Unwitting

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Donghae checks Hyukjae's wallet. The cash's in there. He gave him his card too. If he needs it. He rereads Hyukjae's list. Puts it in his back pocket for him.

"Okay, so, wallet is here. List is here. And your phone is here. You don't--"

"Don't touch the phone. I understand!" Hyukjae's face is serious. He nods.

"Yes. Just so the call doesn't get disconnected or something." Donghae smoothes Hyukjae's hair. Gently touches his ears. "You can hear me through them, right?"

"Yes!"

"Okay, so you can take one out, but don't take both out. If they fall out, you just--"

"Put them back in my ears, I understand!"

"Yes," Donghae says. "And I can hear everything you say too."

Hyukjae giggles.

Donghae's worrying. Too much. Repeating too much. But, . He's never done this.

He found Hyukjae a fanny pack. Wired earphones. He put them through his shirt. Inserted them in his phone. So that they're stuck to him. To the phone. His own phone's on speaker. Donghae's connected their call. It's ongoing. It's meant to be on for the entire time. He'd considered video. But then Hyukjae might be distracted. His hands would be occupied. So this is safer.

"Can I go now?" Hyukjae says.

"Um, y-yeah, in a minute."

Donghae looks over Hyukjae once more. He's wearing white sneakers. A purple shirt. Shorts. The black fanny pack is around his waist. Everything should be in the pockets. His earphones are in.

Good.

Even though Donghae's so nervous... Hyukjae looks adorable. Donghae meets his eyes. They're sparkling with resoluteness. Hope. Donghae smiles. Cups his cheeks. Kisses him softly. Then again. Several times.

"Okay. You can go."

"Okay!" Hyukjae says. He beams. Turns around. 

Donghae opens the door. Let's Hyukjae step out. Holds his arm.

"Baby... please talk to me the whole way..."

"Yes, I will! Don't be scared, Hae! I know where to go and it's not far and I won't take long and I won't buy a lot!"

"Yeah," Donghae says. "Okay. Go now. Before I change my mind..."

Hyukjae laughs. He leans forward. Kisses Donghae. Then pulls the door.

"I'm going to close it! But we can still talk to each other!"

"Oh... y-yeah. Okay."

Hyukjae peers at him. Slowly closes the door. He speaks behind it.

"I'm still here! You can hear me, right?"

Donghae laughs. His voice comes from his phone too.

"Yes. I can hear you. Loud and clear."

"I'm gonna start walking now. So you walk too. Back to your work."

"Alright," Donghae says. He takes out his phone from his own pocket. "Are you walking?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay, I'm walking too. Watch where you're going, baby--"

Donghae steps on a pile of clothes. They'd left them when dressing Hyukjae. He turns around. Picks them all up.

"Donghae?"

"Yeah, I'm here, sweetheart."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, just fine. How far are you?"

Hyukjae's voice turns cheerful. "I'm on the sidewalk now!"

"Okay, watch for cars and for people and give them way--"

"Yes, I know!"

Donghae's dropped the clothes. On the bed. He'll put them away later. He goes back to his work. Places his phone beside him. Picks up his pen.

"Where are you now, Hyukkie?"

"The weather is so nice, Hae!"

"That's wonderful -- where are you now?"

"I'm still walking!"

"In the right direction? Did you cross at the intersection yet? Did you wait for the man to light up?"

"Yeah! I crossed! I see the store!"

Oh... he's walking fast...

"Y-you don't have to hurry, baby. Take your time, okay? Don't get hurt..."

"I won't, Hae! Don't worry!"

Donghae breathes in. Tries not to worry.

 

---

 

"But Hae..." Hyukjae's voice says. "You said I can take my time..."

Donghae taps his pen on the table. Gives in.

"Right. I did. Okay, baby... you can get..." Donghae mentally calculates. He gave Hyukjae more than enough money. But he doesn't want him getting confused. By the amount. The numbers. "Okay, you can get three snacks."

"I can get the cookies?" Hyukjae shouts. Excitedly.

"Shhh... please..." Donghae says. He imagines Hyukjae standing at the aisle. Holding the box of cookies. Shouting to himself. "Yes. The cookies and two more things."

Hyukjae squeals. It's quieter now. But Donghae actually hears him skipping.

"Just... make sure you can carry that stuff home, baby..."

"I can! I'm strong!"

"Alright..." Donghae says. 

He goes back to drawing. It's the cover. It needs to be sent soon. Donghae bites his lip. He has to focus. He's still outlining the remaining half. .

Then someone's at the door.

"Hyukkie?" Donghae says.

"Yes!" Hyukjae says. From the phone. "Hae, I'm looking for that chewy sweet stuff!"

"Wait a minute, baby," Donghae says. Gets to his feet. Grabs his phone. "I think Leeteuk's here." Donghae's been ignoring everything on his phone. He's stayed connected to Hyukjae.

He did get texts...

"Leeteuk? Teukkie! He came to visit?"

"Yeah, maybe... okay, yes, it's him."

Donghae opens the door. Leeteuk's got Koongie with him. He looks concerned.

"Donghae? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, come in."

"Teukkie! Teukkie, helloooo!"

Donghae holds up his phone. Laughs.

"Hello?"  Leeteuk replies. Koongie raises her head. Alert. "Is that Hyukjae?"

Donghae nods. Hyukjae shouts, "Yes! It's me! I'm shopping!"

Leeteuk glances at Donghae. Shocked. "By himself?" he whispers.

Donghae grins. He's somewhat relieved. Leeteuk's reacting the same way. So Dongha's not the only one to worry now.

"Yeah..."

Donghae walks back to his drawings. Puts the phone down. Leeteuk sits near him. Up on the couch. Keeps Koongie close.

"Hyukkie, did you find your candy?" Donghae says.

"No..." Hyukjae sounds pouty.

"Do you remember where the chips were? It should be near that aisle..."

 

With Leeteuk present... Donghae works more freely. Hyukjae's happy to report what he's doing. What he's buying. Leeteuk responds to him. Donghae gets to laugh quietly. Just listen to the two.

Hyukjae ends up finding all his sna

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter