hands are hidden behind his back.

"Buy me something?" Donghae says.

Hyukjae nods. Excitedly.

"What do you want to buy me?"

"It's a surprise! I can't tell you!"

"Okay. But how will you buy it for me?"

Hyukjae's gums disappear. "Oh, yeah... could you give me some money... so I could buy it for you?"

Donghae bites his lip. To not laugh. Hyukjae's cheeks turn pink. He's embarrassed. But very cute.

"Of course, sweetheart," Donghae says. Clears his throat. Takes out his wallet. Hands him all the cash he has. "I hope this is enough?"

Hyukjae takes the money with one hand. Blinks down at it. Nods.

"I think it is. Wait here, Hae."

Hyukjae turns slowly. He's still hiding whatever it is. That he's picked out for Donghae. He walks up to the cashier. Donghae doesn't try to see. He just wants to make sure. That Hyukjae can manage the purchase.

They're at a jewelry and accessories store. At the mall. So Donghae already has an idea of what Hyukjae could've gotten for him. They were walking past the store... when Hyukjae pulled his arm. He pointed to the shiny products in the display.

"Would you like a bag?"

Donghae takes a step closer. He sees Hyukjae nod. He's holding the change in his hand. They're bills and coins. The man gives Hyukjae a small blue bag. Donghae hears the happiness in Hyukjae's voice. He thanks him. Turns beaming. Hops back to Donghae.

"Okay! I got it!" Hyukjae dumps the change. Into Donghae's hands. "Thank you, Hae!"

"You did really well," Donghae says. He puts the money back in his wallet. Slips the coins into Hyukjae's jeans' pockets. Makes a mental note to himself. He should get Hyukjae something to carry money.

"Is that for me?" Hyukjae says. Pats his pocket.

"Yes, you might need it."

"Okay! Oh, and did you watch me? When I bought the -- um, the gift?" Hyukjae's proud.

"Yes. You didn't even look back at me."

"Because I knew what to do!"

Donghae takes his hand. Pecks his cheek. "Let's go home now. You have to see--"

Hyukjae gasps. "Mama Saeron!"

"Yes, don't worry, you're not late. We can just drop off your stuff at home first, okay?"

"Okay," Hyukjae says. "I'll give you this after! I have to... um... put it together. You can't look at it when I'm gone! I have to do that before I give it to you!"

Put it together? What would need putting together?

Donghae smiles at him. "I won't look at it, baby. You can hide it if you want. Hey, we have a few minutes... do you want an ice cream cone for the way back?"

Hyukjae's face lights up. "Yes! Can I pay? Can I buy it for you too? I have money now!"

Donghae laughs. "Yes, please."

 

----

 

Hyukjae's been getting those dreams. Not nightmares. Just the strange memories. Confusing ones.

Donghae's afraid. But so is Hyukjae.

He has reminded Hyukjae. Of what he'd told him. It's in the past. Hyukjae needs to focus on now. Try not to get affected. Too lost. About whatever it is. He can just let it come. But not let it take Hyukjae with it.

Donghae tries to help. However he can.

He keep Hyukjae occupied. So he's not thinking too much. Digging up whatever is in his head. Donghae's been taking him out. Every day.

Before... they usually went out for groceries. Snacks. Walks. Or visited the Parks.

They do that too. But Donghae's taken him on some dates the past week. Around the city.

It got Hyukjae very interested. They've gone to three restaurants so far. Donghae's brought him to this mall twice. Once by car. Then by subway. He took him to a street market too. Donghae has been letting him pay for some food. He alwaya stands beside him. Hands him money.

Donghae thinks... it has helped. Hyukjae's so happy. He thinks about all he's done that day. Talks about it. Asks.

His days are busier. His attention's... on what's around him. Whatever's happening. In the present.

Yesterday, Hyukjae woke up with his expression troubled. But when Donghae told them their plan for the day... Hyukjae's face brightened.

This has also meant... Donghae doesn't get time to work. He thinks he'll fall behind soon. Those days when Hyukjae was mannequin... Donghae had gotten a lot done. So he's okay. For now. But his deadlines are creeping up... and Donghae's barely been getting two pages per day.

Maybe he'll stay up some nights. Or he'll let Hyukjae stay at the Parks longer.

 

---

 

Donghae's told Mrs. Park about Hyukjae's dreams. That it was this... last time... that made Hyukjae start sleep walking. Disappearing.

Since Hyukjae's awake... it should be okay. But he just wants her to inform him. Of anything strange. To keep an eye on Hyukjae.

She's very understanding.

Donghae is so thankful. To have all the Parks there. For him and Hyukjae. Mr. Park hasn't told him anything new. But he always asks about Hyukjae. Talks to Hyukjae. Whenever he's home.

The more Hyukjae remembers... dreams... or if he starts sleep walking and talking...

Donghae knows: He'll need to tell him everything Mr. Park shared about the old village.

 

---

 

Donghae tries to get some work done. In the hours Hyukjae stays at the Parks

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter