The Book

Mannequin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Hae... everyone's drinking coffee all the time but I can't understand it!"

"What can't you understand about it?"

"It tastes sooo bad!"

Donghae hums. They're preparing breakfast. Hyukjae brings him plates and mugs. 

"Mama Park asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee! So I told her I don't like it! Then oh, in the book I read! They always go for a coffee date! How can they enjoy it? How can you take someone you like for coffee?"

Donghae chuckles. He cuts Hyukjae's sandwich. Then his own. He passes Hyukjae the plates. Turns to the coffee pot.

"Not everyone's coffee tastes like mine, sweetheart."

Hyukjae comes back from the table. Watches him fill his own mug. Donghae now notices... the second mug.

"Oh, what's this for...?"

"I thought I should try coffee again because everyone's drinking it and now that I'm more human and my body is alive all the time so maybe it will taste better to me!"

Donghae laughs again.

"I don't think your tastes have changed," Donghae says. He fills half of Hyukjae's mug. "But sure, you can try it again."

"Okay!" Hyukjae beams. Takes his mug with both hands. Carefully walks to the table. "Let's eat!"

"Yeah, just a moment," Donghae says. He grabs sugar. Milk. Water. An empty glass. He fills it with ice cubes.

He places all those on the table. Sits down. Smiles at Hyukjae.

He's blowing on his coffee.

"I think... you'll need some sugar," Donghae says.

"Yes, please!"

"Let's start with one teaspoon," Donghae says. He stirs that in. "Now try it."

He knows it's not enough. But he wants to see this.

Hyukjae nods eagerly. Picks up the mug with both hands again. Blows. Slurps. His face scrunches up. His chair moves back. He whines. Wails.

Donghae laughs.

"Haeee!" Hyukjae cries. "It tastes sooo baad!"

"I'm sorry," Donghae says. He passes him the water. "Let's try two spoons?"

Hyukjae takes huge gulps of water. His face's disgusted.

"No... I don't think... coffee is for me..." Hyukjae says. Defeatedly. "I'll just drink milk and juice.... forever..."

Donghae snorts. He was going to increase the sugar. Slowly add milk. He'd get to see Hyukjae's cute faces. But now he puts in four spoons of sugar. Fills the rest of the mug with milk. Stirs it all in.

"Okay, love, you can do that," Donghae says. He pours the mug contents into the glass with ice. "But first, can you please give this a try and then you can give up coffee forever?"

Hyukjae's wary.

"I swear it tastes better," Donghae says. "Well, to you it would."

Hyukjae poutily lifts the glass. Looks at it for a few moments. Then takes a small sip. His eyes widen at Donghae. He takes another sip.

"Oooohhhh!" he says. "Is this how everyone drinks coffee?"

"Not everyone, but some crazy people like you do," Donghae says. Chortles. "You like it?"

Hyukjae takes more sips. Shakes the ice in glass.

"I don't know if I like it... but it's yummy! I can get used to it. It's not as bad as yours. Why do you drink it like that?"

"I enjoy it like this, Hyukkie," Donghae mutters.

Hyukjae giggles. Starts on his food. Donghae watches him with a smile. He realizes Hyukjae's eating... quickly. Again.

"Hyukkie," Donghae says. Lowers his mug. "Do you have to go with Teukkie again?"

Hyukjae nods. His cheeks are stuffed. He forces himself to swallow.

"He said he'll come at ten! To pick me up! A-And you have to meet your editor, right? It's today, isn't it?"

"Yeah..." Donghae says. 

"Great! I will come back when you come back!"

"Okay..."

Leeteuk's picked up Hyukjae twice now... since the night he brought him back late.

Donghae's been unsure. They say it's to see Leeteuk's parents. His grandmother. They want him. But... Hyukjae gets slightly... nervous. Changes the subject abruptly. Whenever Donghae asks.

Donghae actually planned to drop him off at the Parks' today. Because of his meeting. But if Leeteuk's already coming... then it makes it easier.

He needs to speak to Teukkie though. There's something about him too. The way he glances. At Hyukjae. Smiles. He also discreetly looks at Donghae. When he comes. As if he's checking for something. But Hyukjae always ushers him away.

"Was everyone... okay?" Donghae says. 

Hyukjae blinks up. "Oh, the Parks? Yeah! Mama Saeron told me about Papa Sangchul again. She was feeling happy!"

"That's good. What about Mr. Park? What did he want to talk to you about?"

"O-Oh, um... food!" Hyukjae says. "He wanted to see me!"

"Today, too? He wants to see you? For... food?"

"Y-yeah! Mama Park said I can have lunch with them!" Hyukjae says. Pauses. Hesitates. Then adds, "Um, she said... to ask you to come... too..."

"Oh, she did?" Donghae says. "When did she ask?"

"Um, yesterday..."

"Did you forget to tell me?" 

"Y-Yeah," Hyukjae says. He pouts at his sandwich.

"Well, I can't today," Donghae says. He reaches to lift his chin. "Maybe next time, okay?"

Hyukjae appears relieved. He smiles. Nods. "Okay."

They continue eating. Donghae regards him. Then he hears his phone. He gets up.

"That's work," Donghae says. Apologetically. "I'll be back in a minute, Hyukjae."

"It's okay!" Hyukjae says. "I'll clean up! You can do your work, Hae!"

 

---

 

As he's getting dressed... putting his things together... he can hear Hyukjae. In the kitchen. He's washing their dishes.

Donghae wants to talk to him properly. But right now he needs to focus. Make sure he doesn't forget anything. It's been long. Since he's met his editor. Donghae knows he'll be pissed. If Donghae cancels. He grabs his laptop. His charger. His sketchbooks. All the roughwork he's done so far.

Hyukjae passes by him silently. Gives him a smile when he's noticed. Then cutely tiptoes away. Donghae double checks if he has everything. That his editor requested. He places his bag by the couch. Goes after Hyukjae.

Did he want to say something? Ask him something?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter