The Parks

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Leeteuk's known Donghae for years. He's seen him go through so much. He lost his parents. Struggled through school. Dropped out twice from college. He was too lonely. Depressed. Leeteuk's seen him grow. Seen him keep trying. Again and again. Determined. He's watched him become independent. Succeed. Donghae worked hard. Kept a positive outlook.

Leeteuk's always felt like taking care of him. He's known Donghae experienced sadness and pain. But he always stayed kind. Loving. Generous. Bright.

It is deeply saddening. To think behind his adorable laughs... smiles... childish jokes... this talented and skillful artist... was slowly going mad?

Leeteuk thinks he's failed as a friend...

 

-----

 

But it doesn't make sense. It's not right.

 

----

 

Leeteuk spends more and more hours with Donghae all week. He takes breaks from work. Hopes that seeing him often... could help Donghae get some sanity back.

Hasn't the guy been stuck at home a lot? He's been saying he's working...

It is true. Yes. He does that often. Donghae takes a few days just being home. Getting work done.

But not for too long. Donghae's a person who gets lonely. Gets blue. Leeteuk's contacted their mutual friends. Heard they haven't been seeing Donghae as much either. It's been less and less...

All since... Leeteuk dropped off that mannequin...

 

-----

 

Little Shimkoong's curious. She's about to be fussy in her bag. They haven't even reached the door.

Leeteuk her white head. "Princess... I'll leave you with mom for a couple hours, okay?"

She wiggles. Tries to climb out of the bag.

"Koongie... it's just mom and dad... and grandma. You'll be good this time, right?"

He's taking her to his parents' house. Because he can't take her with him to see Donghae...

Leeteuk has taken Koongie to Donghae's. She knows Donghae. Is used to Donghae. The man likes her. So Leeteuk didn't think it would be a problem.

But it was a problem. Yesterday and the day before. Because of that... mannequin. Donghae calls it Hyukjae.

The same name his grandmother brought up. Then which Leeteuk stupidly mentioned to Donghae...

It's funny. He realizes. The last time he took Shimkoong to Donghae's... was a few days before Leeteuk brought him the mannequin...

Oh, Leeteuk has really had a big hand in causing this... hasn't he?

Donghae's been the same all week. He eats. Talks. Sleeps. Or... he says he does. And he keeps crying over that mannequin. 

Leeteuk's wanted to do something. Like, fix the mannequin maybe.

He was the one who'd moved the mannequin out of his grandmother's attic. Its... arms... legs... did not seem... like they could really be moved. But he did not try too hard. For fear of damaging it.

This time he will check. Just even moving the mannequin could bring some change to Donghae. He could make it stand. Outside the bedroom.

But... those wide eyes... full of fear...

Leeteuk's wondered many times... how Donghae did that...

"Ohhh...." he says to Shimkoong. "I feel so dumb..."

Donghae's an artist!

"He moved the mannequin. Painted its face. Simple!"

Then Leeteuk feels scared suddenly. Donghae painted that expression on it? That's very worrying...

He speeds up. Heads to his parents' house. He can't really think of a way to touch the mannequin. Even if he could paint. Or whatever Donghae did. Because Donghae always sits with Leeteuk. Or the mannequin. He doesn't leave either alone for long.

"Almost there, princess..."

 

---

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter