009

DARLING

Ii

 

It was supposed to end 15 minutes ago but yet, Dahee still in her Java programming lecture. She wanted to swear at the nerd guy over and over again for extending the lectures. Her professor was about to end his class of the day with his last slide on the chapter but that guy suddenly raised up his hand and ask the professor to re-explains the coding again.

 

There are two things that made her mood gone bad today. Firstly, Harin was sick and unable to come to class, she have nobody to divert her boredom while she listening to her professor. Secondly, her hair dryer wasn’t working this morning and she had to take extra time to dry her hair manually and she had to skip breakfast for the day.

 

She already grumpy since early morning and by extending her Java programming lecture was only another factor added to why-she-hate-today list. If only Dahee had more times in the morning, she would have gone to Baekhyun cafe and get and coffee shots to make her stay awake.

 

Speaking of the devil, oh yes, Baekhyun is indeed the devil she referred to. It’s almost a week since Dahee saw him. Too bad that Art class was cancelled due to her professor unavailability, she have no chances to meet her crush for the entire week. Not only that, he was not spotted in the faculty as well.

 

Dahee was about to broke her daydreaming and walked out of the faculty foyer when she heard a familiar voice calling for her name. It wasn’t Baekhyun tho, she swear that she can recognise him by only breathing. Curiously, she stopped in her tracks and turns around.

 

“Hello, Dahee” Jongin greet him politely. She likes how he still polite with her even though they have been friends for quite sometime. She noticed how three of the best friends have different personality. Jongin is a bit shy, Jongdae is a friendly one and Baekhyun— he simply annoying.

 

He then added, “Are you done with your classes today?”

 

“Hello, Jongin” She smiles and nodded her head for his previous question. “Yes but I have group discussion around 8pm”

 

Jongin check into his watch and if based on his calculation, Dahee should have 2 hours for her free time. “Would you be able to spare some times for me? I want to bring you somewhere, if you don’t mind”

 

“Well, sounds good. Let’s go” It will be awkward as she never spend time alone with Jongin only, but as she didn’t have anything to do, Dahee agreed to join him.

 

She was surprised when Jongin bring her out to the uni soccer field. It almost 6pm and she can see that there are many students hanging out around the field and uni soccer team was there as well to practice. It wasn’t weird when she finally spotted Baekhyun from afar on his training, he is the soccer captain after all. But what made it weird is why would Jongin bring her there.

 

The tan guy had bought her a chocolate roll and banana milk at the uni convenience store on their way to the field. It was so embarrassing that her stomach suddenly growling because of hungry. Jongin just smiles and eventually tell her that it was his fault taking her time to eat after back to back classes earlier.

 

They both sat on the bleachers while observing Baekhyun training. This is the first time that she see his athletics side and she was just so grateful that Jongin brings her today. Dahee diverts her attention back to the field and continue admiring her crush.

 

Baekhyun is perfect enough for her and the best part is finding out he play a sport after Dahee get to know him— It's like a bonus on top of everything else that attracted her to him in the first place. Who wouldn’t like athletic boyfriend?

 

Jongin then prompting for conversation, “What do you see in him?” Even if his question was quite strong, Dahee remained calm.

 

“Saying everything will be too cheesy but yeah, I do like everything about Baekhyun” She answered cooly.

 

“Okay, then, what are you seeing now?” He pointed out to the field, where Baekhyun and his team practicing. Jongin has caught her attention by his weird question.

 

Dahee quirk her eyebrows in confusion, “Well, there is Baekhyun playing a football. I can see that looks so serious but somehow—“ She gasped when she finally realised what he meant by it.

 

“— He look so unfocus” Dahee finishes her words and Jongin nodded in agreement.

 

“Exactly!” He glad that Dahee get what he meant by.

 

She probably didn’t know Baekhyun that long, or close enough to know his personalities, but she know from his expression, Baekhyun didn’t enjoy his time on the field. He just looks so uninterested in the training, like he play the game without a soul.

 

During her conversation with Jongin, she learnt from him that three of them was in the same team, but Jongin had to excuse himself until the end of the season as he caught with injuries. He then tell her that Baekhyun was appointed as the captain of the team and they have been playing soccer together since their second year in uni.

 

Jongin then tell her that he was indeed lost his passion for football but merely there as to help their coach back. Baekhyun has been funded by his coach during his studies because they were close, or he can’t simply back off from the team as he please. At least, Baekhyun want to repay his coach kindness in this way.

 

Everything was working fine for Baekhyun for all these uni years as a captain. He loves soccer the most among them. Until there is a new intake for team and they have a new player joined. Some of them start to gang up among themselves and pull a plan to bring him down from the captain position. Baekhyun only found out two months ago and that is when he started to lost interest in soccer.

 

When Jongin was asked why he tell her all of this, as this is seems a private issues for Baekhyun, he said that that he wanted Dahee to know all of Baekhyun sides. He wanted the girl to know that his best friend are not as bubbly and strong as he looks like, but also a side that he has been hiding from everyone. Jongin think that Dahee can help Baekhyun in gaining his interest back in soccer.

 

Preeeet! Preeeet! The sounds of whistle blowing repeatedly broke down her thought at that moment.

 

“What are you two doing up there?” Baekhyun now had his both hand on his waist and his expression doesn’t look good. He was standing on the field near to the bleachers.

 

Jongin grins, enjoying his time to beloved roommates. He then annoyingly greet him, “Hello there, captain!”

 

“You—“ He pointed out to Dahee, “Why you have to sit so close to that ?”

 

“What close— We are just—“ Dahee tried to defend herself but seems Jongin just ruined her plan when he suddenly put his arm over her shoulder and grab her closer to him.

 

And of course, it automatically made Baekhyun mad. The grumpy guy had to blow the whistle loudly again, before he yelled to his friend across the field. “Kim Jongin you !”

 

 

Dahee consider herself lucky on that day when she spotted a familiar figure as soon as she walked out of the computer science faculty building. She just finished her multimedia lecture and done will all classes for the day. It was only 3pm in the evening when she finally free.

 

She tried to walk even faster to match with Baekhyun big steps. He is a man after all and the fact that he have a longer legs than her not helping Dahee at all. Decided that she have to take extra measures, she then jogged to his direction.

 

“Baekhyun! Wait!” She screamed from afar to get his attention. He actually noticed her and stop in his track.

 

Dahee was panting when she reached to him. Baekhyun noticed that ask her to relax a bit before speaking. “Cool down woman. You are almost out of your breath.   Are you looking for me?”

 

“Oh— yes, I kind of need your help Baek” He passed her his water bottle to calm her down.

 

“Hey, I have to take someone voice for my multimedia class, will you be my victim Baekhyun?” Her eyes sparkled, hoping for the miracle that he will agreed.

 

“What would you ask me, if you knew the answer was no? And why me?” He asked back, obviously not interested. “I’m not going to sing for you. Go ask someone else. You know that Jongdae can sing too” He said matter of fact.

 

“You’re the only one I know that can actually sing” She explained desperately. “Plus, you know that Jongdae had sore throat due to your karaoke session last weekend”

 

It was Baekhyun fault that Jongdae lost his voices for past days. Jongin was too stress with his final year project and he thought that his friend might need a little help to release the tension. Even when he was the one who initiated the plan, but Jongdae himself should have self control and to not go all out (as if they all not).

 

Contemplating if he should help her or not, it took him approximately 4 minutes to think. Which lead to him shakes his head multiple time indicating that he wouldn’t join her for her project.

 

It took her exactly the whole 15 minutes to made him stay under the sun and pleading him to help her. She has been asking him non-stop, pleading him and even begging him to lent his beautiful voice for her project.

 

Screw her lecturer when the professor decided to give individual task for his student to shoot a music video as their monthly assessment. Dahee can’t sing and that is her biggest problem. Harin already had her partner to help her, which means Dahee only have once choice now— get Baekhyun to star in her video.

 

As if her whinny is not effected him at all; Baekhyun still with his same answer. He would not do it. He was done with classes anyway and want to go back to his dorm. Baekhyun then ignore her and walk even faster to the male dormitory complex. He thought that he will be safe once he stepped into building as girls are not allowed there.

 

But he was too quick in making judgement. Byul Dahee already following him secretly from behind.

 

“Please please please, Baekhyun” She begged him. “Please help me”

 

His respond remind the same even when Baekhyun almost melted due to her cuteness. “And— my answer still no”

 

Baekhyun then close the door right in front of her face. He was so sure that she probably left the building and eventually give up in asking her to participate in her event. But when he heard nothing but silence, he was so sure that she might stay at the same spot.

 

Especially not when he suddenly heard a big thud sound, and followed by a muffled screaming sound from her voice. He knew this will never be a good sign. Curiously, Baekhyun open up his room door and notice that she already fell down on the ground.

 

Dahee grunts in pain when he finally called her name, slowly she lifted up her face to see him; Baekhyun had 50 percent worries in his face and another half probably going to be mad at her for causing a scene. Luckily, it was not in peak time where most students will be back in their dorm. Or else, she will be dead. It was her fault for being stubborn and instead, going up into the chair outside his room to take a peak inside from the window.

 

Baekhyun facepalmed as soon as he saw how she had her back on the cold floor trying to surpass the pain on her . He looks around to see if there is possibility of anyone can see them but when he see no threat, he quickly pick her up in bridal style and carry Dahee with his arm into his room.

 

It was one of the day that he glad that Jongin and his parasite roommate, Jongdae was not around. Or else, he will have issue in answering them why Dahee was here at first place; even when initially it wasn’t Baekhyun fault at all. Knowing them, he sure that they won’t buy it if he said, ‘she was following me and all of sudden fell in front of our dorm so I was being a gentleman help her with her pain’.

 

Dahee finally can let out a breath when he put her down into the edge of his bed. As if she stopped breathing the moment Baekhyun had her wrapped around his strong arm. She wasn’t that light, Dahee was so sure but she was secretly enjoyed being carried by her crush. The last time that she got to be this close with him was when she fainted due to her asthma attack.

 

It wasn’t that tragic but he did save her again and it was like a deejavu— minus the part that Dahee glad that it happened repeatedly.

 

“How is your foot?” He asked, his eyes now looking into her right foot, Baekhyun delicate fingers trails from her ankle to her heel.

 

“Auch!” She flinched and tried to remove her foot away. Dahee glad that Harin did introduce her to all those foot masks to keep her foot pretty or else it will be too embarrassing if he found that she has a cracked heel.

 

Noticed that the girl in front of him seems can’t take the pain, Baekhyun then let go of her foot and stand up from the kneeling position. He then went to his drawer and take out the massage oil that he always use after his football practice and bring it to her.

 

Dahee was ready for him to throw the bottle right into her face or even worst, she did thought that he will ask her to leave his room straight away. That will be mean considering that she probably can’t walk normally but this is Byun Baekhyun she talked about— he capable to do this. But then, his action next make her heart beat faster than it already is.

 

He plopped into the bed beside her but still leaving a comfortable space among them. Baekhyun then looking at her as if he asking her permission to touch her leg, when he saw that she relaxed her body and agreed, he then take the injured one into his lap.

 

“This probably will hurt you a bit” He warned, but with a softer voice. “I’ll be gentle with you”

 

With his free hand Baekhyun pour the massage oil into his hand and start to rub into her foot. Luckily that he play sport and have experiences in dealing with sprain ankles. Dahee can’t imagine that her ultimate crush is the cause of her leg disability.

 

Dahee flinched again when he hit the point. She was to immerse in screaming that she didn’t notice that she already gripped into Baekhyun hand. Her eyes closed, “Slow down. It’s hurt”

 

“Sorry— sorry” Baekhyun now caressing her foot even softer, if that possible. At this point, it didn’t seems that he will help her to heal but mostly to coaxing to tell her that she will get better. He tried to massage her again, but with a different technique. “How was it now? Tell me if it still hurt, okay”

 

She nodded and open back her eyes. Only then Dahee noticed that she still holding his hand, a little bit too tight. Shyly she withdraw her hand immediately and adverted her gaze into her lap while playing with her fingers instead of focusing on him. When was even the last time she felt so embarrassed like this.

 

“You look like a tough one, but really,” Baekhyun paused and smirk, “You are just like a baby, Dahee. I never know”

 

“Know what?” She replied, as she curious about his impressions on her.

 

Baekhyun smiles and keep massage her in a comfortable pace, “I didn’t know that you are this cute and adorable”

 

 

It was a bright Sunday and good enough for Byul Dahee. She squeals in excitement while setting up the props to use in her project and even humming to her Arina Grande song. Patiently, she waiting for Baekhyun to arrive to get the shooting started— she is going to see Baekhyun singing live and by thinking only already made her so happy. It will be a perfect day, at least she thought.

 

Her injured foot is fully healed now thanks to her friends help. She took 2 days sick leave and Harin happily assist her in copying her lecture notes and help her on her assignment. Not only her roomates, Dahee also get helps from Baekhyun, which she gladly received without any complaints.

 

It was spur of the moment when Baekhyun text her right away after she reach to her room the day she fell down and got her ankle sprained. (He had to asked for Jongin and Jongdae help to cover up for him while he sneaking Dahee out of male dormitory complex).

 

Baekhyun has been sending her lunch everyday while Harin at class and also make sure that she didn’t walk much to get heal and teach her the basic steps to massage her foot. Luckily her injured wasn’t that bad, but still, Baekhyun warned her that if he see her walking around with her limped foot, he wouldn’t help in her multimedia project.

 

He arrived 10 minutes later than he intended, but as she was asking for his help, Dahee can’t even complain. But at least, he came prepared. Her eyes widen when she see Baekhyun selection song as he handled her the music lyric sheet. “You are going to sing this song?” She asked, her voice full of excitement.

 

“Yes, why? You don’t like it?” He asked, afraid that he accidentally choose the wrong song.

 

“I don’t like it,” Dahee replied right away. But she starting to smiles back when she added, “I love it! This is my—“

 

“— Your favourite song, am i right? He is one of your favourite singer but this is your favourite song right?”

 

Dahee was puzzled, “How would you know?”

 

“Trust me, Dahee. I know a lot about you” Baekhyun probably aware how he can affected her, but he probably forget how his action can give her a heart attack right away, especially when out of nowhere he winks at her.

 

This is crazy and her heart cannot handle this much.

 

It wasn’t a heavy, serious video, but just Baekhyun singing Zion T - Eat song with nothing but a brownish wood vintage stool and a white screen background to match with the concept. He is wearing a simple white shirt; two buttons on top leaving open showing his collarbone slightly and fitted acid wash jeans to complete his looks.

 

The concept is simple, he will sing and Dahee will take multiple shots from different angles before she compiles and do some editing before submit it as a complete project. Knowing that Baekhyun is just a programming student and not an idol, she just ask him to be himself and sing.

 

Did Dahee mentioned that Baekhyun have a nice angelic voice? She thought that she probably in her dreamland when he start singing. God definitely took a good time in creating Byun Baekhyun, she thought. How come someone this attractive have a complete package for a good voice too. As he was done with his first practice, Dahee convince him that he is good enough and proceed to take first shoot.

 

“Wait no— Baekhyun stop. This is wrong” Dahee had to stop the recording for awhile. “You need to look at the camera directly! Not look into me!”

 

Only then he realised that he has been doing it wrongly. “Sorry, I got lost in your eyes. What were you saying?” Smooth, Baekhyun. So smooth.

 

Blushing, she then added, “Just— Yah Baekhyun please stop smiling to me, it’s creepy and for god sake we are recording a video now”

 

“Then should we stop recording and stares at each other, instead?” One thing that he really good at is, making Dahee panic all over the place like this with his teasing.

 

It took a lot of takes and re-shoots as they both are not pro for this. Dahee only know a basic skills in photography while Baekhyun, he still stiffed and shy when she asked to be more expressive in the video. Only after 2 hours they finally done with the session.

 

Unexpectedly, from the videos she took, the outcome is surprisingly good. Of course they are some bloopers like Baekhyun sneezing all off sudden when he was singing or Dahee forget to click record as she was to immerse in his singing, well, it happened.

 

Who will blame Dahee when she have her crush serenade her with her favourite love song. Indeed, Baekhyun choose a perfect song.

 

 

Eat - Zion T

 

At such times, take out this song

Enjoy it like a piece of chocolate

Make sure you eat your meals even if you're tired

Then I'll compliment you later

 

I miss you

I like you a lot

I want to hug you more often

I feel something like love for you

Maybe I really do love you

 

When you feel hungry, take out this song

Eat it like a morning apple

Make sure you eat your melas even if you're tired

Then you'll be able to sleep better at night

 

I'm worn out

By your beauty

Please notice me

Please don't let me pass by

Please love me

Don't let go

 

 

“Here, I bought you something for you” As promised, Dahee did treat him with coffee once they done with recording session. She give him the food package that she ordered earlier.

 

Baekhyun quickly muttered thank you for her consideration. He took out ice americano from the pack and noticed that there is a small container inside it. “What is this?” He asked.

 

"Some apple pie for the apple of my eye?" Dahee teased and Baekhyun burst into laughter.

 

“Really, you are so extra Dahee” He offers her to take a bite of the apple pie but she reject it politely. He stretch his arm a bit to relieve the muscles pain. “Ah! I didn’t know that shooting can be this tiring. My mouth is drying and I swear I can feel the soreness of my lips”

 

Dahee took the opportunity to by leaning forward and eyeing his pretty lips, “Do you want me to kiss it better, darling?”

 

“That is very sweet but if you touch me I might punch you” He chuckles. The fact that she is flirting with as if that is nothing to her always amazes Baekhyun. Where she get all the confidence.

 

“You are the most hopeless romantic person I have ever met. Why do I even like you” Dahee grunts in annoyance.

 

“Maybe because I am handsome, taller than you and have a pretty smiles?” Funny how Baekhyun clearly remembered each of her ideal type. “You are too obvious in expressing your love for me, Dahee”

 

“Don’t be too confident Baekhyun, let’s not pretending that you’re not affected at all” In a swift moment, she already close the proximity between them and twist his hand to pull up his smart watch. Dahee motion to the screen where it display the heartbeats, “See, it’s beating faster for me"

 

 

 

 

A/N: AHHHHHHHH I NEED A BOYFRIEND (like Baekhyun, please)