Remembrances

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hyukjae stays human for just under three hours.

Donghae sees him. Day by day. He's starting to regain something.

Like before... it brings Hyukjae tears sometimes. Because he doesn't remember it fully. But the feelings that come with it overwhelm him.

It isn't easy. But Donghae's patient. Determined. To help Hyukjae. To get him to remember him. To support and guide him through it.

This time... he hopes he can protect him. Hopes he can get his secrets out of him... before it can lead him... wandering through the streets... alone...

Donghae continues his work. He's gone back to the same routine. He gets everything out of the way at night. To be free for the hours Hyukjae's alive.

Every time he leaves the house... he places some food. A note. Just in case Hyukjae turns alive earlier. If he changes... remembers...

Donghae would need Hyukjae to know: He's loved. He's wanted.

He hopes for it. That Hyukjae does change. And remember. Because it would mean... Hyukjae has gone to his previous state. Like when he didn't need to turn back into a mannequin each time.

But every time Donghae leaves a note... or food... it's untouched. Hyukjae turns back in the mornings. His time lengthens each day. But he reverts to his mannequin form.

It follows the same pattern.

Donghae's more careful too. This time. To not unintentionally upset Hyukjae. Scare or hurt him. He doesn't want him to become mannequin in sadness. He reminds Hyukjae everyday before he's turned into a mannequin:

I'll see you tomorrow. I'll be waiting. I love you.

So far... it has been okay...

 

---

 

"Donghae..."

He gets a full-spread shoved into his face. Luckily... it's just a kiss.

Donghae has given Hyukjae a light romance comic.

"This makes me feel..." Hyukjae stops. Pouts. Turns the book back to himself. Puts a hand on his chest. "I feel stuff. Here. W-Why?"

Donghae hums. "Do you like the stuff you feel?"

Hyukjae pouts more. His eyes are on the page. Then up on Donghae. Then on the page. His cheeks blush. His eyes flick up to Donghae again.

"What is it, sweetheart?"

Hyukjae seems shy. Donghae pats the space on the couch next to him. He hasn't been working anyway. He's just been watching Hyukjae. And texting his brother. He keeps Donghwa updated about Hyukjae. Gives him as little information as possible. But he promises him of meeting soon.

Hyukjae sits beside him. He's left his book on the floor. Donghae puts his phone aside. His heart skips at Hyukjae's expression.

"You know you can tell me anything, right, baby?" Donghae tells him.

Hyukjae nods. "Um... I don't think I have anything to tell you... but c-can I ask you something?"

Donghae smiles. "Of course."

Hyukjae's holding his own hands. Tightly. He glances at his lap. His ears are red.

"Um... y-you said you love me..."

"Yes. I do love you."

Hyukjae looks up. Adorably happy. Then glances at his lap again.

"A-And you say you already know me... and I knew you..."

"Yes."

"I f-feel like that too... that you knew me and I knew you a-and you loved me..." Hyukjae takes a breath. Looks up again. "So if y-you loved me... before... um, d-did I love you too?"

Donghae takes his hand. Holds it gently. "Yes, I believe so."

Hyukjae's eyes widen. They shine. Donghae brings his hand up to his lips. Kisses it.  Hyukjae's cheeks turn pink.

"I... I like that," he whispers.

"That you loved me?"

Hyukjae nods. "I t-think I like the stuff I feel. It feels like... good stuff. N-Not always. Sometimes... it hurts. Here." He clutches his shirt. Over his chest. "But... right now... I think it's good."

Donghae can only kiss his hand.

Hyukjae inches closer. "H-Hae... baby..."

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Um... in t-the book... the two people... they loved each other..."

"Yes..."

"A-And... we loved each other?"

"Yeah..."

"S-So... did we... um, d-did we... kiss too?"

Donghae's heart jumps. But also hurts. He touches Hyukjae's cheek.

"Yes, we did. You loved kissing."

Hyukjae gasps. "I... I did? I f-feel like that too! T-That I w-would love it! When you say nice things to me a-and give me delicious food, I w-want t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter