Memories

Destiny

I woke up earlier than usual, Yongsun was deeply sleeping so i carefully get off the bed and started washing up. As I finished, I went out and saw Mrs. Kim cooking breakfast at the kitchen, "Oh Byul, you're up! come sit down and have some breakfast" I sat down and look around at the variety of food prepared on the table. "Are we having guests, Mrs. Kim?" "No we dont, its just for us and just call me Auntie, I'm not used to people calling me Mrs. Kim" I was relieved that Yongsun's mom is warming up to me "Ok, Auntie" I smiled, "Shouldnt we wait for everyone to eat?" I asked. "Weekend here is different, we have our own time, I let them relax and enjoy their free time as much as possible since we have hectic days everyday of the week" I was not used to this kind of set up but its good, like no pressure "So Auntie can you tell me about what happened to Yongsun after the operation?" I was genuinely curious because Yongsun cant fully tell what happened since all she did was being in that moment. "Well I havent told this story for a long time now, let me finish what I'm doing and I'll join you there, just eat first". So I ate patiently because I know this is going to be a long story and I want my full attention. After Mrs. Kim did all the kitchen work, she prepared her coffee and signed for me to follow her outside the garden. 

 

We sat side by side, looking at the pretty small garden they have while Mrs. Kim sips her coffee then she started telling me the story.

"Yongsun before the surgery was having a hard time, she's always sick and we kept bringing her to the hospital too many times. She told us that if she wants to live her life fully and less worries she has to have that surgery." I'm nodding the whole time listening, this is so Solar, the eagerness of her personality really shows. "So we scheduled the surgery and as you already know it failed" I nodded "yes I was there" "We didnt know when will be the next, she is so adamant to finish this all before she graduates that we asked again if we can schedule one before the year ends. The doctor said that they could and since Yongsun is getting worse everytime and the visit to the hospital is getting frequent they scheduled it during December." She drank again her coffee before it got cold and I was looking around if Yongsun managed to get up already. 

 

Mrs. Kim continued "It was December 20, they performed the surgery directly unlike the first one thats why Yongsun has a big scar from below her neck upto the middle of her body. It was a success, she woke up and she is already playing with her siblings Yonghee and Ravi after 3 days of surgery. Since she's showing great results, the doctors decided that they can already remove the pump of her heart. It didnt bother us because its what they observed and we looked at Yongsun and she is doing fine too. At Christmas Eve we went home for a while to eat dinner since Yonghee and Ravi deserve some holiday break from all events that is happening in the family. Then we got a call from the hospital saying that Yongsun needed intubation because of difficulty in breathing and they are just informing us and everything is fine at that time." I nodded as I became skeptical since intubation is some kind of hard procedure for patients. 

 

"Then we went to the hospital on Christmas day, there are also a lot of friends that came to greet Yongsun and look at her situation, so it is quite hectic on our part, we looked at Yongsun although it bothered us that there is a tube helping her breathe at least we know is that she's ok and getting better. We are so busy that we didnt observe her for a long time, because visitors keep coming by" This is making Mrs. Kim uncomfortable reminiscing these moment but she kept on. "The next day, me and my sister were talking at the couch looking at Yongsun, I noticed that she is looking at us and tearing up, I thought that maybe the intubation is hurting her so I asked her and she moved her head saying no, so I went back to my seat and then her surgeon came." I was so drawn to Mrs. Kim story, its like I'm listening to a drama on radio.

 

"He checked up on Yongsun, he asked her to lift her left arm and then she did, he then asked her to lift the right but she didnt, so the doctor asked her to lift her left leg where she did it with ease then he asked again to lift her right leg but she lift the left one, so the doctor came up to her and checked her vitals and looked at the nurses beside him, next thing I knew he was already shouting and asking them if something happened when he was gone and hurriedly ordered them to put Yongsun in ICU. Me and my sister are so confused, the doctor told us that Yongsun might have suffered a ." My heart is beating so fast when Mrs. Kim is telling the story, i think of the situation and if I was there I might have slapped the nurses around.

 

"I called your Uncle and informed him that Yongsun is in a bad situation, the whole family was there waiting for what the doctor would say. Then when he came back he told us that she suffered from the caused by the blood clots in her heart and then  it travelled towards her brain. They are lucky to have stopped the damaged to her whole brain although now only half was functioning properly." I was getting angry at this time "Didnt you try to sue this hospital for their negligence? clearly if they havent removed that pump, that wouldnt happen" Mrs. Kim sighed "We dont want to go through those hardships at that time, all we worried about was how Yongsun would survive" "Well they practically ruined someone's life, Yongsun could have been a great lawyer since she's so smart" i said. 

 

"We have so much to deal with at that time, when they finally removed everything on Yongsun, they returned her to a regular room then we noticed something, she looked oblivious. She reconizes me, her dad and her siblings but when other people came she has this questioning look. That's when we knew she didnt remember anything although she recognize her family but no one else. She couldn't talk, she doesnt know anything except us, she was diagnosed with amnesia since she had brain damaged" that stings my eye, I wanted to cry, its like tragedy after tragedy is hitting my face and I cant do anything about it. "After 3 months, we were talking inside the hospital room, Yongsun was clinging on her bunny stuff toy and rubbing its nose like what she does when she was a child then suddenly she cried, she cried so much and then she looked at me and the word came "MAMA" and thats when I knew she remembered everything." I almost laugh, I could picture Yongsun in my head crying and saying mama like her life depended on it.

 

"We prayed a lot, the hospital cost was next, but fortunately her boyfriend at that time Eric, had a lot of connections in Seoul, he asked a lot of charities who can help Yongsun and that paid off almost all of her bill." "Wow, I never thought Eric can do that." Mrs. Kim nodded "I talked to Eric before Yongsun's surgery, I told him that he should take care of himself first and finish his studies, if he and Yongsun are really for each other then so be it. Well I think they are not, since he got married before Yongsun got better and she already forgotten him." then I was genuinely sad "Its like a tragic love story" "Yeah, it was" Mrs. Kim said. "During those months in the hospital Yongsun undergone series of therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy. She can somehow walked when we left the hospital, so when we got home all our friends that are waiting for her thought that she might be bedridden or in a wheel chair forever. So they where so shocked when they saw Yongsun jumped out of the car and greeted them. They were so happy and some of our friends cried, they saw Yongsun up and about, the tension in their minds are relieved, so we prayed for her speedy recovery."

 

"Well that was quite a story Auntie, I wouldnt have known what to do at that time if I was there" Mrs. Kim nodded "After 7 years Yongsun is not that quite well yet, she is not the same anymore" I sighed "At least we still have her, I think that Yongsun's life before is quite fast for her age. She achieved a lot, almost got married, if that happened I think she isnt staying with you anymore." she agreed with me "Yeah, this is her second life, I want her to enjoy this life as much as possible, that's why we are letting her do what she wants" then the door opened, We both looked at a sleepy Yongsun, scratching her eye as if to adjust to the light outside "What are you doing here?" I smiled at her and said "Nothing just reminiscing"