016

DARLING

Pp

 

Past hour all Dahee did was yawning in her Prof Jung calculus class. Funny how she can get sleepy in math class but that is the reality when they put the most boring professor on the schedule. It wasn’t appropriate and obviously not a good trait as she did not focus on the lesson but to think when her professor will end the class, but she just too sleepy now. Dahee swears that her eyes will get bloodshot soon as she tried to keep it open and try to get the input of the lesson at the same time.

 

Today was the day that she felt sleepy the most. Honestly that is the excuse she will tell herself in every single morning class she had. She wanted to blame her boyfriend for keeping her awake until 3 am last night, but when she think back, it was her own decision at the first place to keep him company practicing for the alumni talk that will be held today at her uni.

 

Around 11 am when she finally done with the only class she had for the day, Dahee received a text message from her boyfriend saying that he has arrived at the venue. It is her faculty career exhibition week that the trio (Baekhyun, Jongin and Jongdae) was invited to give a motivational talk as alumni of their uni. Fun fact, she was the one who suggested their name to Harin, who also one of the committees of the event.   

 

She walked to them as soon as she spotted the trio at the café near their faculty. Dahee greet Jongdae and Jongin with so much excitement while waving her boyfriend lazily when he complaining he did not get much attention from her. Cute but Dahee shrugged it off by saying that she saw him every week, there is no need to put so much energy to greet him. It is one of the moments that he wants to poke her eyes out.  

 

While she accompanies them to the auditorium where the talk will be held, suddenly there a group of her junior approaching them. “Is that you Byun Baekhyun?” The girls screaming his name as they are excited to meet the uni heartthrob. “Oh my God. It is so good to see our handsome senior back in the uni!”

 

He smiles politely. “I have a talk program in a bit. Please join if you guys free”

 

“We will come just to see you!” The girl cheers and about to take out her phone probably to selfie together when Dahee pulled her boyfriend arm out of nowhere.

 

“W-what? What—Why are you suddenly like this?” Baekhyun asked as he clearly confused getting dragged away from the scene.

 

Her eyes shot back to her boyfriend, “Don’t pretend like you did not get it, Baekhyun”

 

“But I don’t—oh!” His eyes widen and soon followed by laughter. “You are jealous, aren’t you?”

 

“That was my steps taken on you before we got into this relationship babe!” She huffed, clearly uncomfortable with the whole situation. “I was like that, one of the girls that chasing you around until you finally reciprocate my feelings”   

 

Baekhyun then come closer and hug her, buried Dahee angers with his warm. “Relax baby. My eyes only for you, you know that right?” He then pecked her on the lips not caring if anyone else will see them.

 

“Later when you are on the talks, close your eyes if anyone sending you love winks and pretend to be deaf when they confess to you okay” She gently remind him as she know well how the girls going to behave especially seeing a handsome speaker like her boyfriend.

 

Dahee then added, “I am a bit possessive when it come to my boyfriend, remember that Baekhyun”

 

“Little? No darling. You are hella possessive!” He which only received playful smack on his arm when she shoos him to go backstage to prepare. Not too forget, Dahee did the two fingers poking eyes warning, as a sign for him to behave.

 

It was a cozy, light talks among students to received tips from their alumni. They mostly sharing their experience in surviving uni life, final year project, and much more studies related hack. From three of the panel, she concludes that they all do have their own way to overcome stress, how to study, suit with each other personalities.

 

Jongdae, he is the role model type. Paying attention into classes, take a simple note for own reference, make a revision during free time. That was his style. While Jongin, he always believes that it must be balance. Studies is important but he balance it with sport and socialize to make it less stress. While Baekhyun, the jokes telling the students the key to do well is to always get a smart friend and get all the assignment solution from him.

 

The next point in his talk, Baekhyun added; get someone that can motivate them to do well. He is starting it with saying that it can be anyone—a friend, a roommate, a supportive lecturer and in his case, a muse. That cause the hall to make some noise as most of them know who he refers to without even need Baekhyun to put a name. Thanks to his sudden sentence that made Dahee fanning herself with her hand as she was too embarrassed at that point.   

 

 It does make sense how Baekhyun was motivated because of her, as she remembered one of the secrets that Jongin and Jongdae told her was how Baekhyun struggle making revision for the project that they were doing together just to make sure that she don’t have do to much work. He even sleeps late everyday making sure that he covers more part of the assignment so that she will have more time to rest instead of focusing on the project.

 

When she was told about that, she immediately felt bad for Baekhyun. When they were working together, all Baekhyun did was complaining about everything and sometimes he was not that serious during discussion which made Dahee pissed. That is why despite her feelings toward the boy, she used to call him ‘lazybyun’ because he was incompetent as a team member. Little did she know, he does help her a lot in the team.

 

But now the ‘lazybyun’ is now a successful person and a man that she proud of. Through out the years of struggling, he managed to secure a good position in the well-known international IT company and now slowly build up his name as a software engineer. Even if he was destined to not be her boyfriend, she will always look forward to the person who has inspired her in every way—Byun Baekhyun.

 

Their talk of the day was wrapped with each other giving thanks-to speech for what they have right now. When it come to Baekhyun turns, again, Dahee had to hide her face with her hands when he being sweetly telling everyone that; beside his family and his best friends, his girlfriend play a big part of his journey as his mood booster every time it felt hard, and the reason to his smiles to keep going every day. Dahee swears that she saw Jongin, Jongdae and Harin almost puke to his romantic remarks.

 

Dahee was the one who approached them when they are done with the program. “You guys are doing amazing earlier. Good job!” She praised.

 

“It was fun to share our experience as alumni. Maybe we can do this again, don’t you think so Jongdae?” Jongin then received a nod from his best friend as agreement. “I miss uni life”

 

It is now Baekhyun turn to agreed. “Me too. Remember we had the best times being student? Less commitment, less stress. It was fun though especially with you two”

 

“Ehem” Dahee on the other side clearing purposely to get Baekhyun attention. Sure, three of them spent so many times with each other and create beautiful memories during their times in uni, but he should not leave the part where Dahee comes in picture.

 

“And of course, with you Miss Dahee” He took one of her hand and clasped it together with him. “I had to admit that your presence spices up my journey. I swear it will never be the same without you”

 

Jongin rolls his eyes at the couple which obviously too in love to notice their friend existence now. “You guys are super cute, but I swear we don’t need any PDA at this moment. As we are already here today, suddenly I crave for fried chicken” He is drooling when thinking about the fried chicken they always had during uni time.

 

Jongdae and Dahee immediately changing glances between them when he mentioned about fried chicken. She just recalled the scene that was happened back then. When Baekhyun suddenly came up with the unplanned fried chicken gathering just to get her out of the café he worked at that time. She clearly remembered how surprise Jongin and Jongdae was when Baekhyun entered the restaurant with a girl with him.

 

That was just a jealousy moment when Baekhyun can’t even keep calm thinking that Sehun might take his chance and steal her from him. It was funny when Jongdae told her that Jongin teased Baekhyun to give him 10 reasons why he was so mad when Sehun flirted with her when she wasn’t his to begin with. Out of all the stupid reasons he gave, there was one thing that leave a big impact to them.

 

“Because I think I already like her since beginning”  

 

 

As early as 9am, Dahee already waited outside of her dorm entrance gate with her brand-new sneakers that her sister, Han sent from Jeju to for a date with her boyfriend. She did anticipate on today date as Baekhyun said that it will be different one from what they usually do on weekend. Tapped her feet on the ground excitedly, her face lit up when a car approaching her.

 

She did not recognize the vehicle, but she does remember the familiar face. Even if one day Baekhyun come with a full covered mask or even a sunglass to cover his handsome visual—Dahee will recognize him right away. The way he calls her name, or how he smiles, she had all tattoo on her mind for a while. Or maybe, she just has so much love for him that everything will remind her of him. But curiosity get the best of her when today he came with a black Hyundai sedan that she never seen before. They went to dates using public transport on a basis.

 

“Morning baby!” Baekhyun greet her as soon as he rolled down the car window asked her to get into the car. Deejavu—this has happened during their fake date back then. Having Byun Baekhyun as her boyfriend always what she dreamed of but now as everything is so real it made Dahee blushing early in the morning. She has come so far from what she imagined.

 

“Baek, whose car is this? It looks new to me” She asked while looking into the car interior. It quite amazed her that there is new car available for rent services.

 

He smiles at her and then place his hand on her thigh, “Is it nice? You like it?” She confused but still nodded to his question. “Surprise baby, this is my new car. I bought it for us too”

 

“Oh my God baby seriously?” She gasped. “Baekhyun, this is your own reward baby. Treat it for yourself okay?”

 

Dahee was so genuine when she said that she is proudest girlfriend. “I’m so proud of you baby! You always said that you want to buy you own car and now that you afford on it, Baekhyun—” Dahee caress his cheek and smile affectionately. “I’m so happy that one your wish list become true”

 

One of the values that Dahee have is her pure reaction and support in whatever he does. She never failed to always there with him through his hardship and smiles with him with his accomplishment. “I’m glad now I can bring you anywhere my girlfriend wants to go, we can go to any café to treat you with nice desserts. Long drive, short vacation; all with you, I cannot wait”

 

“Me too, Baekhyun darling” She close the gap between them to share a sweet kiss before Baekhyun drive off to their date.

 

It wasn’t a long drive as it only took 30 minutes to arrive to the destination. He claimed it as secret that she will only know the answer when they reached there. She spotted the historical building along the neighborhood and it gave her idea that he might want to do something artistic like calligraphy with her today. Her mind starts thinking about they both write a poem for each other and that, surely will be romantic.

 

Passed two blocked she can see that the calligraphy workshop has passed behind, and prediction was totally off as she sees no sign of they going to do the activity today. He should have remember that her boyfriend was not a big fan of art. Dahee being the curious person she is, she keeps bugging Baekhyun with hints, but he just shrugged it off. Upon arriving to the shop lot, her eyes widen when she read out the signboard of the business.

 

“Baekhyun, this place so cool. Where did you find it?”  She asked while following Baekhyun to retrieve their admission ticket from the counter. “I mean, I never think there is such a place for cook-play”

 

“Well, I’m the best boyfriend in the world so find a good place for date is nothing for me” Baekhyun said snobbishly.

 

She shrugged her shoulder at his annoying attitude. “Say someone who always leave up the decision for where-to-eat ideas”

 

“You can’t blame me after I wrongly brought you to the Italian restaurant that turned out you dislike the most. You are sulking all day just because of that” Baekhyun attacked back.

 

Dahee snorted. “I had PMS on that day! And they serve like the worst pasta I ever taste!”

 

“Oh god women! I have said sorry for thousand times already” He shake his head and roll his eyes. That is their nature, if they are not being sweet to each other, they will be bickering like Tom and Jerry all day. “But I’m going to make up to you today” Baekhyun playfully wiggles his eyebrows.

 

Baekhyun then took two apron that was hanged on the wall for both. He folds his apron into smaller fit and hang it on the lower part of his body. He then took another one and turn her girlfriend around to wear it for her from behind. As he secured to tie it around her waist, he took the scrunchie from her wrist and tie up her hair into a bun.

 

The package of the rental kitchen comes with all food supply for them to cook. They just need to choose type of dish that they are going to cook, and the organizer will prepare it. Baekhyun looking so cool when unpack the goods from the box and lay out on the kitchen island as he is preparing ingredients. Dahee was looking at him tentatively, curious with what he wanted to do.

 

“You are going to cook Baekhyun? Wait—you know how to cook?” Dahee asked seriously. Seems like her boyfriend going all out to impress her today.

 

“Well—I—” He stuttered which make Dahee doubted if they both can have lunch today. “I can try” But as Baekhyun being confident, she just nodded and being supportive.

 

At first, he seems doing okay with whatever he had it plan. Baekhyun even managed to wink at her across the room before starting everything as the sign that he is okay, and everything is manageable so far. He starts boiling the water, preparing the portion of pasta that he is going to cook (she noticed that Baekhyun keep doubting the amount of pasta for two pax).

 

He then excuses himself from Dahee as he goes back to the counter to ask them how to use the induction cooker to start cooking. From the way he chopped the vegetables and peel off the shrimp itself showing that this might be the first time he does it by himself. She still remembers his mother told her that Baekhyun had everything done by his mom when he goes back to his family house.

 

Three minutes later while she is playing with her phone camera to record his video, she suddenly see that Baekhyun had his eyes rolls above and start to squinted his eyes. Going up from her seat at the stool opposite of the kitchen island, she come closer to stand beside Baekhyun and monitor him. He does not look good and struggling with the item that he had on his hands.

 

“You okay baby with the onion?” She wanted to laugh so bad but nevertheless she took her sleeve paws and wipe out the tears that flowing from his eyes.

 

“This hurt me so bad” He whined like a little kid he is. “My mum did not include this as disclaimer when she sent me the recipe”

 

“You—you asked aunty for the recipe?” She asked for clarification. Dahee has been to Baekhyun home last time and she immediately fall in love with his mother Aglio Olio. “Just to cook for me? Even though you never cook before?”

 

Forget about the calligraphy romantic scene that she imagined earlier, this is more than sweeter than that. All this while she had been telling him that his mother pasta was one of the best that she ever had and Dahee even dramatically said that she doesn’t mind eating that for everyday in a week. The last thing that come to her mind is Baekhyun, who never cook before trying to make the dish just for her (even though it is a failing attempt but at least he had the efforts).

 

“I was trying to impress you and my mission is to make you cry at the end of the day feeling so overwhelmed for this handsome, talented, caring boyfriend. But I am the one who is crying instead!” At this point he just looking even cuter with his teary eyes.

 

Dahee tiptoed a bit as Baekhyun is taller than him. Blowing off both of his eyes, she kisses each on of it and telling him how cute he looked right now. Instead of just take over his whole plan to make the pasta, she decided to do it together with him. “Okay now move a bit Ratatouille, I’m here to save the lunch”



 

Every single moment, she always surprised him with her hidden talents that will never end. Just like a professional chef, once she grabs the spatula from Baekhyun Dahee start showing her skills that was just amazing. It just a normal sight for a girl who can cook starting to make her dish, but for Baekhyun, her girlfriend is just so talented and skillful.

 

Instead of standing beside her and be her assistant, Baekhyun then move across and start pulling out his mobile phone to take a video of his girlfriend. Her hands were quick, and her action was on point. Baekhyun was so sure that if he still doing it by himself, they will probably get to eat their lunch around 5 pm in the evening.

 

“God. Dahee you look so amazing right now. It will be heaven to have this sight of you everyday” If anyone will worship her like a Goddess, Baekhyun will be the first person in line.

 

She chuckles, not comfortable with how messy she is right now. “I’m sweating here, and that will be a turn off point for you”

 

“And that just make you look hotter, babe” He smirked, still being the supportive boyfriend he is.

 

Dahee had her own version of Aglio Olio that she always uses but this time as to not let Baekhyun effort go waste, she decided to use his mother recipe. Luckily, it is such a simple menu, so she did not take so many times to prepare it. Once done, she gets it served and do some plating to make it more presentable. Dahee even give Baekhyun the chef kiss sign once she done with it.

 

All this while she always cooked it for her family and luckily her parents always praise what she cooked. As for Han, she is not a picker so will just eat whatever she fed her. But today, for the first time she is going to let her boyfriend to taste what she cooks, let alone a recipe from his own mother, Dahee had to admit that this is such a nerve wrecking moment.

 

Nervously, she bit her lower lips while waiting for his respond. He took one bite and take time to digest the taste. “How was it?” She asked when Baekhyun said nothing on his second bites.

 

“This is not only edible, baby. This is amazing!” Baekhyun genuinely praising her pasta while savoring it. “Damn, my mother should roll her sleeve now and thinking new way to win. I don’t know that you can cook this well”  

 

Dahee shrugged proudly and sip her ice americano that Baekhyun freshly brewed earlier. “You never ask me, Mr Baekhyun”

 

“I was just thinking that the question can be a sensitive issue for woman. Knowing that not all you guys can cook” She glad that he is such a considerate person. Baekhyun always is, there is no surprise on that.

 

“Personally, for me I don’t mind if my future wife doesn’t know how to cook. We are living in millennial era where we can always order good foods. But now that I know this is your forte, I think I’m lucky enough. I was supposed to impress you Dahee, but you beat me today!” Baekhyun playfully hide his face with his hand to show how embarrassed he is.

 

“You are good with everything, babe. Well maybe minus the cooking part, but hey, you made a delicious coffee!” She looks into his eyes to convince him that she is being sincere. “Joke aside, but I really think you are perfect Baekhyun. You are doing well with your work, you are nice to your family and you always there for me”

 

He is now playing her fingers to hide his shyness. This is not the first time Dahee openly express her love for him, but everything is so pure that it does made his heart flustered. “Thank you Dahee. You are such a nice person. Are you an angel?”

 

“Of course. I’m the prettiest angel for Byun Baekhyun” Dahee purposely said that, trying to make him feel better but she can’t resist him anymore when she suddenly kiss him on the lips.

 

Baekhyun pulls away from the kiss and look at her suspiciously, “I don’t know if the kiss was supposed to make me crave more for your pasta, or just your lips in general” He then caught her off guard by pulling her closer by her waist and kiss her passionately. “Because I just can’t get enough of it”

 

If she had to name one thing that Baekhyun good at out of the other things that she had to choose; Dahee will say that he is such a good kisser. She loves how he make her feel loved even by pressing his lips into her. The way he moves around and nibbles her lower lips to beg for entrance; all sudden Dahee felt like she was enchanted. It is the magic that only Baekhyun can make her feels like that.

 

Maybe it is the mood, or the ambience of the room (luckily, they had the cooking room all by themselves), or the adrenaline that rushed into both of them, but they seem can’t get enough with each other. Baekhyun was good with his mouth; either with his kisses or sweet words, it does send Dahee to cloud nine every time.

 

They only parted when Dahee tapped his shoulder as she almost run out of breath. The last thing that he wants is for his girlfriend to get asthma attack during their make out session. 1 hour left before their rental session time up, Baekhyun then make two cups of hot latte while enjoying each other presence. It will be perfect if they can drink wine, but considering that Baekhyun is driving today, caffeine will be a good substitute.

 

“Sometimes when I alone, I always think what if I could turn back time? You know, I really felt awful thinking back how I treated you back then. If I have the choice, I want to time travel and being the one who fall in love first with you” Baekhyun is always the sweet one, but listened to him saying the things that has passed, that always playing with her emotion.

 

“I didn’t regret it for a second” She admit boldly. “I still remember the day I listened to your voice for the first time; my mind automatically goes ‘I want him to be my boyfriend’. Being the one to chase first does not matter Baekhyun, as long as both of our heart know what exactly what we want”

 

Dahee then jokes, “But you are kind of annoying back then with your snobbish attitude”

 

“You were annoying too back then. Remember that you even followed me back to my dorm when females were not allowed at all!” They laughed when they remembered it again.

 

“I was desperate okay. I need someone to help me with my project” Even Dahee can’t believe that she was that determined with Baekhyun in the past. “And you are the jerk that cause the pain of my leg at the time. I can’t go to classes for days before you. You are so mean”

 

“I heard that a lot, but that is fine” He took her hand and intertwine it together. “Because I have someone who stay with me and change me to be a better man”

 

She smiles, “I’m glad if you are changing yourself for your own good. But please remember that I like the way you are baby. You don’t need to change for me”

 

“I can’t recite poem for you but my love, I really want you to be in my life in everything I do in future. Through thick and thin, that will sound good” Baekhyun does not plan to propose any sooner and so as Dahee as she is not ready yet for the next level of their relationship. But hearing what he said, it does make her relieved that he believes she is the one for him.

 

“You—you have me on the frame for your future?” She stuttered a bit, her eyes glistened with tears that threaten to fall.

 

He nodded and bopped her nose. “Always my darling. Everyone will want you to be their future and so am I. Which that means you must bear with my bad skills of cooking as we grow older”

 

“And heart shape art on my piccolo latte every morning” She add in the jokes as the laugh together.

 

 

 

 


A/N: I wrote this starting at 12.30AM and finished the whole chapter at 5.43AM (TT_TT) please show some love by upvoting this story and comments below :D

 

Anyway, I have post epilogue to Baekhyun angst 4 chapters one shot story. This will be great escape from the fluffiness of Baekhyun series.  The story has completed and that will be great if you can leave comment on that post too. Link as below:

 

Title: Almost Lover (Baekhyun x OC)

Link: https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1341966/almost-lover

Desc:No confession, no string attached but he keep showing his love towards her. One day she just had to ask him, ’what are we?’. Three shots Byun Baekhyun x OC.